The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

24 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

HAL followed this route some years ago and Oceania's WC leaving this month is as well. The only downside from many of these routings is that they seem to be west to east, which puts pax on the harder side of the time changes (tough problem to have!). 🍺🥌

We went East to West, Miami to London. 

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Yep - we're bummed too. I had been dreaming of the "dual cape" route! We have limited interest in retracing a path we've already done. The wait continues ... 🍺🥌

Disappointed it’s on Sky also. Was hoping Neptune would be the new WC ship 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Our upcoming Mediterranean Odyssey in April has a Kitchen Table listed for Barcelona. 

Was on Sea TA  BCN/SJU, December 2022.  Did not see Kitchen table offered.

Edited by FetaCheese
Edit

6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks! Wonder what makes up the other $8000 of value?  Maybe it’s reflective of a soon to be announced price increase on daily service charge and other increased fees-works out to be close to $30pp/pd. 

I guess Mike and I are gonna have to decide if we are going to wait another year hoping for a different itinerary 🤔

Drinks package just went up to $25 pp and gratuities. 

17 hours ago, UWDawg said:

2024/25 Viking World Cruise posted. 

Also interesting that they have now posted the longer World Voyages (adds London to NYC) but the perks (including ShoreEx and shipboard credit amounts) are the same whether you take the shortest WC (121 days) or longest WV (180 days) trip. Hmmm ... 🍺🥌

20 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

A few more increases and the question will be moot! 🍺🥌

I was just informed that daily service charge has increased to $18pp/pd so that adds another $800 (I’ve been using rounded numbers throughout). So now we just need to figure out what else has increased to account for the other $6000🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I was just informed that daily service charge has increased to $18pp/pd so that adds another $800 (I’ve been using rounded numbers throughout). So now we just need to figure out what else has increased to account for the other $6000🤔

Clay, just finishing a two month road trip with our Viking Sea Christmas cruise in the middle.  I can tell you EVERYTHING is exorbitant.  Roadside hotels are up.  Eats and drinks are crazy.  I am surprised Viking is holding the line as much as they are.  I really feel for young couples with little children.  Don't know how they are doing it.  But yet, everywhere we have been is just overloaded with people.  Ever read The Population Bomb book?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Also interesting that they have now posted the longer World Voyages (adds London to NYC) but the perks (including ShoreEx and shipboard credit amounts) are the same whether you take the shortest WC (121 days) or longest WV (180 days) trip. Hmmm ... 🍺🥌

And they save (presumably a lot!) on biz airfare for US based guests.  If we didn’t already have the Iceland, Arctic, and Norway cruise booked for this July (with friends) this might have been enticing. 

21 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Clay, just finishing a two month road trip with our Viking Sea Christmas cruise in the middle.  I can tell you EVERYTHING is exorbitant.  Roadside hotels are up.  Eats and drinks are crazy.  I am surprised Viking is holding the line as much as they are.  I really feel for young couples with little children.  Don't know how they are doing it.  But yet, everywhere we have been is just overloaded with people.  Ever read The Population Bomb book?

No disagreement, no reason Viking shouldn’t be like the other corporations and raise prices. Am surprised that they did it without notification. NCL for example notifies you well in advance and lets you prepay the “old” rate.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We’ve already discussed inflation in the Silver Spirits Package and recommended gratuity/service fees.  Other benefits for which the cost/value likely increased  include:
    Airfare
    Visa service
    Luggage Forwarding service
    Excursion costs
    Internet costs [upgrade to SpaceX's Starlink?]
    Port taxes and fees
    Food costs and dining service 

I imagine that inflation in fuel costs account for a significant amount of the costs that Viking has absorbed or attributed to the increased value of “benefits.” 
Per the following web site, diesel fuel prices have increased 25% in in 2022 from $3.613/gal on 1/3/2022 to $4.537/gal on 12/26/22
https://www.ttnews.com/2022-doe-regional-diesel-fuel-prices 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CurlerRob said:

Interesting.  They hadn't posted the World Voyage I & II when I looked earlier today.  Definitely helps fill the bill of having a World Cruise that circumnavigates the world.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/world-grand/viking-world-voyage-i/index.html

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/world-grand/viking-world-voyage-ii/index.html

For a DV4, the cost for the 163 day World Voyage II is $22k more per person than the 121 day World Journey cruise or an average cost $524 per day for each of the additional 42 days.  I guess that isn't that much more than the $504 average per person per day for the World Journey cruise.  I'll have to contemplate the additional itinerary and whether deferring our next WC for a year... it is tempting.

