Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Yes, the Stage IV disease was in my abdomen.  No way of knowing if it came from the mole of my back or was independent of that.  I have met people who had melanoma appear as a lump in their breast or a tumour in their lung and never had a mole removed from the outside of their body.  It can appear anywhere not just on the outside.  That's why i prefer referring to the disease - melanoma - rather than the plural melanomas.  I had targeted gene therapy and immunotherapy and was a good candidate for both.  I was sent home from the hospital in an ambulance on a Friday to die.  My family were told i"d be dead by Monday.  Really long story.

I'm overawed to read your incredible story, and so happy to learn of your wonderful outcome.  I've read a lot about the new therapies, and delighted you were obviously a good match for them.  Human endeavour, particularly in this field of medical research, is so inspiring.  Congratulations on your return to good health.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Yes, the Stage IV disease was in my abdomen.  No way of knowing if it came from the mole of my back or was independent of that.  I have met people who had melanoma appear as a lump in their breast or a tumour in their lung and never had a mole removed from the outside of their body.  It can appear anywhere not just on the outside.  That's why i prefer referring to the disease - melanoma - rather than the plural melanomas.  I had targeted gene therapy and immunotherapy and was a good candidate for both.  I was sent home from the hospital in an ambulance on a Friday to die.  My family were told i"d be dead by Monday.  Really long story.

So dkgcluyd fou6rf fun

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I'm overawed to read your incredible story, and so happy to learn of your wonderful outcome.  I've read a lot about the new therapies, and delighted you were obviously a good match for them.  Human endeavour, particularly in this field of medical research, is so inspiring.  Congratulations on your return to good health.

Thank you.  I don't mean to bring everyone down though.  Very aware this is a cruising thread.  To bring it back to the insurance question - the insurance companies will definitely not cover me for melanoma.

22 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

So true.

Sorry had a mini stroke while typing, of course now I have no idea what I was even trying to say. Normally when it happens it doesn’t get posted and I just come back to a screen full of gibberish, this time I must have hit the submit button when I dropped the iPad.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Sorry had a mini stroke while typing, of course now I have no idea what I was even trying to say. Normally when it happens it doesn’t get posted and I just come back to a screen full of gibberish, this time I must have hit the submit button when I dropped the iPad.

I wondered if that happened, but agreed with what I thought you were going to say.

Hope you are feeling  better now anyway

36 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I wondered if that happened, but agreed with what I thought you were going to say.

Hope you are feeling  better now anyway

Yeah fine, just the rotten things are nearly constant, hey at least this time I didn’t fall, o4 smash the screen on my computer, or even need an ambulance, for me at the moment that is all victory

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Sorry about that. I hope you are OK now. 💘

34 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah fine, just the rotten things are nearly constant, hey at least this time I didn’t fall, o4 smash the screen on my computer, or even need an ambulance, for me at the moment that is all victory

Good to hear you're okay at the moment.  Hope it continues.

42 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Good to hear that one wasn't too bad. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

• Like 1

Thanks all. Compared to what happens to others mine are relatively mild, but whereas others tend to have one, and that’s it or months till the next, mine are daily, often multiple a day, so I do consider myself fortunate, though sometimes get upset that for many there are effective treatments and or surgery that seems to be a path not open to me because  of the nature of mine.

Have just booked 21 day tour of Spain, Portugal and Morocco this September. Will be going a couple of weeks early to spend some time with friends is south of France. Yeh, it's not a cruise, but until a suitable itinerary comes up up it'll do.

Planning Canada/Alaska for June next year.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Have just booked 21 day tour of Spain, Portugal and Morocco this September. Will be going a couple of weeks early to spend some time with friends is south of France. Yeh, it's not a cruise, but until a suitable itinerary comes up up it'll do.

Well done!  Should be great trips in autumn this year as well as in summer next year.

18 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Thanks all. Compared to what happens to others mine are relatively mild, but whereas others tend to have one, and that’s it or months till the next, mine are daily, often multiple a day, so I do consider myself fortunate, though sometimes get upset that for many there are effective treatments and or surgery that seems to be a path not open to me because  of the nature of mine.

I think you are wonderful with your continuing interest in cruising under the circumstances.

You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t get upset occasionally.  Does that gorgeous little dog still keep you company?

6 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Sounds wonderful.

58 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think you are wonderful with your continuing interest in cruising under the circumstances.

You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t get upset occasionally.  Does that gorgeous little dog still keep you company?

thank you, but somedays reading a few groups I belong to is all that keeps me even vaguely resembling sanity. After a life revolving around mental stimulation boredom is a real issue. We have booked for March 2024, but still have doubts it will happen, but at least it is something to look forward to in the meanwhile.

Ohhh yeah, not sure how I’d keep going without my Maxy, also gives me a good reason to say no to going to hospital. Plus the fact I have a bed that leaves the hospital beds for dead, and thanks to some great doctors pain medications that the hospitals don’t like dishing out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Excellent. Do let me know what's happening with the Canada/Alaska thing maybe we can sort out a pint.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

it's not cruising, but...

My daughter is heading to Boston next week for some indeterminate amount of time.

I may head over for her birthday in November. An academic friend has offered me accommodation.

Sounds great.

8 hours ago, Docker123 said:

it's not cruising, but...

My daughter is heading to Boston next week for some indeterminate amount of time.

I may head over for her birthday in November. An academic friend has offered me accommodation.

Sounds wonderful. Have you been to Boston before?  It is a beautiful city. I once visited Boston on a ship diverted from Bermuda because of a hurricane.  I phoned a friend who picked us up from the port for the day.  Nice surprise for both of us.

On 4/25/2022 at 10:20 AM, NSWP said:

I go back to the Docs on Friday re my latest excision, not looking forward to diagnosis. .  Last time they took a chunk out of my arm arm and had to take 2 lots, lucky it was OK. Danger is going into the Lymph nodes, right?  I don't know a lot about these things and I don't not really want to know. My son reckons I am a dead man walking, lol.  He is about to land at LAX on QF17 on Albatros business.

I was in Batehaven today, and thinking of you Les.  Not intruding, and you don't need to reply or share, but hope all went well.

Linda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I was in Batehaven today, and thinking of you Les.  Not intruding, and you don't need to reply or share, but hope all went well.

Linda

G'day again, results were not good, plus ultrasound showed up bad kidneys. So my GP recommends I don't cruise or travel overseas with all my conditions, he is reluctant to support me that way. So my cruise career hath endeth. 😬

I suppose I may as well as hang around on CC to get my cruise fix, but I have booked my next two cruises anyway...Thank you for your concern.

1009166819_th(4).jpg.c897211b6c3fdbd1f88c14141bbe7c75.jpgth.jpg.ec7de9a1297e93895033bdaf904f7884.jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

G'day again, results were not good, plus ultrasound showed up bad kidneys. So my GP recommends I don't cruise or travel overseas with all my conditions, he is reluctant to support me that way. So my cruise career hath endeth. 😬

I suppose I may as well as hang around on CC to get my cruise fix, but I have booked my next two cruises anyway...Thank you for your concern.

1009166819_th(4).jpg.c897211b6c3fdbd1f88c14141bbe7c75.jpgth.jpg.ec7de9a1297e93895033bdaf904f7884.jpg

Oh Uncle Les I am so sorry to hear that. What lousy news. Take care.

• Like 2