How bad will NCL's reservation desk be tomorrow?

jxtgreek

I booked through Costco so I will have to call them, but  I am sailing Sunday March 15 but have NCL air leaving March 13. Is the 48 hours prior to the cruise date or March 13 the day of the flight?

i am assuming  I will but be getting the Airfare portion back in the FCC or will I?

10 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

What if you have a cruise booked for 2021 and want to cancel to get the money back? Can you call in today?

You might only know for sure by calling.  This being outside the window of the 'Peace of Mind' policy one would guess that would just be treated like the policy in place all along.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, lsmommy said:

I booked through Costco so I will have to call them, but  I am sailing Sunday March 15 but have NCL air leaving March 13. Is the 48 hours prior to the cruise date or March 13 the day of the flight?

i am assuming  I will but be getting the Airfare portion back in the FCC or will I?

Can't imagine the flight date being in play on this, they reference 'sail date' in everything.  If you have your flight through NCL Air then from their words that should be FCC too.  Either way, if you cancelled tomorrow wouldn't that still be within the 48 hour window even using the 13th flight date/time?

This is their wording ...

"may cancel up to 48 hours from embarkation"

Edited by poffles

1 hour ago, poffles said:

Welcome!

The only thing I added was prepaid the Service Charge, the only other thing was the taxes on the 'free included' Beverage and Dining packages so don't think any of those things can be canceled. 

Poffles, those are the precise things you can cancel for cash refund.  I was told by NCL I would be refunded to my credit card for:

1.  Prepaid daily service charge

2.  Prepaid grats on ultimate beverage pkg

3.  Prepaid grats on specialty dining pkg

If you change your mind about cancelling you can add them right back to your reservation, so your only downside is possibly the additional 50c/day on the DSC, and I’ll gladly take that hit if we end up sailing.

3 hours ago, jxtgreek said:

I have a wife with Rheumatoid Arthritis and our cruise was to begin 3/22 so I will be calling first thing tomorrow and staying on hold as long as it takes to cancel and get a future cruise credit.  No point in taking any chances.  So, unscientific survey here....who else is calling tomorrow and why?  

I wouldn't get too excited about tomorrow, according to the web site the effective date is the 11th, which is Wednesday. 

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence?intcmp=pro_hp_PEACEOFMIND

11 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Poffles, those are the precise things you can cancel for cash refund.  I was told by NCL I would be refunded to my credit card for:

1.  Prepaid daily service charge

2.  Prepaid grats on ultimate beverage pkg

3.  Prepaid grats on specialty dining pkg

If you change your mind about cancelling you can add them right back to your reservation, so your only downside is possibly the additional 50c/day on the DSC, and I’ll gladly take that hit if we end up sailing.

So what you list #2 and # 3 were the taxes you paid on the 'included' perk and not you choosing to fully add those things?

Just now, poffles said:

So what you list #2 and # 3 were the taxes you paid on the 'included' perk and not you choosing to fully add those things?

Neither these are taxes.  They are prepaid grats (think DSC for drinks and specialty dining).  If you call NCL and say “I want to remove my ultimate beverage pkg, specialty dining pkg and prepaid DSC, and get a cash refund” you should be able to get the $$ credited back to your credit card - at least NCL told me that was this case around 10 am today.  

As I said, there is almost zero downside to doing this, unless NCL does a price increases on any of these items - in which case, if you decide to sail, you’ll pay the higher price.  For me it’s worth the risk.

Do it today if you are going to go for FCC, or even think you are, because according to these boards, as of tomorrow the $$ from these will go to FCC.  In my case it was $1.1k more or less.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Neither these are taxes.  They are prepaid grats (think DSC for drinks and specialty dining).  If you call NCL and say “I want to remove my ultimate beverage pkg, specialty dining pkg and prepaid DSC, and get a cash refund” you should be able to get the $$ credited back to your credit card - at least NCL told me that was this case around 10 am today.  

As I said, there is almost zero downside to doing this, unless NCL does a price increases on any of these items - in which case, if you decide to sail, you’ll pay the higher price.  For me it’s worth the risk.

Do it today if you are going to go for FCC, or even think you are, because according to these boards, as of tomorrow the $$ from these will go to FCC.  In my case it was $1.1k more or less.  

Thank you ...

I still find it an odd reference to call what is charged on Beverage and Dining perk a 'PrePaid Service Charge' since it's not optional.  They definitely call it a Srv Charge on my statement but I not thinking of it as prepaid 'optional' thing since similar to the Daily Service Charge where you can choose to pay onboard.  Guess what you are saying is I could remove the packages entirely which ultimately removes the applicable Srv Charge for them.

My charges add up to closer to $500 US so debating.

13 minutes ago, poffles said:

Thank you ...

I still find it an odd reference to call what is charged on Beverage and Dining perk a 'PrePaid Service Charge' since it's not optional.  They definitely call it a Srv Charge on my statement but I not thinking of it as prepaid 'optional' thing since similar to the Daily Service Charge where you can choose to pay onboard.  Guess what you are saying is I could remove the packages entirely which ultimately removes the applicable Srv Charge for them.

