for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Hi girls, Kat, sounds like you got some good stuff😃

Well, we are now 1/2 way through November and I am doing more research for Medicare (65 in March)

There is a lot to read😮........

• Like 1

Well, I got my foot surgery date (doc was thrilled that I don’t want/need to get surgery  before the end of the year)  My surgery is 23 Jan 23 (I liked the symmetry). I’ll be on a knee scooter for 8-12 weeks. I found a scooter on Amazon for over $200 less than I can rent one for so I bought it…it’ll be delivered on Thursday (it’s actually kind of cute).

11 degrees & snow flurries here at 4pm. Melody

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Well, I got my foot surgery date (doc was thrilled that I don’t want/need to get surgery  before the end of the year)  My surgery is 23 Jan 23 (I liked the symmetry). I’ll be on a knee scooter for 8-12 weeks. I found a scooter on Amazon for over $200 less than I can rent one for so I bought it…it’ll be delivered on Thursday (it’s actually kind of cute).

11 degrees & snow flurries here at 4pm. Melody

I wish there were knee scooters back in 2007 when I did my leg!!!  Crutches for 3.5 months sucked.  Dotle  you have a nice little daypack to scoot with??  

The cold is here.  At least the ski areas can blow snow 24/7 now.  Park City Mountain opens Saturday - there are some on the other side of the hill that opened last weekend

• Like 1

It's been gray and drizzly here, not very motivating to do anything that involves going out.

Melody -- I don't belong to Costco. Just don't use up enough of most bulk items in a reasonable timeframe and have nowhere to store things....  However, I've got my eye on some deals at other stores.

Lois -- Good luck with your Medicare research. There's a lot of info out there.  If you have trusted friends, don't forget to ask their opinions too.  I feel lucky that my older sister already did a lot of the legwork in researching the choices, lol.

Kat -- I never did get to TJ's over the weekend (see first sentence).  Sounds like some good stuff (or bad stuff if I eat too much of it)!  I do want to get there before they sell out of the good stuff. I'm hoping they have the Peppermint Jo-Jo's this year....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I wish there were knee scooters back in 2007 when I did my leg!!!  Crutches for 3.5 months sucked.  Dotle  you have a nice little daypack to scoot with??  

The cold is here.  At least the ski areas can blow snow 24/7 now.  Park City Mountain opens Saturday - there are some on the other side of the hill that opened last weekend

My new accoutrement. I’ve rented these before, but this was so much cheaper to buy. I have my sling bag too. Melody

BC5AAE18-D891-4777-AF6B-E6C50537DAD1.png

• Like 3

Hi Melody, good luck with that new scooter. Looks pretty neat really! Almost like a bike. 

Well,  I just got my Medicare card in the mail. Since I have been collecting Social Security already they must know I am turning 65 soon LOL.  The card says it goes into effect on 3/1/23 and I will be getting more information in the mail soon. So, after all these years of working, my time for Medicare is actually coming around. Sometimes it seems very weird to me (Maybe it is just me)?........Senior Citizen, where has life taken me?  Etc....Etc.......Etc.......any of you have these thoughts too?

• Like 2

Melody - sweet machine!  You need to get some of those USB or battery powered mini lights and wrap around it for some fun!  If it was during Christmas, you could have velcro'd a wreath to the front!!!   But, being in Colorado, you can velcro a little deer or moose head to it 😹

Cynthia - they did have the Dark Chocolate covered Peppermint JoJoe's.  I turned my hair stylist onto those and they are now always part of her Christmas bag.  I wasn't looking specifically for the plain ones, and  they didn't have the box yet of the different flavored ones they get in for Christmas.  Got the peppermint mini meringues and the Candy Cane chocolate coated almonds for her bag.  The one worker said they are getting Holiday stuff in every week now.    I had some of the olive Fougasse last night - yummy and yummy with good olive taste.  It was in the section where the fresh baguettes and ciabatta rolls are found.  It was a nice surprise.  

