Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

On 8/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, alc13 said:

Hi everyone!

Things here are fine, except for too many mosquitoes.  Oh, and the delta variant is flourishing in Maine.  But it's outside weather, and not difficult to maintain distance from other people, so it's not as bad as the mosquitoes.  ( hope I don't end up regretting that bit of flippancy.)

I saw the following in a collection of good sentences from recent newspapers - it comes from the Guardian.  It made me laugh out loud, and I thought this group might enjoy it -

“Johnson’s hair, always ridiculous, now seems to have reached animal rescue stage. The PM resembles one of those Old English Sheepdogs that charities put on sad-music fundraising adverts, with a voice saying: ‘When Boris came to us, his coat was so matted he was effectively blind.’”

I'm sorry to read about Delta and the mosquitoes. We were fortunate that the our two weeks in Camden this July came after the brown tail moth menace had ended and before mosquitoes arrived. Last year we had hopes of a transatlantic crossing this July (no danger of moths or mosquitoes), but that's another story. At least the description of Boris Johnson raised a smile. 

I had a lovely weekend in the Cotswolds, we didn't get much sunshine to make the most of the lovely garden but at least we didn't have much rain ! I managed a trip to Tewksbury on the way home to have coffee with a friend I haven't seen since February last year.

I also booked a cruise, it's not until next July, I was very tempted by the January trips but there's just too much uncertainty at the moment.

It's pouring down here at the moment but we're heading to Pembrokeshire later today to see how our house is doing after 2 months of holiday rentals.

IMG_20210814_150102011_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210814_150511263_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I had a lovely weekend in the Cotswolds, we didn't get much sunshine to make the most of the lovely garden but at least we didn't have much rain ! I managed a trip to Tewksbury on the way home to have coffee with a friend I haven't seen since February last year.

I also booked a cruise, it's not until next July, I was very tempted by the January trips but there's just too much uncertainty at the moment.

It's pouring down here at the moment but we're heading to Pembrokeshire later today to see how our house is doing after 2 months of holiday rentals.

IMG_20210814_150102011_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210814_150511263_HDR.jpg

What a lovely area. It looks so peaceful and beautiful. Do you rent this place or do you own it? If this pandemic ever ends, we would probably enjoy time spent in this area of the UK.

43 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

That was a holiday cottage we rented in a village called Blockley but there are lots of lovely villages in the area.

Thank you, Hattie. Hopefully, we will be able to holiday in this area in the not too distant future.

Saturday dried up and we had a good trip West with an amazing lunch yesterday.

There are a couple of minor bits of damage but nothing too dreadful.

We stopped off at a local farm shop to get some food for a barbecue this afternoon.

IMG_20210822_144355383.thumb.jpg.36b453867ef821a8d0eb242dba5507da.jpg

IMG_20210823_090829864.jpg

IMG_20210823_090609571.jpg

• Like 3

We've had lovely weather as well although it's clouded over a bit now.

We were expecting a new Great Niece or Nephew on Friday but the hospital couldn't find our Niece's Covid test results so her caesarian has been postponed until Tuesday.

My Google photos account tells me that 13 years ago today we were in Lisbon on our very first cruise ! 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 8:08 AM, LewiLewi said:

What a lovely area. It looks so peaceful and beautiful. Do you rent this place or do you own it? If this pandemic ever ends, we would probably enjoy time spent in this area of the UK.

It has occurred to me to ask:  is there such a thing as a Cotswold - or are they always multiple, like trousers?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

😂 it's used in the singular as well, local government is the Cotswold District Council for example. Please don't expect me to explain how or why !

Seems to be a common quirk in both of the Atlantic branches of our (almost) common tongue:  the best response to such questions appears to be “don’t ask, don’t tell”.

We went out for lunch with friends on Bank Holiday Monday, it used to be a regular fixture but between jobs working Bank Holidays and lockdowns we've not been out for a few years. It wasn't nice enough to sit outside but we braved inside the restaurant. Food was lovely and it was good to catch up.

We have a new Great Nephew, Alfie Jake arrived yesterday.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

We went out for lunch with friends on Bank Holiday Monday, it used to be a regular fixture but between jobs working Bank Holidays and lockdowns we've not been out for a few years. It wasn't nice enough to sit outside but we braved inside the restaurant. Food was lovely and it was good to catch up.

We have a new Great Nephew, Alfie Jake arrived yesterday.

Congratulations -- greeting childrens' chlidren is perhaps the greatest compensation to come with aging.

Just had an email to say our Dec 10th cruise to Netherlands and Belgium on QM2 is cancelled. Apparently because they want to stay nearer home for the first cruises back! Not sure where they will find that is nearer!! 

We were expecting it, as the QM2 cruises had disappeared from the Cunard site, but I'm still heartbroken 😢

2 hours ago, Camgirl said:

Just had an email to say our Dec 10th cruise to Netherlands and Belgium on QM2 is cancelled. Apparently because they want to stay nearer home for the first cruises back! Not sure where they will find that is nearer!! 

We were expecting it, as the QM2 cruises had disappeared from the Cunard site, but I'm still heartbroken 😢

How disappointing, has it been cancelled because the following TA is leaving earlier ?

Maybe they might put a short break in slightly earlier. It would be nice if they had a few Southampton round trips before she heads off for Christmas. I probably won't be booking, next July is early enough for me !

Thanks for the congratulations, I'm still having difficulty coming to terms with being a Great Aunt and the oldest is 8 !

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

How disappointing, has it been cancelled because the following TA is leaving earlier ?

Maybe they might put a short break in slightly earlier. It would be nice if they had a few Southampton round trips before she heads off for Christmas. I probably won't be booking, next July is early enough for me !

Thanks for the congratulations, I'm still having difficulty coming to terms with being a Great Aunt and the oldest is 8 !

Looks like it. That part wasn't mentioned in the email they sent us. I only found out about the TA on cruise critic. Oh well, we still have a cruise booked for next Sept. I really hope that one will go!

You are making me feel old. Our oldest great niece is 21 😳, the youngest is 2. My husband is the youngest in a family of 5.

• Haha 1

Our area is recovering from the second “hundred year rain” in a two week period.   We are fortunate as we are on sloping high ground - which terrain does not support flash floods - but our local grocery, a number of shops, and the best fish market in the state got wiped out.

I am tiring of this - and would like to propose some global cooling, or whatever.

• Like 2