Corona virus and entry to Sydney

Unless it's changed in the past day or so, it's checking whether you have come from a restricted country, and applying restrictions based on that, and recommending self-isolation and giving assistance as required.

There isn't extra physical checking of all, like you have in Asia.

My son arrived back in Sydney a week ago from a ski trip to Japan, he said he was not tested for corona virus - temperature check etc, either at Tokyo Airport or Sydney Airport on arrival.  Pretty slack in my opinion.

I think testing hundreds and thousand of pax at airports in Australia, including Sydney etc is beyond the authorities ability.  But tell you what, I went to my local Doctors this morning and was asked by reception staff had I travelled to Asia recently, if so, I would be directed to the public hospital across the road, not treated at the surgery which has 6 doctors.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

My son arrived back in Sydney a week ago from a ski trip to Japan, he said he was not tested for corona virus - temperature check etc, either at Tokyo Airport or Sydney Airport on arrival.  Pretty slack in my opinion.

I think testing hundreds and thousand of pax at airports in Australia, including Sydney etc is beyond the authorities ability.  But tell you what, I went to my local Doctors this morning and was asked by reception staff had I travelled to Asia recently, if so, I would be directed to the public hospital across the road, not treated at the surgery which has 6 doctors.

Does sound slack.  Maybe testing depends on where you travelled from. 

I am always surprised when they say go to your local doctor, if you have travelled overseas and feel ill.  Some say phone first, which would be common sense, so the people waiting to see the doctor don't get infected.  

Once the virus spreads, I don't think the hospitals will be able to handle the volume of people with the virus requiring treatment. There is already talk of cancelling non essential treatment. 

On 3/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, MMDown Under said:

Does sound slack.  Maybe testing depends on where you travelled from. 

I am always surprised when they say go to your local doctor, if you have travelled overseas and feel ill.  Some say phone first, which would be common sense, so the people waiting to see the doctor don't get infected.  

Once the virus spreads, I don't think the hospitals will be able to handle the volume of people with the virus requiring treatment. There is already talk of cancelling non essential treatment. 

Time to put up the army field hospitals and casualty clearing stations like they put up down here during the bushfires.  The defence force has a substantial number of doctors and nursing staff, get them out of barracks.

Edited by NSWP

On 3/3/2020 at 1:37 PM, NSWP said:

But tell you what, I went to my local Doctors this morning and was asked by reception staff had I travelled to Asia recently, if so, I would be directed to the public hospital across the road, not treated at the surgery which has 6 doctors.

I think I can understand that. The hospital would have the correct protocols that the surgery would not have.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:50 PM, MMDown Under said:

There is already talk of cancelling non essential treatment. 

On the radio the other morning someone from ' Health Dept' suggested that, as the worst of the coronavirus impact here is likely to coincide with the regular flu season,  elective surgery should be brought forward to clear hospitals for the virus patients.

If there us capability to bring forward elective surgery, why wouldn't we be doing that already, irrespective of any looming pandemic??

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

OMG, do I need to stock up on TP? 

Indeed, BYO TP on all Australian based cruises now.  There will be no 'corkage' fee on TP though, unlike the booze.😁  I hear Elites on Princess will get one roll of Princess brand of TP pp per diem, the steerage class, Platinums, Ruby, Gold and Blue cards will have to BYO.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Indeed, BYO TP on all Australian based cruises now.  There will be no 'corkage' fee on TP though, unlike the booze.😁  I hear Elites on Princess will get one roll of Princess brand of TP pp per diem, the steerage class, Platinums, Ruby, Gold and Blue cards will have to BYO.

LOL, there may no be corkage but they have very strict rules as to what type of paper can be flushed.

12 minutes ago, floridababa said:

Just heard that the Grand Princess is staying off the coast of San Francisco due to the possibility of Covid 19

Crazy that major problems have been princess cruise lines????

Now things are getting more complicated!

Not so crazy, Princess seem to have Noro outbreaks much more often than other cruise lines as well.

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Not so crazy, Princess seem to have Noro outbreaks much more often than other cruise lines as well.

Just heard that the Grand Princess is staying off the coast of San Francisco due to the possibility of Covid 19

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Then I must conclude that Princess ships does not clean very well 

36 minutes ago, floridababa said:

Then I must conclude that Princess ships does not clean very well 

Or perhaps just bad luck and they have the largest fleet.