Now for something completely different

So sad to hear your cruising life is over,  along with overseas travel. I hope your conditions  do not restrict your domestic trips as well.

You are welcome to cruise vicariously through everyone's travels here on CC..

All the best.

• Like 3

I'm sure everyone on CC will agree that it's not the news we wanted to read.  What we do want to read is more of your tales of the wondrous cruising adventures you've enjoyed, and your sharing of the vast wealth of knowledge you've banked.    Your humour is contageous, Les, and I love the photos you post.  More, please.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

G'day again, results were not good, plus ultrasound showed up bad kidneys. So my GP recommends I don't cruise or travel overseas with all my conditions, he is reluctant to support me that way. So my cruise career hath endeth. 😬

I suppose I may as well as hang around on CC to get my cruise fix, but I have booked my next two cruises anyway...Thank you for your concern.

1009166819_th(4).jpg.c897211b6c3fdbd1f88c14141bbe7c75.jpgth.jpg.ec7de9a1297e93895033bdaf904f7884.jpg

I'm really sorry to hear that, Les. We'll try to keep you well supplied with cruise stories and photos that hopefully will trigger wonderful memories of your past cruises. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

G'day again, results were not good, plus ultrasound showed up bad kidneys. So my GP recommends I don't cruise or travel overseas with all my conditions, he is reluctant to support me that way. So my cruise career hath endeth. 😬

I suppose I may as well as hang around on CC to get my cruise fix, but I have booked my next two cruises anyway...Thank you for your concern.

1009166819_th(4).jpg.c897211b6c3fdbd1f88c14141bbe7c75.jpgth.jpg.ec7de9a1297e93895033bdaf904f7884.jpg

Sorry to hear that mate, take care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Sorry to hear that.  I'm assuming the melanoma is the problem.  (Melanoma sux).  If it helps, Australia has access to some great treatments (better than we have here).  I'm here if you need me, as is everyone else, I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@NSWPSorry to hear this distressing news that has put an end to your International Travel. I do hope you will be able to continue your road trips and find adventures in your home country. Remember lots of people like me are willing to spend thousands of dollars to get to Oz and you are already there.

Take good care Les, be well

Cheers, Lyle & Lynn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks my friends, some of you whom I have met personally. Road trips will continue !!  Next one to Griffith, NSW on 29 May, for 4 nights. Doing the wineries again !!🍷 And a mixed grill or two, lol.

The last few years on the big ships, me having a very low immune system, due in part to coeliac, I have caught the Noro  many times and ended up down at the ship's doc and been in cabin isolation, don't want to push my luck, Doc says if I catch the current lurgy I could exit this planet real quick.

Edited by NSWP

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thanks my friends, some of you whom I have met personally. Road trips will continue !!  Next one to Griffith, NSW on 29 May, for 4 nights. Doing the wineries again !!🍷 And a mixed grill or two, lol.

Enjoy. I'm sorry to hear your cruising days will be but a memory, but I think you were probably expecting this would be the case. Reading about cruising on the forum will probably trigger some good memories for you. 💘

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Sorry about your medical condition. I didn’t realise you’d booked two cruises. Where?

i was inspired by your short rural trips, which you’ll have to continue.  We took a leaf out of your book and took a scenic NSW route home from  Canberra, via Hall, Cowra, Parkes, Coonabarabran, Gunnedah, cTamworth and Armidale.(and places in between) to GC.

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Sorry about your medical condition. I didn’t realise you’d booked two cruises. Where?

i was inspired by your short rural trips, which you’ll have to continue.  We took a leaf out of your book and took a scenic NSW route home from  Canberra, via Hall, Cowra, Parkes, Coonabarabran, Gunnedah, cTamworth and Armidale.(and places in between) to GC.

As per the photos, next 2 cruises booked on Sydney Harbour Ferries and the Clyde River tour boat down here, lol and no tipping !! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

As per the photos, next 2 cruises booked on Sydney Harbour Ferries and the Clyde River tour boat down here, lol and no tipping !! 

