Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

The overnight helicopter excursion wasn't as popular as expected so there was a spare helicopter available. We took a quick scenic flight over Kakadu National Park in the morning, had a late light lunch onboard then went into the city centre to visit Crocosaurus Cove. We're heading to the Mindil Beach markets after that and will graze on offerings from the many delicious food stalls there for dinner.

kakadu-air-east-alligator-t-170x170.jpg.b0d8978a86e583f9b594edf665f785ac.jpg

gunlom-falls-credit-ian-oswald-jacobs-t-320x320.jpg.6ed122da43bf7ccbf7efa8318b1f75ef.jpg

waterfalls-twin-falls-gorge-credit-tao-hoogland-t-320x320.jpg.78d67e7b63a608a7878227f64ad81b7e.jpg

• Like 2

Itinerary Item 30 – Sea Days

Discussion Topic – What do you do on a sea day?

Sea days. Some people love them, some people hate them. Tell us about what you like to do on a sea day. Are good sea day activities one of the things you look for when you choose a cruise?

We’re taking our time transiting the Arafura Sea over the next two virtual days.  Our next itinerary highlight is scenic cruising the Torres Strait. We hope to start that about 9am on the third day.

If you’ve just joined us, please read the first post which contains the rules for this thread. Note this is a luxury all inclusive ship - all drinks, restaurants, internet, excursions, spa, beauty salon.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We love sea days!

We've done miles of walking in all these wonderful and scenic ports, and we've done a good bit of sitting and gazing.

But we're really looking forward to a couple of days at sea, and doing a lot of walking and/or gazing from Promenade Deck.

We will also spend some time on top deck, walking and gazing at the vastness of the sea and the sky.  We occasionally see another ship in the distance; DH is quite good at identifying both cruise ships and military ships.

Maybe not a popular opinion, but we're hoping for some stormy weather, in which case we'll be in the Sea&Sky Lounge, or in our forward cabin, watching the tempest through our wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling windows.

In between walking and gazing, we do plan to have a number of leisurely meals and snacks.  And most likely we will take part in the dance party on pool deck.

• Like 1

We had a lazy start to the day with room service coffee, which we sipped on our balcony enjoying the views.  We went to the main dining room for a late breakfast.  Freshly made omelettes, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, with buttery croissants on the side.  Rounded out with toast and more coffee.

We then spent some time on the aft deck, just watching the wake, and reading our books.  Later we went for a few laps of the promenade deck, at a leisurely pace, whilst watching for wildlife.  We finished our walk in time to head inside for the guest lecture.  It was very interesting, all about the aboriginal culture, traditional medicines and foods.

We skipped lunch as our breakfast had been quite late.  As this is an all exclusive cruise we booked some time in the spa.  I really enjoyed my hot stone massage, manicure and pedicure. I came out of the spa relaxed and feeling very pampered.  Such a treat.

We joined in the late afternoon trivia, didn’t win, but still managed a respectable score.  Afterwards we went to the forward lounge to listen to the pianist play, whilst we sat and watched the world go by.  We ate our evening meal in the main dining room, meeting up with friends we have made this cruise.  A lovely meal and lively conversation.  We left just in time to catch the comedian in the theatre.  He was hilarious, some good clean fun.

A great day at sea.

Edited by 4HeatonsGal
Autocorrect!

4HeatonsGal, I'm glad you mentioned the dinners, and the lectures.  We are really enjoying our nightly conversations with our tablemates, and in the forward lounge before dinner.  Sea days are the best, with no rushing, and everyone relaxed.  I emigrated to Australia in 1969, and returned to the US in 1982, so it has been wonderful getting a feel for how much has changed, and how much never changes (such as the Australian sense of humor!)

Likewise, we think the port lectures have been excellent.  Such a nice change from the fake "port info" talks that are only about where to buy diamonds/t-shirts/watches.  We've learned a lot.

So this feels almost like plagiarism, 4HeatonsGal and shipgeeks pretty much said it all.

Lynn has been to the spa several times and mentioned seeing 4HeatonsGal there today. I really enjoyed thhe couples massage I shared with Lynn earlier in the cruise, it was very relaxing but there is way too much estrogen in that part of the ship. Makes a man feel like a goat in the sheep barn.

Our breakfast today was also omelettes but we had cream cheese, crab, shrimp and salmon lox. The pastry chef is marvelous, croissants are crispy outside and buttery soft inside.

While Lynn was busy at the spa I spend some time soaking in the quiet pool. I found a good book that I have been enjoying on our veranda, nice breeze and we have a nice sunshade rigged.