Fashion update:  I love my leopard strap I got for my bags in Florence.  I wanted to buy one, maybe two more to go on my little duffle and my carry on bags.  I've seen more and more women with these straps on their purses so I went surfin' the 'net and found a company on Amazon that has a bunch of them!  And the price was comprable to what I paid in Florence.   search "replacement bag straps" and hunt for Zooeass, the one with 150 choices.  I know that a bunch of them have the same ones, but this one has way more choices.  I got the "colorful stripes" because it goes with all my Cotopaxi bags and then a "leopard 1" for my other crossbody (it's a normal small leopard print).  Gotta say, I get complemented on my one everytime I take it out.  If you have a bag that has detachable strap, check these out for a fun change!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody, good luck with that new scooter. Looks pretty neat really! Almost like a bike. 

Well,  I just got my Medicare card in the mail. Since I have been collecting Social Security already they must know I am turning 65 soon LOL.  The card says it goes into effect on 3/1/23 and I will be getting more information in the mail soon. So, after all these years of working, my time for Medicare is actually coming around. Sometimes it seems very weird to me (Maybe it is just me)?........Senior Citizen, where has life taken me?  Etc....Etc.......Etc.......any of you have these thoughts too?

The card you got is the usual Part A/B card.  You still have to figure out the prescription/part D/advantage plan stuff.  But, congrats on joing the "old ladies" club!!!   I'm still adjusting to it, after 4 years!  It started hitting me a few years ago - one day I was looking at myself in the bathroom mirror and went "Da#n, I got OLD!"  I still have trouble with not being able to do some of the heavy lifting I used to do.  But, I just call myself the old hippie lady and do my own thing.  

• Like 1

Hi Kat, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it😃

I decided to get a cornish hen for Thanksgiving. Much easier for 1 person, that is for sure.  Will make a sweet potato and some veggies and I will make some Stove Top stuffing too😃.

Anyway,  I will do more research on the part D/drug plan too..........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it😃

I decided to get a cornish hen for Thanksgiving. Much easier for 1 person, that is for sure.  Will make a sweet potato and some veggies and I will make some Stove Top stuffing too😃.

Anyway,  I will do more research on the part D/drug plan too..........

Lois, unless you are covered by your previous employer, you’ll need a Medicare supplement plan too, also called Medigap. It’s not cheap but it covers everything plain Medicare doesn’t. I’ve had both hips and a knee replaced and it hasn’t cost us a penny. We chose Plan F which is pricier than some of the others but it covers medical costs overseas after a $250 deductible. Be very careful if you are looking at an Advantage Plan, the ones that are heavily advertising now. They’re not all that the ads promise. The worst part is that your doctor of choice could be in the plan this year and then not next. Keep doing your research.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Riverroad said:

Lois, unless you are covered by your previous employer, you’ll need a Medicare supplement plan too, also called Medigap. It’s not cheap but it covers everything plain Medicare doesn’t. I’ve had both hips and a knee replaced and it hasn’t cost us a penny. We chose Plan F which is pricier than some of the others but it covers medical costs overseas after a $250 deductible. Be very careful if you are looking at an Advantage Plan, the ones that are heavily advertising now. They’re not all that the ads promise. The worst part is that your doctor of choice could be in the plan this year and then not next. Keep doing your research.

Hi, thanks for the information.....I saw that Medigap on the website. And no, I am no longer covered by my previous employer. 250.00 for a deductible? WOW...that is CHEAP!  And I have seen all the ads.....tired of seeing them actually LOL........but I knew I would need a supplement for sure. I will look at that Plan F.........thank you!!!!

Oh, tomorrow morning I am having my 2nd Shingles vax.......will let ya'll know how it goes.

