Convince me.

jonthomas

30 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Spoiler alert for our bet proposer: there are ten intercontinental flights leaving from SFO tomorrow.

does this mean I am wrong already?

In Australia: "A travel ban is in place for all Australians. You will not be able to depart Australia to travel overseas."

I see there is a Level 4 travel advisory from the USA already

Global Health Advisory
March 31, 2020

Level 4: Do Not Travel

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. 

At present the Department of State is making every effort to assist U.S. citizens overseas who wish to return to the United States. As the Covid-19 situation develops, our ability to provide such assistance working with commercial airlines or arranging for evacuation flights may become more limited or even unavailable. In recent weeks, commercial airlines have significantly reduced flight schedules and countries have closed airports and borders with little advance notice. If you wish to return to the United States, you should make arrangements to do so now and contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate  for assistance as needed. There is no guarantee that the Department of State will be able to continue to provide repatriation assistance and transportation options to the United States may be unavailable in the future. If you choose to remain overseas, you should be prepared to remain where you are for the foreseeable future.

U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.  Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice. Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips. If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.

My point really is that this will not be lifted this year... Happy to wager on that!!!

From the USA, can you buy a ticket and travel overseas if you want tomorrow? 

5 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

does this mean I am wrong already?

In Australia: "A travel ban is in place for all Australians. You will not be able to depart Australia to travel overseas."

I see there is a Level 4 travel advisory from the USA already

Global Health Advisory
March 31, 2020

Level 4: Do Not Travel

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. 

At present the Department of State is making every effort to assist U.S. citizens overseas who wish to return to the United States. As the Covid-19 situation develops, our ability to provide such assistance working with commercial airlines or arranging for evacuation flights may become more limited or even unavailable. In recent weeks, commercial airlines have significantly reduced flight schedules and countries have closed airports and borders with little advance notice. If you wish to return to the United States, you should make arrangements to do so now and contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate  for assistance as needed. There is no guarantee that the Department of State will be able to continue to provide repatriation assistance and transportation options to the United States may be unavailable in the future. If you choose to remain overseas, you should be prepared to remain where you are for the foreseeable future.

U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.  Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice. Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips. If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.

My point really is that this will not be lifted this year... Happy to wager on that!!!

From the USA, can you buy a ticket and travel overseas if you want tomorrow? 

Regardless of whether or not it's a good idea, the answer is YES.

Sometimes we trip over our hard fought independent spirit.

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Regardless of whether or not it's a good idea, the answer is YES.

Sometimes we trip over our hard fought independent spirit.

Ok then I apologise. My 100% guarantee is fake news. Maybe I will change it to:  I will guarantee you will not travel overseas for a cruise this year. Anyone want to take a wager?

Edited by drkitkat123
edit

I am inclined to agree with you.  And not only cruise traffic ... I don't see flying to Europe for a DIY trip either.  Not this year anyway.  And maybe not even later than that depending on what Covid-19 decides to do ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

Ok then I apologise. My 100% guarantee is fake news. Maybe I will change it to:  I will guarantee you will not travel overseas for a cruise this year. Anyone want to take a wager?

As aforementiined, I have a November cruises booked. So, check back with me in early June about the bet.

We also have a mid-January O cruise booked (NZ-Australia) that we intend(ed?) to sandwich between two land trips (one in each country).

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Spoiler alert for our bet proposer: there are ten intercontinental flights leaving from SFO tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Does not sound like a lot.  How many were there a year ago tomorrow?  And how many of those seats are filled?

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

We still have flights arriving from China & the UK  daily     & our Covid numbers still rising

Wonder if they are related??

Sure could be.   Are those people tested when they arrive at the airport?

2 minutes ago, RJB said:

Sure could be.   Are those people tested when they arrive at the airport?

If  they do not  have a plan in place to self isolate (home)  they have to  do so at a hotel

They may have a temp  check  but as we all know  this means nothing with this virus

Many are "citizens of convenience"    they have not lived in Canada  for many years

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2020 at 9:39 AM, jonthomas said:

We have a cruise booked with Oceania for Dec/Jan 2020 on the Riviera in the Carib.  From all the signs, I know it will not happen.

We will not give final dep, in fact will cancel 120 before sail date to avoid admin fee. I learned to do that from someone here and I am grateful. 

We have a $500 dep on it. Would probably make sense to cancel it now. Taking a real chance waiting, since if they go bankrupt , we will see none of it.

So I have not taken my own advice, to cancel now and hope to get it back, while there may still be some money in the coffers. 

There is nothing to gain by waiting.  Seems that I am just hanging on to it for emotional reasons not rational ones. Need someone to convince me to take my own advice and cancel now. 

We cancelled a cruise scheduled for November on Disney. We had paid the fare in full and were able to get a full refund so long as we cancelled prior to the deadlines indicated by Disney. We received the full refund relatively quickly.

I am glad that we cancelled as it is not just the cruise portion of the trip but the challenges with flying and the fact that the Canadian government has been extending the "ban" on nonessential travel outside of Canada. The situation has not improved substantially and we have all our money. Disappointed about cancelling but a vacation is not fun when there are many challenges.