Like shipgeeks we have been enjoying the ports presentations which have been so helpful for us to decide what we want to see in the ports. The last "port presentation" we went to was just a big pitch to identify the company owned stores selling overpriced jewelry of dubious quality or which tacky tourist shop to buy the cheesy made in china souvenirs. We usually try to buy small quality pieces made by local artists. Small and easy to pack but quality pieces that remind us of our trip.

We love sea days too. We try to fit in some walking on the Promenade deck before or after breakfast, depending in what time we wake up. We prefer to have breakfast in the MDR, we only go to the buffet if we've slept in. We always have a table for two for breakfast, I'm not civilised until I've finished a large pot of tea! Usually we go to morning trivia. We do reasonably well at trivia, usually only a couple of points behind the winners and on the odd occasion we've even won. We have coffee late morning and then sit and read somewhere until lunch in the MDR.

After lunch we change into swimsuits if it's a nice day and head to a quiet place near the pool to read and watch the ocean go by (on Princess you'll always find us in the Sanctuary). There is something particularly relaxing about watching the continual motion of the sea, they way the sun sparkles on it. Sometimes we've seen albatross or other sea birds swooping around the bow of the ship. Once or twice we've seen pods of dolphins.

If the weather is cooler we'll find a sheltered spot to read, perhaps on the promenade deck, or on our balcony if we have one. Often we'll go to afternoon trivia as well on these days.

Around 5pm we head back to the cabin to shower and change for dinner, then off to one of the bars for a pre-dinner cocktail. We enjoy sharing a table with others at dinner. If there is an interesting show then we'll go to that, otherwise we just have an after dinner drink at whichever bar has the best music.

On this sea day, we started with the ultimate breakfast on our balcony, we then stayed in the cabin for some R&R watching the sea go by and looking for wildlife, reading anew release movie on the big screen TV with the all round dolby stereo sound speakers, had a quiet lunch in the specialty restaurant, it was chinese cuisine from "Pick up sticks".

Back to the room for more R&R before our couples massage in our room, Svetlana was amazing and my wife enjoyed Stefan's work. Then off to pre-dinner drinks and a wonderful 6 course dinner with the Captain, she really is entertainment in herself.

Usually our sea days start with breakfast, either in the MDR or buffet. I prefer the MDR and Rob the buffet. Rob likes to get up early on sea days and go for a walk and get a coffee before coming back to the cabin. Depending on what activities are scheduled, we may walk along the promenade deck or find a spot to read and people watch after breakfast.  I do like a leisurely breakfast and not have to rush. If there is a port presentation on, I will be heading to it.  Later in the morning we will go to Crooners or somewhere similar to have a coffee and perhaps meet up with new friends. Lunch we eat wherever our fancy takes us. If there is a pub lunch that is where we will be going. We don't normally eat lunch in the MDR but do occasionally. We may grab something from the Grill or the buffet and eat near the pool or even have a room service sandwich and eat it on our balcony. In the afternoon, I am happy to read on our balcony or find a quiet place to sit and read. Rob may go for another walk or have a nap. Later in the afternoon we tend to head to Crooners for a pre-dinner drink and then into the MDR for dinner. We prefer a table for two at dinnertime. Depending on what shows are on, we will either head back to Crooners or to the theatre or lounge.

A Baileys on ice to finish the day and off to bed.

Itinerary Item 31 – Torres Strait Scenic Cruising.

Quite often the transit through Torres Strait happens at night but on one cruise I did a few years ago we went through during the daytime and it was stunning. So we’ve scheduled this as a daytime transit for this cruise. We expect to start the transit around 9am. We have an excellent straits pilot onboard and he will be giving a commentary throughout the day so make sure you are somewhere where you can hear him. The history of this region is fascinating.

During the transit we’ll be very close to shore on the starboard side at times, and will be threading our way between reefs. We’ll pass by Thursday Island (I’m hoping the Captain will pause here and do a 360° turn) and some of the most beautiful unspoilt white beaches you’ll ever see.

So that you don’t miss any of this beautiful scenery waiters will be circulating with finger food choices for lunch. If you choose to observe from your balcony then please let your butler know what time you would like lunch and a generous selection will be brought to your cabin.

Our next port of call is Port Douglas which is a tender port.

If you’ve just joined us, please read the first post which contains the rules for this thread. Note this is a luxury all inclusive ship - all drinks, restaurants, internet, excursions, spa, beauty salon.

• Like 2

Such amazing scenery, we must have spent the whole day on deck.  Really appreciated the attentiveness of the staff, ensuring our needs were met.  We were very impressed with lunch, such a wide variety of sandwiches and cakes. So glad we did the straits in the day time.

