Will It Be Different? What Would You Change?

BallFour4

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

Oh good grief, you can't be serious. If you are, you need to include people with any type of heart disease, diabetes, being over weight, having to high of a cholesterol level, to high blood pressure, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum. Blllacchhh. How could you even suggest that?? Not  cool man. 

Cruise lines who ignore the realities of the current world we are and will be living in will be foolish at best, likely out of business at worst if they don’t take steps to reduce the likelihood of passengers coming down with an illness due to a virus like the coronavirus during a cruise. This is not an original thought. Cruise lines were already headed down this path before cruise lines cancelled operations. 

18 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Cruise lines who ignore the realities of the current world we are and will be living in will be foolish at best, likely out of business at worst if they don’t take steps to reduce the likelihood of passengers coming down with an illness due to a virus like the coronavirus during a cruise. This is not an original thought. Cruise lines were already headed down this path before cruise lines cancelled operations. 

Good discussion. Thank you for continuing it. You are assuming that the likelihood of passengers coming down with an illness like covid-19 is because of their medical conditions as mentioned above, has really yet to be seen, but at this point is mere speculation. To many of today's cruising passengers have a 'medical condition' that would preclude them from cruising. Think about it. Their conditions are many.   I submit it is way to early to make that speculation. Time will tell. 

Edited by Joe817

6 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Good discussion. Thank you for continuing it. You are assuming that the likelihood of passengers coming down with an illness like covid-19 is because of their medical conditions as mentioned above, has really yet to be seen, but at this point is mere speculation. To many of today's cruising passengers have a 'medical condition' that would preclude them from cruising. Think about it. Their conditions are many.   I submit it is way to early to make that speculation. Time will tell. 

I wouldn’t say it is mere speculation that people with certain medical conditions, to include the elderly, appear to be more likely to be impacted more severely by the coronavirus. But I do agree with your implication that there is still a lot to be learned about this virus. Hopefully over time scientists and the medical community will learn more about this current coronavirus strand and ideally at some point in the future a vaccination will be developed for it. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

On 3/17/2020 at 9:33 PM, chipmaster said:

Remove the capacity of ships, to enable further distancing of passengers ( increased prices? ) or reduced revenue / ship. 

this will never happen. look at what carnival been doing the past few years with all of the drydock refurbishment. they added cabins to the sunshine, sunrise, radiance and i read that it was the ecstasy or elation or some other ship that they converted the aft lounge to more cabins

On 3/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Consulting the crystal ball...

• I think the age of the average cruiser will drop significantly across all cruise lines.  Two reasons - the doctor's note requirement imposed on the industry what seems like a millennium ago, but was actually just a week or so; and the fact that COVID-19 has done its worse damage to the elderly.  IF the note requirement is dropped and IF there's a vaccine or cure, then senior demand might go back to where it was.  But I don't think so.
  • Based on the above, cruise lines that cater to older cruisers (you know which ones) will have a more difficult time recovering than those that cater less to them.
  • Carnival, which has the most U.S. embarkation ports, will be hurt less and come back faster.  Air travel is also going to be limited for some time either because of the airliners or by personal choice of the travelers.
  • I think the short runs (5 days or less) will do better than the longer runs, at least for a little while.  More good news for Carnival, relatively speaking.
  • Food self-service will be tougher to find, if not totally extinct.

The doctor's release will be the problem for me.  As long as they require it my husband will not be approved to travel  under their guidelines and I will be 70 in July, so I will also require one also.  No way in hell will I pay for a complete physical just to cruise and I'm not willing to pay for an office visit just to get my temp taken and my throat looked at either.  If I can sign a waiver then I might reconsider, but if it's a requirement then that will be the end of that

15 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

This is a policy change they might consider.

If Carnival cancels a cruise for any reason the effected cruisers will be credited with the number of nights cancelled for VIFP purposes.

If the cruisers don't rebook, the gesture will cost Carnival nothing.

If the cruisers do sail again the cost to Carnival will be negligible.

It would be great PR.

I was thinking this same thing.  Would help people get their points & be a selling point for carnival.  

1 hour ago, mek said:

The doctor's release will be the problem for me.  As long as they require it my husband will not be approved to travel  under their guidelines and I will be 70 in July, so I will also require one also.  No way in hell will I pay for a complete physical just to cruise and I'm not willing to pay for an office visit just to get my temp taken and my throat looked at either.  If I can sign a waiver then I might reconsider, but if it's a requirement then that will be the end of that

We have Humana as a supplement and our family doctor visits are zero and special doctors are only a $20 co pay.

9 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We have Humana as a supplement and our family doctor visits are zero and special doctors are only a $20 co pay.

My husband will never meet the conditions of the waiver, at least the way it's worded.  His doctor isn't going make himself liable if he signs it, so it's moot point for me.

Edited by mek