My charges add up to closer to $500 US so debating.

Don’t get me going on bogus charges that I am not convinced go to crew.  But let’s not start THAT debate.  

But no matter what you call those charges, at least today I was able to get them refunded in cash.  You just have to know the words to use with NCL to make that happen if that’s what you want to do.  And yes, you remove the UBP, SDP and prepaid DSC from your reservation and request a refund to your credit card for the prepaid grats associated with them.  Remember, you can always add them back if you end up going on the cruise after all.

Mine were $1.1k because it was a 2-wk Haven cruise - we had 5 meal SDP, 2 x 14 days UBP X $20/day/person, and the higher (I think $18/day/person) DSC.  

Edited by erdoran

1 minute ago, erdoran said:

Don’t get me going on bogus charges that I am not convinced go to crew.  But let’s not start THAT debate.  

But no matter what you call those charges, at least today I was able to get them refunded in cash.  You just have to know the words to use with NCL to make that happen if that’s what you want to do.  

Mine were $1.1k because it was a 2-wk Haven cruise - we had 5 meal SDP, 2 x 14 days UBP X $20/day/person, and the higher (I think $18/day/person) DSC.  

Thanks ...  I have been trying to find something definitive on this and wonder if it is tied somehow to the sail date and final payment given my sail date is this weekend.  Guess I just need to call to find out what they say.

• Like 1

Just called CAS (TA) and they refunded me all these below ... just like erdoran stated!  A little less of my money being held by NCL so happy about that.  So now I will call tomorrow to get the FCC for the rest. I was okay with all on FCC but with choice I will take some back now.

Thank you erdoran!

Refunded ....

1.  Prepaid Daily Service Charge

2.  Svc Charge on ultimate beverage pkg perk

3.  Svc Charge on specialty dining pkg perk

Edited by poffles
  • Like 2

DH tried calling on Sunday when he first heard about the Peace of Mind policy. He was on hold for 36 minutes only to be told they weren't doing those cancellations until the 10th. When we look at the policy FAQ, that actually says it starts on the 11th and gives a new number to call: 1-800-327-7030 (U.S. and Canada).

We figure NCL has hired a new emergency call center group to take calls at this new number.

4 hours ago, erdoran said:

I asked about removing DSC, UBP, SDP for a cash refund, and she said for that I had to call NCL directly—about 5 mins hold time about 30 mins ago; rep had to get supervisor, all 3 removed and stated will be credited back to my card, total call time maybe 20 mins (a bit of a wait for supervisor).

Which number did you call...the "special Peace of Mind number" 800-327-7030 or the "regular" Customer Service number? I'd rather not wait on hold for an hour only to find I called the wrong number.

5 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Which number did you call...the "special Peace of Mind number" 800-327-7030 or the "regular" Customer Service number? I'd rather not wait on hold for an hour only to find I called the wrong number.

The regular customer service number, and I think prompt 6 "existing cruise" even though I am working with a TA.  She told me I had to call NCL directly.  I had my reservation # handy, and they didn't make an issue of the fact that it is a "through TA" reservation.

5 minutes ago, erdoran said:

The regular customer service number, and I think prompt 6 "existing cruise" even though I am working with a TA.  She told me I had to call NCL directly.  I had my reservation # handy, and they didn't make an issue of the fact that it is a "through TA" reservation.

I also booked this through a TA. When I called the number the recording says, "If you are working with a TA, please press 1."

I hung up because I figure once I get through they'll tell me to call my TA.

5 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I also booked this through a TA. When I called the number the recording says, "If you are working with a TA, please press 1."

I hung up because I figure once I get through they'll tell me to call my TA.

No, ignore that and just go to the prompt for "existing reservations"-all depends on how badly you want that refund.  Honestly, they didn't hassle me at all about the TA thing.  

15 minutes ago, erdoran said:

No, ignore that and just go to the prompt for "existing reservations"-all depends on how badly you want that refund.  Honestly, they didn't hassle me at all about the TA thing.  

Just got done with the refund process and like you said, it was easy. The only hang-up was they first had to cancel our shore excursion and dining reservations. After that, no problem. Also, almost no time waiting on hold. I owe you...😄

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, erdoran said:

My pleasure, @schmoopie17.  I saw this yesterday on CC but waited till today because I also thought I had to go thru my TA.  Glad to share the wealth - CC has been an outstanding resource!

Thanks again. As luck would have it, this post is my 1000th post on Cruise Critic and I figured the least I could do was dedicate it to you. 👍

• Like 2

As some have pointed out the website says that you can call a 1-800 number under the new policy  starting Wednesday.

However, I emailed my cruise guy at NCL and he said I could call him (directly) anytime tomorrow and he said he will take care of it for me.  I think that may be solely for those who booked direct with NCL?