Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Australian Catholic University in Canberra. She graduated with her Bachelor in Social Work 27 yrs ago !!

One is never too old too learn.

Well done to your daughter, and no nEver too old to learn, before my health really went downhill I was contemplating adding a higher degree  just to fight monotony. Mrs G left school at 15 went to Uni at 33 got he4 PhD at 41

• Like 5

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Well done to your daughter, and no nEver too old to learn, before my health really went downhill I was contemplating adding a higher degree  just to fight monotony. Mrs G left school at 15 went to Uni at 33 got he4 PhD at 41

My story is almost identical...had to leave school at 15 due to family circumstances, then began my degree in my forties.  My children were at the same university (much to their horror, I suspect😉).I was, and still am, astonished to be awarded the uni's major award on graduation.  The kids said they thought I could only cook.  Never undestimate the power and allure of the urge to learn, at any age.  I must add that having a wonderfully supportive husband, and setting the dinner table in the morning, all helped.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

My story is almost identical...had to leave school at 15 due to family circumstances, then began my degree in my forties.  My children were at the same university (much to their horror, I suspect😉).I was, and still am, astonished to be awarded the uni's major award on graduation.  The kids said they thought I could only cook.  Never undestimate the power and allure of the urge to learn, at any age.  I must add that having a wonderfully supportive husband, and setting the dinner table in the morning, all helped.

Congratulations. Even though this was probably a few years ago, congratulations are still due.🙂

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

You may never be too old to learn.

But I can assure you, after decades of experience, you can be too old to teach.

53 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Docker, if you are a skilled teacher, as I suspect you are, your knowledge will be constantly imparted, in subtle and varied ways.  Don't underestimate yourself 👨‍🎓

18 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Some fall into that category no matter their age, as I am sure you know.

48 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Sure would, plus they don't  have anything I want to study.

Cruises can be a university of life experience:  the travel, the history, the languages, the onboard lectures (if the topic interests you).  The added advantage:  it's amazing what you learn over a few drinks at the bar with fellow cruisers😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Cruises can be a university of life experience:  the travel, the history, the languages, the onboard lectures (if the topic interests you).  The added advantage:  it's amazing what you learn over a few drinks at the bar with fellow cruisers😆

But will the give me a doctorate in cruising?

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

5 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Definitely.  conferred by Poseidon, assisted by King Neptune

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

You missed out learning how to make towel animals lol .

• Haha 1

How’s this for something completely different;

Qld State Govt is considering using their now “white elephant” quarantine camp -  Well Camp in Toowoomba - to quarantine returning cruise ship passengers who test positive. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-23/qld-coronavirus-covid19-wellcamp-quarantine-cruise-passengers/101011058

Or perhaps the media are just bored with covering the election 🙄

Edited by Porky55

15 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

How’s this for something completely different;

Qld State Govt is considering using their now “white elephant” quarantine camp -  Well Camp in Toowoomba - to quarantine returning cruise ship passengers who test positive.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-23/qld-coronavirus-covid19-wellcamp-quarantine-cruise-passengers/101011058

Or perhaps the media are just bored with covering the election 🙄

... and also crew who test positive.

• Like 1

Seriously? So if a passenger on a cruise ship tests positive on disembarkation they get slammed into quarantine but people who arrive by air, train or road are not tested so if they have Covid they can spread it happily. Talk about double standards!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

10 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Seriously? So if a passenger on a cruise ship tests positive on disembarkation they get slammed into quarantine but people who arrive by air, train or road are not tested so if they have Covid they can spread it happily. Talk about double standards!

I think the new report said they would go into quarantine if they didn't have a home (presumably within driving distance) to quarantine in. I can see if someone tested positive, they wouldn't be able to fly interstate. However, this wouldn't put many people into the large quarantine establishment.

On 4/20/2022 at 2:42 PM, Aus Traveller said:

My thoughts go out to you. 💘 I have had four melanomas. The first one more than 25 years ago was advanced (I am lucky on that one), but the others were picked up much earlier. During those years, I have had three-monthly checkups.

How do you go getting cover for melonama with the Credit Card travel insurance?

Just now, cruisine21 said:

How do you go getting cover for melonama with the Credit Card travel insurance?

My four melanomas were removed years ago. The first one was in 1995 and the last one in 2016. Lucky for me, they hadn't spread. I don't need travel insurance to cover me for anything related to the melanomas.

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You are so right, this is probably another case of our State Govt just “throwing this option out there” before giving it proper consideration. Not to mention the passengers and crew would have to pay for the pleasure of staying. Ridiculous!

Anastasia has been in hiding for days now and probably not even aware of this stupid idea.

This is just what the cruise restart doesn’t need!

Edited by Porky55

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

You are so right, this is probably another case of our State Govt just “throwing this option out there” before giving it proper consideration. Not to mention the passengers and crew would have to pay for the pleasure of staying. Ridiculous!

Anastasia has been in hiding for days now and probably not even aware of this stupid idea.

This is just what the cruise restart doesn’t need!

Apparently Annatasia has been on annual leave. Everyone is entitled to a holiday, but I find it curious that this time off has been organised at a time when it was obvious there would be a federal election campaign. Who is dodging who?

If someone comes off a cruiseship with COVID and they don't live locally, what are they to do? They can't get on a plane while they are sick and no hotel would accept them as guests. I feel that the availability of Wellcamp is reasonable, but it was probably announced simply as a justification for the millions of dollars the government is committed to spend.

22 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sure would, plus they don't  have anything I want to study.

There are a few things I’d like to study if the old head would cooperate. Astronomy would be cool. Navigation another. Somedays it feels like I do study medicine trying to find solutions. I just read that a costal location may help one condition, so need to live on a ship.

• Like 4