• Like 2

Medicare doesn’t cover you outside of the country. Plan F covers medical expenses outside of the US with a $250 deductible. I believe you pay the costs you incur, submit the bill to your plan and they reimburse you minus the deductible. There’s a lifetime limit which I don’t remember off hand. I still think you need trip insurance with good medical coverage in case of a real disaster while traveling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Riverroad said:

Medicare doesn’t cover you outside of the country. Plan F covers medical expenses outside of the US with a $250 deductible. I believe you pay the costs you incur, submit the bill to your plan and they reimburse you minus the deductible. There’s a lifetime limit which I don’t remember off hand. I still think you need trip insurance with good medical coverage in case of a real disaster while traveling.

Hi, unless I am reading it wrong or not understanding something, I think plan F says if you are not 65 as of 2020, then you are not eligible for this one. Not sure why they penalize you for being too young.....I will turn 65 in 2023 so it looks like I can't have plan F:classic_sad:.........does that make sense? Or am I missing something?

34 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, unless I am reading it wrong or not understanding something, I think plan F says if you are not 65 as of 2020, then you are not eligible for this one. Not sure why they penalize you for being too young.....I will turn 65 in 2023 so it looks like I can't have plan F:classic_sad:.........does that make sense? Or am I missing something?

Look at a Plan G.  It is the best of the medigap policies.  You might want to look into joining AARP and look at their medigap policies.  For a plan D you can go to the medicare website and look for a place you can put in your current medications and it will give you the plans that include those medications.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Look at a Plan G.  It is the best of the medigap policies.  You might want to look into joining AARP and look at their medigap policies.  For a plan D you can go to the medicare website and look for a place you can put in your current medications and it will give you the plans that include those medications.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. Some of G's premiums look high to me but I will continue to look.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Lois, it took me awhile to adjust to having Medicare, made me feel very old!😂

But I had an eye exam the other day and am now awaiting my first pair of glasses for distance.  When I tried the first pair on and looked in the mirror, I got a little teary eyed.  I looked like someone’s grandmother!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

I've done cornish hen many a time.  I'm doing TJ's half turkey breast this year.  It's brined and fully cooked - all I have to do it stick it in the oven and get it reheated.  The remainder goes into soups and chili.  I've got my stuffing and veggies ready to go.  I just have to head to the state store and get a bottle of wine, most likely some kind of Pinot Noir.  

Let us know how the shingles vax goes!

My NP took a few vials of blood from me yesterday.  Today, she said the results are back and all is OK except my red blood ones are on the high side.  Could be from dehydration, since I hadn't had anything to drink for a good 12 hours and I wasn't feeling all that spiffy (my BP was way high for me, my pulse ox was 94 and I hadn't slept most of the night and I felt hyperglycemic).  Then she casually tosses in that it could be Polycythemia Vera.  Didn't explain what it is, but says she usually has people donate blood to get the blood generating better.  I look it up and it scared the cr@p outta me because it can be a type of blood cancer!!!   She just said we'd look at it again when I go back in the end of December.  Great - leave me hanging...There are some dietary things you can do also to help, but between those, the ones for Type 2 and the ones the ENT has me doing for silent reflux, I'd just be drinking water!!!  I think I'll try to ignore this for a month.

Dinner of the night:  I'm going to cook up some turkey burger and season it with TJ's Everything But The Leftovers spice mix and smother it in TJ's turkey gravy.  

Melody - congrats to the people of CO!!  Women now have the majority in both sides of the legislature!  Quite the accomplishment!!

For those who like all things Italian, I just got an email from a company I subscribe to that imports about a gazillion kinds of olive oil from Italy. What I didn't realize is that they also import lots of different types of Panettone, a very traditional Italian Christmas treat (sort of like our fruitcake but -- to me at least -- better).

