Explorer Not Going to Dry Dock

RBKL

We're booked on the May 27 sailing on Explorer out of Rome. Somebody on our roll call just posted this from her daughter who is crew on the Explorer.

Not sure what the plan is for our sailing however, we won't be on an Amped up ship if it does sail.

image.png.9a0b1d87d376db53a9536939000d8712.png

1 hour ago, RBKL said:

We're booked on the May 27 sailing on Explorer out of Rome. Somebody on our roll call just posted this from her daughter who is crew on the Explorer.

Not sure what the plan is for our sailing however, we won't be on an Amped up ship if it does sail.

image.png.9a0b1d87d376db53a9536939000d8712.png

Thank you for sharing this. It's a bummer that dry dock isn't going to take place but I can only imagine how much money they are currently losing

11 hours ago, kandj05 said:

It's a bummer that dry dock isn't going to take place but I can only imagine how much money they are currently losing

The dry dock will happen, it has to, but she will not get the full AMPlification.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

My guess is it will be the next scheduled drydock in 2 1/2 years or 5 years depending on the companies financial health. 

I wonder what will happen for the people that booked the rooms that don't exist on the ship yet?

36 minutes ago, broadwaycam said:

I wonder what will happen for the people that booked the rooms that don't exist on the ship yet?

Royal just moves them to different rooms of the same category.  Happened to us on Oasis.  Not sure what they do about the new panoramic category.

6 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

I can’t see the dry dock not happening. The ship cannot generate revenue anyway so no better time to push ahead with dry dock. 

As mentioned above, the dry dock is happening, it has to and will happen on the previously schedule timeline (next month), likely in the same facility - just the AMP features will not be done, so instead of spending $110M, RCI will spend maybe 1/4 of that to save cash.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

As mentioned above, the dry dock is happening, it has to and will happen on the previously schedule timeline (next month), likely in the same facility - just the AMP features will not be done, so instead of spending $110M, RCI will spend maybe 1/4 of that to save cash.

Is there any confirmation that the AMP will not happen?

My other point remains. Any business which starts doing the bare minimum to stay operational is advertising it’s financial desperation. Pretty hard to have that reality run alongside ‘wow’ ads. Wow to new carpets and a lick of paint? 😂

4 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

No, but the one for Allure has been confirmed and if they won't spend the money on her, it doesn't seem likely they will on Explorer.

5 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

My other point remains. Any business which starts doing the bare minimum to stay operational is advertising it’s financial desperation. Pretty hard to have that reality run alongside ‘wow’ ads. Wow to new carpets and a lick of paint? 😂

Fain has already come out and said that the scope of dry-docks and capital expenditures would be reduced by 1.7 billion  He was not specific as to ships but it is certainly a possibility. 

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

No, but the one for Allure has been confirmed and if they won't spend the money on her, it doesn't seem likely they will on Explorer.

Explorer was also confirmed.  They are not even heading over to Europe.  Floating around Freeport for now, maybe salvaging a partial med season 

Per current situation, I would expect earliest to see ships sailing from Italy at the begining of June ideally if situation allows to go full capacity in the Mediteranean in July when also the summer break will be happening in most countries.

By delaying the amplifications of Allure and Explorer they will secure probably at least USD 150 Million in short term liquidity. For Explorer it's logistically less problematic since the Amplification / dry dock can also be made at Freeport, however for Allure it would mean that the ship has to come back to Europe, which per current scheduling would only be planned every 5 years.

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Fain has already come out and said that the scope of dry-docks and capital expenditures would be reduced by 1.7 billion  He was not specific as to ships but it is certainly a possibility. 

I am guessing that all that money they had planned to put into those destination island stops around the world like Coco Cay will likely be put on hold.  I wonder what it will mean for the building of new ships that have not already begun.  I would not be surprised to see those new builds be pushed back a few years for their delivery dates.

1 minute ago, Russ Lomas said:

I am guessing that all that money they had planned to put into those destination island stops around the world like Coco Cay will likely be put on hold.  I wonder what it will mean for the building of new ships that have not already begun.  I would not be surprised to see those new builds be pushed back a few years for their delivery dates.

Where work has not yet started and there are escape clauses in the contracts then I’m sure much of that capital investment will stop.  Tricky situation with the new builds.  Cancelling those can put shipyards in grave danger and the cruise lines needs the shipyards to grow. This whole situation has ramifications beyond just the ships we sail on.