CB01DAE2-56EB-480D-A581-40FE4D3BE191.jpeg

• Like 2

A wonderful day cruising through the Torres Strait. What a great lunch we had on our balcony - the range of hot and cold finger food was was fantastic - yummy little sausage rolls, amazing sandwich triangles, tiny beef and chicken sliders, the spicy chicken bites, all the various tiny pastries - both savoury and sweet. To finish, the gorgeous little cakes and desserts, oh wow! We did have some fruit too. The scenery of the straits is fabulous, the white sandy beaches of Thursday Island are beautiful.

Thursday Island, the Queensland island the world's in love with ...

• Like 2

What a way to spend the day, relaxed on our loungers on our veranda. The sun shade makes it just perfect, not too hat and a nice breeze. Food wonderful food a small selection of sushi, excellent sandwiches. The fruit plate was lovely and the cheese board, outstanding. We enjoyed a nice bottle of Riesling nicely chilled.

I think Lynn enjoyed the wine a little too much, she is having a nap.

At some point we will want to get all formal, even though our anniversary isn't until July, we want to celebrate our 19th while on the cruise. Next year when we return down under we may renew our vows on the cruise.

Every day just keeps getting better than the last!  I just can't believe how beautiful the Torres Strait is.  And how fortunate we are to have seen it in daylight.  I wonder how many people do the overnight passage and just never know what they missed.

I've been thinking, too, about our sea day, and how many of us apparently love walking the Promenade Deck.  The day was perfect for it, but I never felt like I got stuck behind slower walkers, or that I was holding up anyone.  We must have been well spaced.  Serendipity!

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Every day just keeps getting better than the last!  I just can't believe how beautiful the Torres Strait is.  And how fortunate we are to have seen it in daylight.  I wonder how many people do the overnight passage and just never know what they missed.

I've been thinking, too, about our sea day, and how many of us apparently love walking the Promenade Deck.  The day was perfect for it, but I never felt like I got stuck behind slower walkers, or that I was holding up anyone.  We must have been well spaced.  Serendipity!

The travelators are so efficient.:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a really beautiful region.  The commentary from the Straits pilot is always interesting.  Such a shame we didn't spend an overnight at Thursday Island.  This region has such a lot to offer from a day trip to Friday Island or a trip to Punsand Bay and the top of mainland Australia. 

Itinerary Item 32 – Port Douglas.

Welcome to Port Douglas which is known as a base for visits to both the Great Barrier Reef, and Daintree National Park, home to biodiverse rainforest, plus the gorgeous Four Mile Beach. We’ll be here for three virtual days as there is a lot to see and do.

Outer Reef Excursion. Wavelength will be picking up directly from the ship for a full day of snorkelling the outer reef, during which you will visit three different reefs. It takes about 90 minutes to get to the outer reef and it can be a bit choppy but you might see some dolphins on the way. This is the cream of Great Barrier Reef day snorkelling/

Low Isles Excursion. If you want great snorkelling but don’t want to go out to the outer reef then join Sailaway for a day trip to the Low Isles, only half an hour from the marina. You will need to take the early tender to the marina where Sailaway will be waiting.

Daintree National Park Excursion. Tony’s Tropical Tours will take you on a day trip where you will discover the beauty and wilderness that makes the Daintree a World Heritage site. You will visit exclusive and private locations in the Daintree Rainforest and Cape Tribulation.

Flames of the Forest. Aboriginal Cultural Experience and Rainforest Dining. This very special evening includes a cultural background, story telling, didgeridoo playing, and a locally sourced six course tropical tasting menu with wines.

Other things to do in Port Douglas:

-          walk along Four Mile Beach with no buildings to be seen over or through the palm tree covered tree line.

-          Visit the iconic St Mary’s by the Sea Chapel, one of the most picturesque churches in the country.

-          Take a trip to the nearby Mossman Gorge.

-          See some of Australia’s famous wildlife at the Wildlife Habitat.

-          Take a ride on the Bally Hooley Steam Railway, a 2 ft narrow gauge heritage railway which operates from just outside the marina.

-          Enjoy the boutiques and cafes of Macrossan Street.

Don’t worry about trying to fit in the Kuranda Scenic Railway and Skyrail as you’ll be able to do this at our next port of call, Cairns.

• Like 1

We decided to spend the day in and around Port Douglas.  We took the Bally Hooley train for a wonderful way to see the town.

later in the day we went to the Flames of the forest.  We heard all about the local culture through the descriptions and stories of two local indigenous brothers.  The tales of their childhood adventures were most interesting.  We enjoyed the meal of traditional foods served in the setting of the rain forest as the darkness fell.

C895F20F-9CB8-4A3B-8E76-16091F995F60.jpeg

81D43DE2-B851-470F-9F4B-17CEDC823C28.jpeg

• Like 2