Question re Requesting Partial Refund without Canceling a Celebrity Cruise

MarkWiltonM

We have booked a Jan. 2021 cruise on Celebrity Reflection, and I paid the full amount rather than just the $900 deposit.  The full amount was not due until October 2020.  I'm wondering if Celebrity will, at my request, refund everything to my credit card except the $900 deposit so I can get that cash back until I have to decide in October whether to sail or cancel. I assume the phone lines are very busy so I thought if someone has done something like this before I'd save myself and Celebrity a phone call.  I booked directly through Celebrity.  A second question would be if Celebrity were to file for bankruptcy (unlikely, I know) and I subsequently canceled, would I be able to get a refund on my credit card even if the cruise line was insolvent.  This is probably more of question regarding credit card policies in the event you have paid for a service you aren't receiving than a Celebrity question.

Edited by MarkWiltonM

1. I doubt they would do what you are asking. 2 Cancel and rebook is an option...prices and perks could certainly be different...3. I don’t understand paying in full that far out myself when it’s not required.  4. Many credit cards have a limit of a 90 day look back on disputes. 

Good luck with resolution. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

We have booked a Jan. 2021 cruise on Celebrity Reflection, and I paid the full amount rather than just the $900 deposit.  The full amount was not due until October 2020.  I'm wondering if Celebrity will, at my request, refund everything to my credit card except the $900 deposit so I can get that cash back until I have to decide in October whether to sail or cancel. I assume the phone lines are very busy so I thought if someone has done something like this before I'd save myself and Celebrity a phone call.  I booked directly through Celebrity.  A second question would be if Celebrity were to file for bankruptcy (unlikely, I know) and I subsequently canceled, would I be able to get a refund on my credit card even if the cruise line was insolvent.  This is probably more of question regarding credit card policies in the event you have paid for a service you aren't receiving than a Celebrity question.

MarkWiltonM,

I also made a full payment for an April 2021 cruise, which was subsequently cancelled due to a change in dates for the Revolution of the Eclipse. The full payment was only done because I had a nice unanticipated  cash rebate from something else,  and I just decided to use those funds to take care of the booking then rather than spend it on something else. Actually got more OBC than others did for rebooking of the April 2021cruise with a similar cruise in May 2021. 

Now I had exactly the same questions that you just raised. Please update this post if you find out the answer(s). 

I think. the question was already answered. Cancell and rebook works.  Getting your payment beyond your deposit refunded would confound X and you would be told no by everything I have ever read.

While not sure how X's systems are working under the current environment AND offers are substantially 'similar' one can cancel their booking and immediately rebook as the cabin is usually released right away.

This way you will get the fully paid booking back hopefully within a reasonable period of time and have the same cabin.

Good luck and bon voyage

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

While not sure how X's systems are working under the current environment AND offers are substantially 'similar' one can cancel their booking and immediately rebook as the cabin is usually released right away.

This way you will get the fully paid booking back hopefully within a reasonable period of time and have the same cabin.

Good luck and bon voyage

This is exactly what we did.  Lost the $200 NRD and got a voucher for $700. Still waiting for refunds to process. It will be 2 weeks on Monday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We booked our 2021 cruise in 2019 when it was first announced, so the price was around $700 less per person than today’s price, and it also included all 4 perks and an additional holiday weekend booking OBC. We also got a substantial price match OBC for not switching to a big box agency booking. When the original cruise was cancelled and we rebooked on our May 2021 cruise, we got price protection, all existing OBCs, an additional day cruising and another OBC, making around $1100 in OBC. Cancellation and rebooking is not an option because of these factors. 

Check with your travel insurance company.  I called mine and confirmed we would get a full refund if the cruise is cancelled due to insolvency or bankruptcy of the cruise line. That sealed the decision to keep our current fully paid booking. 

• Like 1

I have a happy update on this issue.  I called Celebrity to cancel my Jan. 2021 cruise because I had paid in full and my travel insurance for this particular cruise doesn't cover financial default of the cruise line.  The CFP I spoke to said, "What if I could get you a refund for everything you've paid except the $900 deposit?"  (Of course this is exactly what I had wanted but wasn't even going to ask because it seemed so unlikely.)  I said, "YES!"  He spoke with his "team" and confirmed they could process that refund.  He said it might come back to my card in "chunks" rather than one lump sum but I should see it in 14 to 30 days.  Unfortunately, he said he couldn't email me an invoice/updated booking confirmation until the refund is processed.  So I have nothing in writing about this call/arrangement, but he did say the call was recorded.  I was impressed with this guy's energy and competence (Daniel F. in the service department.) Now let's see if/when I actually get the refund.  But I have until Oct. 6 to call again and cancel if necessary prior to my final payment, and I think RCC/Celebrity has secured enough credit to last at least a year or more no matter how bad things get. At any rate, if this refund goes through my maximum loss is now $900 instead of almost $5,000.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MarkWiltonM said:

I have a happy update on this issue.  I called Celebrity to cancel my Jan. 2021 cruise because I had paid in full and my travel insurance for this particular cruise doesn't cover financial default of the cruise line.  The CFP I spoke to said, "What if I could get you a refund for everything you've paid except the $900 deposit?"  (Of course this is exactly what I had wanted but wasn't even going to ask because it seemed so unlikely.)  I said, "YES!"  He spoke with his "team" and confirmed they could process that refund.  He said it might come back to my card in "chunks" rather than one lump sum but I should see it in 14 to 30 days.  Unfortunately, he said he couldn't email me an invoice/updated booking confirmation until the refund is processed.  So I have nothing in writing about this call/arrangement, but he did say the call was recorded.  I was impressed with this guy's energy and competence (Daniel F. in the service department.) Now let's see if/when I actually get the refund.  But I have until Oct. 6 to call again and cancel if necessary prior to my final payment, and I think RCC/Celebrity has secured enough credit to last at least a year or more no matter how bad things get. At any rate, if this refund goes through my maximum loss is now $900 instead of almost $5,000.  

Nice - happy for you!