Ha ha. I’ve been travelling and am now on holidays on the Sunshine Coast so haven’t kept up with the banter!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Ha ha. I’ve been travelling and am now on holidays on the Sunshine Coast so haven’t kept up with the banter!

Love Mooloolaba, been there many times, generally at the Land Mark on the corner.

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I love Mooloolaba also, esp the variety of seafood at The Spit, the SLSC and the loo with the view

Had some memorable seafood platters at the Moo Surf Club.

12 hours ago, NSWP said:

So sorry to hear your health is not good and your cruise career has endeth!!

You have done so many great cruises and trips in the past and I can only imagine to be told you cannot travel as you have must be sad☹️

Enjoy your road trips Les, we have the best country. As you know we travelled and worked around Oz a few years ago. We did a great 3 week loop last year up the coast to Iluka, then across to Lightening Ridge, those Hot Spas OMG so good, then down to Mudgee, what a great place, ending at Soldiers Point for a couple of nights. We did National Parks, free camped, stayed at the back of a pub, caravan parks, there is so many lovely towns that need our money and the people you meet!!

We are off again in August/September for a road trip to 1770/Agnes Waters.

Let me know if you pass by our way so we can catch up😘 

Edited by cheznandy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

He bought the Coolum Resort then abandoned it. I don't know if it has re-opened.

Drove through it about 6 or 7 years ago, golf course was open, but the buildings seemed abandoned, the dinosaurs etc were nearly covered over with the grass. It was a dump.

• Like 1

Just now, NSWP said:

Drove through it about 6 or 7 years ago, golf course was open, but the buildings seemed abandoned, the dinosaurs etc were nearly covered over with the grass. It was a dump.

The closure of Palmer Resort made life difficult for local businesses as they lost hundreds of potential customers every month.

A couple of weeks ago Clive launched his latest political campaign at the resort, but it appeared to be in a marquee. It was reported that during the rehearsal for the event, Clive jumped up onto the stage but slipped and hit his head. He was taken to hospital in an ambulance. At the real launch, he didn't try to do the leap.

• Haha 1

Early last year Clive announced he was going to spend something like $100m renovating the resort. One highlight was to be a full sized replica of the Trevi Fountain.

I can only guess that would be somewhere to moor his Titanic. 

Edited by Docker123
  • Haha 3

A newspaper report dated last Wednesday said that renovation work is underway and that they hoped to have part of the resort ready by the end of this year or early next year.

Mr Palmer bought the resort that was regarded as one of the best in Australia in 2011. In 2013 he installed the enormous dinosaur models for the resort didn't live up to its previous reputation. It was abandoned by around 2015.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

A newspaper report dated last Wednesday said that renovation work is underway and that they hoped to have part of the resort ready by the end of this year or early next year.

It will be interesting to see if that vision comes to fruition.  We've enjoyed many wonderful golf group stays there over the years, when it was indeed one of our country's best resorts.  The course was immaculate, and a real test of golfing prowess,  watched over by the spirit of the looming Mt. Coolum.  So many of our major tournaments were staged there.  Several dining choices, ranging from casual to a sophisticated, but comfortable signature restaurant. The accommodation was lovely:  understated (from the outside) cottages nestled in the beautiful area's natural environment, with pathways meandering through lush vegetation.  Then along came Clive. 😞

• Like 2

19 hours ago, cheznandy said:

We are off again in August/September for a road trip to 1770/Agnes Waters.

Let me know if you pass by our way so we can catch up😘 

We had delicious fish at a little shack near the boat hire in 1770, great walk around the headland too👍

4 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Early last year Clive announced he was going to spend something like $100m renovating the resort. One highlight was to be a full sized replica of the Trevi Fountain.

I can only guess that would be somewhere to moor his Titanic. 

I think he redirected that money to his campaign ads🤑

• Like 2