Now for something completely different

56 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

They just scrubbed Santa Barbara, expecting 50 knot winds and 2 meter seas. I guess it may get a little exciting.

2 metre sea is just a ripple Lyle.🤣

On 4/10/2022 at 5:53 AM, Blackduck59 said:

For the Princess fans, Majestic Princess in the adjacent berth.20220409_124024.thumb.jpg.5eca75243d0ad93b004c4395a0d53517.jpg

That superstructure just to the right of her stern is USS Iowa.

I am hoping to become A Majestic Princess fan later in the year. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

What was the procedure for COVID testing pre-boarding?

We had our laboratory conducted negative text before we left home. We needed that for the flight into th US anyway. We were required to have a "Verifly" clearance for vaccination verification (don't get me started) which didn't seem to speed anything up. They made us fill out a paper form asking the same questions and dosing dates as well as checking our vaccination documents. That just added to the time to check in. After check in we went through security screening. The next stop was the spit in the tube station for the pre-boarding covid test. We are also tested every day on Viking.

• Like 2

We have a bit if a sea state

20220411_114033.thumb.jpg.5131b57c477f79d98336f69f64cc4b1d.jpg

As a result the tender port of Santa Barbara is scrubbed. We were in the theater at the bow and we could here the hull crashing the waves. Lynn decided that our cabin was a better place. It's almost lunch time, we'll see what the menu shows. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have a bit if a sea state

20220411_114033.thumb.jpg.5131b57c477f79d98336f69f64cc4b1d.jpg

As a result the tender port of Santa Barbara is scrubbed. We were in the theater at the bow and we could here the hull crashing the waves. Lynn decided that our cabin was a better place. It's almost lunch time, we'll see what the menu shows. 

I find it is better to avoid the soup on rough days, as you only get half a bowl.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I find it is better to avoid the soup on rough days, as you only get half a bowl.

We both had soup as a starter Mic. I had a lovely clamps chowder and Lynn really enjoyed a chilled pineapple and coconut milk soup. We also had chicken satay. I had a Reuben sandwich which was okay but not great. Lynn finished with a fruit plate. I had a peach tart.

• Like 3

The sea has calmed considerably. 

In answer to your question @NSWP Les we did the included in your fare excursion which was basically a bus tour. Unfortunately we got a terrible guide and it was not very enjoyable. 

I'm afraid Viking has NOT lived up to the hype. Service is slow and unattractive. Specific requests are ignored and we really feel poorly treated in general. We could have done Celebrity for half the price.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm afraid Viking has NOT lived up to the hype. Service is slow and unattractive. Specific requests are ignored and we really feel poorly treated in general. We could have done Celebrity for half the price.

That's a pity. ☹️

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

In answer to your question @NSWP Les we did the included in your fare excursion which was basically a bus tour. Unfortunately we got a terrible guide and it was not very enjoyable. 

Sad to hear hopefully just some rust after Covid and things will improve rapidly.

Wow..sorry you are less than thrilled. Hope things improve!!

Sounds like Viking has gone Walkabout in the Covid hiatus.  Makes me super pleased the two cruises we're doing this year are Oceania and Cunard.  Hang in there.

Linda

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sad to hear that Lyle.  I suppose most of the pax would have wanted to do the included shorex bus tour, which would have stretched resources.  Yes it is big money to go on that ship, you expect value for your $$$$.

Well we have a much better sea state, things are much more pleasant. This ship is not really stable in even a moderate sea.

We abandoned eating in the "Restaurant" which is what they call the main dining room. At these prices people expect a fine dining experience. Perfectly prepared meals, plated to impress. In the one lunch and 2 dinners we had the plating was akin to Chuck's diner. Although the food was okay it was just chucked on the plate. The last time we ate there I ordered the "Rib eye steak" I had visions of a nice thick cut with heavy sear marks for the grill and an appropriate array of sides. What I got was a half inch thick chunk of meat looking rather grey with a slight hint of grill marks (anything more and the steak would be overcooked it was so thin)

After informing our TA, our customer service person on board and writing a very pointed note to the head of guest relations we actually have the 2 "guaranteed" meals in the Specialty Restaurants. 

We will be happy to get home on Saturday, I can do a much more impressive plate at home.

Cheers everyone Lyle & Lynn 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well we have a much better sea state, things are much more pleasant. This ship is not really stable in even a moderate sea.

We abandoned eating in the "Restaurant" which is what they call the main dining room. At these prices people expect a fine dining experience. Perfectly prepared meals, plated to impress. In the one lunch and 2 dinners we had the plating was akin to Chuck's diner. Although the food was okay it was just chucked on the plate. The last time we ate there I ordered the "Rib eye steak" I had visions of a nice thick cut with heavy sear marks for the grill and an appropriate array of sides. What I got was a half inch thick chunk of meat looking rather grey with a slight hint of grill marks (anything more and the steak would be overcooked it was so thin)

After informing our TA, our customer service person on board and writing a very pointed note to the head of guest relations we actually have the 2 "guaranteed" meals in the Specialty Restaurants. 

We will be happy to get home on Saturday, I can do a much more impressive plate at home.

Cheers everyone Lyle & Lynn 

Oh dear, I like you would have expected better from Viking.

Don't stress and enjoy what you can, even if the only thing is getting home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

donegans.jpg.97f7ffb9cf101e4d1e5212129e6d91ea.jpgSad to hear Lyle, you will need a B52 breakfast when you get home. It would appear Viking Ocean has cut the food budget and perhaps has ex McDonalds burger flippers instead of chefs, these days. Had to post these, no frills proper food.

20121432_1498366156869106_6543050952178438338_o.thumb.jpg.bf457ca3db0ecff3cc55c435c3e3c669.jpg

Edited by NSWP