Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

20 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

That was beautiful @Kynance. I've printed our packing lists but I'm impressed that you're fully packed 10 days before leaving @ronpes !

Thank you but I must admit I am not normally that well organized ie we normally pack 2 - 3 days before. This time round, due to our sons visit etc, we had to prepare in advance. 

I used to work with a colleague who was always late for everything and I do mean everything, ie work every day, meetings etc etc.  He admitted to me once, that he and his wife were on one occasion still packing/cramming things into a suitcase for a foreign holiday as the taxi was sitting outside their house with the engine running and waiting to take them to the airport.  Oh dear.......

Still rainy, hot, and humid here in Big Swampy. Looking forward to cooler weather.

Definitely getting to crunch time or our voyage. 46 days to embarkation and I am having nightmares. Last night’s involved being late, missing paperwork, and being dropped off by the taxi at the wrong place. I could see the ship but couldn’t reach it in time to embark. 

I think the notice that we still need an observed COVID test has me worried. We were still going to get tested at a clinic in London anyway, so I’m not sure why I’m bothered.

2 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

I think the notice that we still need an observed COVID test has me worried. We were still going to get tested at a clinic in London anyway, so I’m not sure why I’m bothered.

Which clinic are you planning to use? I've also just learned that I'll need an observed test, and need to figure out somewhere to go. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tonopah said:

We also need an observed test before our cruise no more than 2 - days before embarkation.

We are booked in to get it done at Heathrow Airport before we fly to Seattle on Wednesday.

We have also learned that at the end of our first leg (7-days Alaska) we will need to get tested again in Vancouver before we sail on to Hawaii. Fortunately the ship will deal with that one but, it is a major concern if we fail any of those tests as that is effectively "game over". 

However, as the saying goes "plan for the worst, but hope for the best" and we have taken every precaution up until now be we also accept that nothing is 100% safe so it is what it is, and just take it as it comes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Which clinic are you planning to use? I've also just learned that I'll need an observed test, and need to figure out somewhere to go. 

We have appointments at Harley Street Clinic which is very convenient to our hotel. We reserved months ago and the prices seem to have gone up since then. Probably locals can give you other options.

@Tonopah Thanks for your post regarding the Harley Street Clinic. I looked it up and will work for us also. Are you actually going to the clinic for the test or is it online? I think you sail just before we do, so I’m assuming I can get an appointment now. Checking my thinking here, if we sail on Thursday, we could take the test on Tuesday before leaving London.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Tonopah Thanks for your post regarding the Harley Street Clinic. I looked it up and will work for us also. Are you actually going to the clinic for the test or is it online? I think you sail just before we do, so I’m assuming I can get an appointment now. Checking my thinking here, if we sail on Thursday, we could take the test on Tuesday before leaving London.

We are doing in-person appointments at the clinic. And yes, your timing is correct.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, techteach said:

@Tonopah Are you doing the fit to fly test?

We are getting Rapid Antigen test and should receive a “Fit to Fly” certificate.

You can call them to get more information but they are closed on Monday for the Day of Mourning.

Edited by Tonopah

On 9/10/2022 at 2:10 PM, Bigmike911 said:

I was in the first grade, and our teacher told us the words of the national anthem would be changed ...  The King would be changed to Queen.

Just back from our (non-Cunard cruise) so have missed most of the non-stop coverage and have yet to hear the 'new' National Anthem.

When I commented that reading "The King said ...", or "The King did ..." takes a bit of getting used to, my dad said, "not really", as this was his fourth king (George V, Edward VIII, George VI, Charles III). It sort of puts things into perspective.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Just back from our (non-Cunard cruise) so have missed most of the non-stop coverage and have yet to hear the 'new' National Anthem.

When I commented that reading "The King said ...", or "The King did ..." takes a bit of getting used to, my dad said, "not really", as this was his fourth king (George V, Edward VIII, George VI, Charles III). It sort of puts things into perspective.

Yes, isn't that sort of the point. Continuity. Let the whipsawing go on amongst the political class, but the Monarch, representing all of the people remains about it. And the people can have a greater loyalty to country as a result, unlike the ping ponging that goes on in the US. Brits are very lucky, indeed. 

• Like 1

How was your cruise @Colin_Cameron ? 

I've made a start on packing but have spent most of the day watching the processions and services for our late Queen's funeral.

I didn't really plan to but every time I tried to stop watching something else impressive or moving happened.

• Like 1

I have done the same, but sort of backwards.  I turned on the TV at 1000 and discovered it was ‘live’ on public TV, but it had started coverage at 0300!  So I watched the procession to Buckingham Palace, and on to Windsor, and the service there.  Now I am watching the rerun and it is in the middle of the funeral service in the Abbey.  It’s 1530 here now, and I am in danger of missing my nap.  At least with public broadcasting, there are no commercials.  EM

• Like 1

I watched on and off today, some live, more  in taped clips after the fact.  So very beautiful; somber, dignified and moving. And the military - just grand.  I hope the Queen would have been proud.  I'm glad to have been here for her reign.

• Like 1

So my question is…is there a shop anywhere in London or surrounding area that still has a black dress or hat available?  Or perhaps everyone who expects to be invited to such an event has a little black dress and hat in the back of the closet…. Wonder how many of the tail coats were rented…EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1

And we’re off.

Sitting in the BA lounge enjoying a cheeky pre-flight drinkypoo (as you do) before we set off on the long trip to Seattle. 

Well I figured it’s 5 o’clock somewhere !

To all those heading on their travels this month, Bon Voyage and safe travels. 

• Like 3

I watched all of yesterday’s coverage of the Queen’s state funeral, save for an hour of the build-up.  I found the events impressive and moving and a very fitting send off for Her Majesty.  Come 5pm, after a whole day on the sofa with eyes glued to the TV, I was actually quite mentally tired. Goodness knows how our new king is feeling - I know he is a fellow keen gardener so I hope he can take solace from the healing power of nature with a bit a downtime amongst his plants, if he is able to.  My other half and I went for an early autumn walk today - it was certainly what was needed after all the charged emotion of yesterday. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kynance said:

I watched all of yesterday’s coverage of the Queen’s state funeral, save for an hour of the build-up.  I found the events impressive and moving and a very fitting send off for Her Majesty.  Come 5pm, after a whole day on the sofa with eyes glued to the TV, I was actually quite mentally tired. Goodness knows how our new king is feeling - I know he is a fellow keen gardener so I hope he can take solace from the healing power of nature with a bit a downtime amongst his plants, if he is able to.  My other half and I went for an early autumn walk today - it was certainly what was needed after all the charged emotion of yesterday. 

I understand the King has gone to Balmoral for a bit to rest and reflect. Watching the members of the Royal Family giving it their all for a full ten+ days, while dealing with grief as well, makes me respect them more for their incredibly hard work. They did very well (to quote the owner of an imaginary  British Department Store, of yore.)

• Like 1