Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

And from our crew! - Top down, left to right:

Stimpy Grey Nog

Ren Tennessee

Mischief Elvis

Grey and Elvis are half siblings from a Trap/Neuter/Release that our neighbors did 15+ Years ago.

Ren and Stimpy are next. They are 11 years old.  Stimpy is  a mash up of Stormy and Gimpy - she came to us as a tiny kitten in a storm. Her leg was injured…Ren came from the Humane Society into a home full of Great Danes and cats and she just plonked down. We called her “Madame de Plonkadour”, shortened to “Reinette” and then just Ren, so yep, Ren and Stimpy. Mischief is our (adult) son/housemate’s cat. They came to use 5 years ago. She is the same age as Ren and Stimpy. Tennessee (Tuxedo) was tossed out of a moving car close to our house 3 years ago.  We have no idea how old he is. He came to us as an adult cat who needed help. Nog (Star Trek name) is last. He came to us in 2020 as a wild feral kitten. It took us 6 months to get him to come close to us and three more months to get him to trust us. We tried to find him a forever home. I guess we are it.

3FC98A80-6023-4C36-8924-854E4A2FB0A5.jpeg

Edited by Tonopah
  • Like 6

😞 I miss our wonderful cats. I can’t say goodbye to another one so we will enjoy the neighbor cats who travel across our deck and study our bird feeders. You all have beautiful cats and I wish I could reach out rub their chins.

• Like 1

As much as I love cats, I don’t have one of my own  🙁 but here is Jasper, my aunt’s cat. She was rather taken with his white moustache when she adopted him from an RSPCA centre. 

D2170904-0F77-4675-8C8A-8B5086D29F00.jpeg

• Like 5

Hadn't been aware of International Cat Day.

Bit of a waste of time as every day is a cat day. I came across some idiot writing that "they were once regarded as gods."  We all know that they are gods, and they know that as well and demand to be treated as such.

Hazel and Carmel had selected seats earlier that benefited from the air conditioning to keep themselves a bit cooler.

We're a bit concerned about Carmel (Siamese) as she's not eating as much as we'd like. Not sure if it's just the heat.  They were 13 on 25 & 26 January respectively with Carmel born about an hour after Hazel. In our experience that's quite old for small (6 to 7 lb) Orientals.

They came from a rescue centre at 5 years old, but we were told quite a bit about their previous existence. Their teeth and gums were in an awful state, with result Hazel now only has one tooth left, which she broke soon after moving to France, leaving a stump. Her gums are now quite healthy. Carmel still has quite a few teeth and I had an idea of mounting a dish brush where she could rub her teeth/gums on it and that seems to be keeping her gum inflammation under control.

They had been put in the rescue due to ganging up on their mother. However we only got that snippet of information when I went to collect them. We think Carmel attacked her mother who retaliated, Carmel screamed as if she was being murdered and Hazel came to her aid and attacked her mother as well. We quickly found out that Carmel wanted to attack our previous older Siamese who wasn't fit to retaliate. But we found that if we accidentally stood on Carmel's paw or tail Hazel would come running when she screamed and launch herself at whoever she thought was the culprit. We had to be vigilant while Cindy was still alive and thankfully had a way of splitting the house when we were out.

We are committed to always having cats. We believe it's our duty to provide a home for up to 3 cats for as long as we are physically able to look after them. Although I'm not sure we'll bring another in until both of these two go. Suspect their response might be more prolonged than normal. They were with Cindy for 15 months and never accepted her.

Anyway we all send greetings to the other lovely cats that have appeared here. although Hazel & Carmel probably hope they never meet them!

IMG_20220809_191020838[1].jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Great to see all the cats, most of them @Tonopah's ! Are Jazz and Biscuit camera shy ? Jasper's moustache is very cute.

It is rare to get a picture with them both in but I happened to catch them both staring out of the window I had just opened this morning. 

Here is Jazz helping with the washing, and Biscuit in his favourite box, which has split open as it is too small for him!! They are 5 year old brothers.

20220809_100824.thumb.jpg.1db6e848f35762970f15775fd8b05c20.jpg20220805_230356.thumb.jpg.573a2276fdd5504640e1e513322000ba.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Everything on QV seems pretty much back to  normal. The main exceptions being the crew are still wearing masks and no cocktail parties. 

I did a tour of the spa and gym yesterday and all of the facilities are open. 

Enjoy your trip. The sound of Mull is a beautiful part of the world, especially if the weather is kind to you.

Safe travels.

We are a tad cooler up north and our thoughts go out to those most affected. 

We had a lovely walk by the beach this morning and enjoyed a wee paddle in the sea.  
However, back to reality and am now busy pushing a wheelbarrow full off smelly stuff after taking the boys (horses) inside away from the heat and the flies. 

Everyone loves a nice sunny day but,....this is a bit much.

I had planned to paint the garden fence earlier in the morning but I got delayed. However once I eventually got started around mid-day, I quickly realised,...nah,......this is not a good idea, even with the factor 50 sunscreen slapped on, and a hat.  

Our son who lives in London was telling me how hot it was down there. 

Out thoughts go out to everyone who is affected by this extreme heat. 

Our forecast is thunder and showers for Monday to Wednesday with flood warnings! 

Oh dear,.......

And on The Cote d'Azur it was a bit more comfortable today.

Cool enough to share a bed!

I'm sure we'll see a few more scorching days, but hopefully past the worse.

The real issue is not so much the days, but when it doesn't fall below 25C at night for weeks on end.

IMG_20220813_183927154.jpg

• Like 5

We’ve had a break in the weather. Today’s temps are in the mid 80sF and cloudy. It’s supposed to rain but I have my doubts. It’s just lovely with the lower temperature and humidity. We are so ready for August to be over.

Just 2 1/2 months until our QM2 voyage. This week we will be trying on our pre-Covid formal wear, keeping what still fits and discarding those items that magically shrunk due to covid (yes, it is covid’s fault clothing shrinks). That will give up plenty of time to buy new necessary items.

Hope you all are doing well.

• Like 1