7 minutes ago, UWDawg said:

For a DV4, the cost for the 163 day World Voyage II is $22k more per person than the 121 day World Journey cruise or an average cost $524 per day for each of the additional 42 days.  I guess that isn't that much more than the $504 average per person per day for the World Journey cruise.  I'll have to contemplate the additional itinerary and whether deferring our next WC for a year... it is tempting.

Not so much the per day cost, but the London to NY leg has many opportunities for expensive ShoreEx, and no additional credits from Viking. I found that odd, as it could really lever costs up. 🍺🥌

• Like 4

I also wonder if the legs after London will be opened for non World Cruisers and if so, will there be complaints like there were on the FLL to LAX segment-nothing special for World Cruisers. 

Edited by Clay Clayton

• 2 weeks later...

A question for Heidi13:  

Andy, we will be in Vancouver at the end of our Alaska cruise in June for a “big” anniversary.  We were in Vancouver five years ago for a semi-big anniversary and ate at a wonderful French restaurant.  I am wracking my brain, but not sure.  I think it was Crocodile. Does that sound right?  We 

want to go there again.  
Thanks so much, Christine .  

30 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

A question for Heidi13:  

Andy, we will be in Vancouver at the end of our Alaska cruise in June for a “big” anniversary.  We were in Vancouver five years ago for a semi-big anniversary and ate at a wonderful French restaurant.  I am wracking my brain, but not sure.  I think it was Crocodile. Does that sound right?  We 

want to go there again.  

Not Andy, but this list may jog your memory if Le Crocodile is not the correct one ... 🍺🥌

https://nomsmagazine.com/best-french-restaurant-vancouver/

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

A question for Heidi13:  

want to go there again.  

Hi Christine - We rarely head into the city and usually only during the day, so really only know of a couple of restaurants downtown. Unfortunately, none of them are French cuisine, so I can't assist. I tagged martincath who has a great knowledge of the city, hopefully he can assist.

In June we are hitching up the RV and heading East, or else I could play tourist and show you around.

@martincath

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Hi Christine - We rarely head into the city and usually only during the day, so really only know of a couple of restaurants downtown. Unfortunately, none of them are French cuisine, so I can't assist. I tagged martincath who has a great knowledge of the city, hopefully he can assist.

In June we are hitching up the RV and heading East, or else I could play tourist and show you around.

@martincath

Andy, you are more than kind!  I’m glad you are getting out again.  I believe you have a new RV this past year.  And hope you can cruise again.  We are loading up on cruises against the day we can’t any more. But I am hoping for a long time!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

A question for Heidi13:  

Andy, we will be in Vancouver at the end of our Alaska cruise in June for a “big” anniversary.  We were in Vancouver five years ago for a semi-big anniversary and ate at a wonderful French restaurant.  I am wracking my brain, but not sure.  I think it was Crocodile. Does that sound right?  We want to go there again.  

Always happy to get tagged in Andy @Heidi13

Yup, Le Crocodile is almost certainly the right one @SantaFe1 - I can't think of any other with a name similar enough that you'd get them confused! They survived the 'vid without significant changes - still lots of long-term staff providing old-school service, classic French dishes, definitely make a reso well in advance!

• Like 2

Well, I think it is certainly wonderful to have friends who have friends.  Thank you so much!  My husband also says that he remembers the restaurant had an “animal” name, so I guess this it is.  I will book 4-6 weeks out, especially since we will have to go on a Friday or Sat.  Looking forward to being in your beautiful city again!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1