I bid on multiple upgrade offers, which one do they take?

Timmay77

I have 4 upgrade offers. I bid on 3 of them. Which one will they take? I bid the most money on the one I want the most, of course, then less on the others. I called NCL, the person I spoke with did not have an answer, instead of me an email address to send an email to and ask. Thought I would ask here first.

9 minutes ago, Timmay77 said:

I have 4 upgrade offers. I bid on 3 of them. Which one will they take? I bid the most money on the one I want the most, of course, then less on the others. I called NCL, the person I spoke with did not have an answer, instead of me an email address to send an email to and ask. Thought I would ask here first.

There's no public formula...it may be based on what your base fare originally was, and what rooms are in the lowest demand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmay77 said:

Whichever one would make them the most money.  (Which is not necessarily the one that you bid the highest on)

Don't forget you are in a domino chain - maybe at the top bidding for a suite/haven or near the bottom bidding

up on an Ocean View Balcony even Mini-Suite.

When a bid is awarded at the top this creates a vacancy and the guests successfully bidding in the chain are moved

to a better cabin. At or near sailing time (48 hours before) there maybe a few unsold cabins not necessarily at the

top maybe balcony mini-suites and when the bids are awarded for those - these create vacancies.

The bidding process as I understand it is handled by a NCL contracted firm.

Not all the rules (if any) or algorithm of how the bids are awarded is made public.

On 3/9/2020 at 12:17 PM, Timmay77 said:

Whichever one makes the most sense to them. Logic dictates it would be the bid that brings them the most money. That doesn’t necessarily mean your bid was the highest of the bunch. For example, if you’re in a minisuite and bid 500 on a Haven Suite and I’m in a balcony and bid 600, they can upgrade you, upgrade someone from a balcony to a minisuite, upgrade someone from an ocean view to a balcony, and upgrade someone from an inside to an ocean view. If all of that adds up to more than what they could get upgrading me and everyone else below me, you’ll probably win.

I only bid on the rooms I REALLY want. For example, if I’m trying to get into the Haven, I wouldn’t bid on a minisuite (even a minimum bid) because it actually lessens the odds you get your Haven room. I’ve won bids about 50% of the time, but I also tend to sail off-season so there are typically more rooms available.