I know TJ's often carries one brand, sort of the "universal one" but check out some of these different and more artisanal varieties. I may have to order one or two and test them out.... 

https://www.olio2go.com/collections/artisanal-italian-panettone?_kx=BGXu0jBE2_lxiC_nA3TbEG3fbk2zJCiWR15MxRP5AFs%3D.QZMSKN

"Panettone" literally means "Big bread" in Italian!

image.thumb.png.c143510ec9bc0d1515e56461fa083c4e.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

For those who like all things Italian, I just got an email from a company I subscribe to that imports about a gazillion kinds of olive oil from Italy. What I didn't realize is that they also import lots of different types of Panettone, a very traditional Italian Christmas treat (sort of like our fruitcake but -- to me at least -- better).

I know TJ's often carries one brand, sort of the "universal one" but check out some of these different and more artisanal varieties. I may have to order one or two and test them out.... 

https://www.olio2go.com/collections/artisanal-italian-panettone?_kx=BGXu0jBE2_lxiC_nA3TbEG3fbk2zJCiWR15MxRP5AFs%3D.QZMSKN

"Panettone" literally means "Big bread" in Italian!

image.thumb.png.c143510ec9bc0d1515e56461fa083c4e.png

Go to World Market too.  They actually have several flavors of panettone, and several other good holiday goodies.  And, Whole Foods usually will get in a lemoncello cream-filled one.  My TJ's has their panettone in now.

My Italian store down in SLC will carry, too.  But, I have to look at this website to see what goodies they have!  I love panettone!!  It's good as-is or with the traditional, toast it a little.  I've also done French toast with the traditional.  

Made my turkey burgers with the turkey gravy and I did add some mushrooms,  Good.  I've got one left for tomorrow...  

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

Cynthia - I just browsed that website.  It has a lot of the things that my Italian market carries.  I've got one of the Olivewood EVOOs but haven't cracked it open yet,  and I swear the Ruscichetta panettone are the ones at World Market - I recognized the color paper wrapping,  I'd love to try the one that has the basalmic creme filling - sounds yummy.  And, those panforte, wow,  One of my favorite sweets!!   

• Like 2

I think I'll go there, today, too.  I have to pick up a couple of storage baskets to turn into a pantry on my kitchen island. 

If anyone saw the ads for Wendy's new Peppermint frosty - I tried one yesterday.  Meh.  Not much peppermint taste to it and it was more like a shake than a frosty - they didn't even give out a spoon for it.   I still like putting the peppermint whipped cream onto my coffee instead.

I don't know if I mentioned:  At TJ's, they had these cute baskets woven out of newspapers.  They'd be great for making gift baskets - bought one to use for my hair stylist's gift basket.  

OOTD:  It's another cold day - mid 20s for the high, but it's sunny.  I'll go out in a pair of leggings, a Tshirt and my Patagonia.   It's my standard Winter uniform.  

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Cynthia - I just browsed that website.  It has a lot of the things that my Italian market carries.  I've got one of the Olivewood EVOOs but haven't cracked it open yet,  and I swear the Ruscichetta panettone are the ones at World Market - I recognized the color paper wrapping,  I'd love to try the one that has the basalmic creme filling - sounds yummy.  And, those panforte, wow,  One of my favorite sweets!!   

6 hours ago, awhfy said:

I love Panettone. Ooh, custard  French toast with panettone for Christmas morning, oh my!!  I’m heading to World Market!!!  Melody

No World Market near me, sadly....

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

No World Market near me, sadly....

bummer.  They used to be called "Cost Plus" - I still call it that once in awhile.

I did just get back from World Market.  The panettone is not the same brand (it's Muzzi Tomasso).  But, it's a smaller loaf (500 vs 750 grams) and half the price.  Worth it to me to give it a try.  Sadly, no basalmic creme-filled one, though.  Bought the cherry one.  And, since I was there, more candies & cookies to go into the basket for my hair stylist.  

And, no joy on the square storage boxes I'm looking for.  I guess a trip down to the far end of the Valley to Ikea is in order.  Nothing at the local HomeGoods, either. 

• Like 1