Will Radiance be ready for Dec 2020 cruise?

bluesman0711

17 hours ago, jmcathome said:

It willpobably be ready as Spain is starting back to work. Think redo was six weeks

Just curious where you read that? I always try and find something but have no idea where to look.

44 minutes ago, Tjcalley said:

Just curious where you read that? I always try and find something but have no idea where to look.

Actually I saw a news report on NBC news about Spanish workers returning to work. Did not specifically say shipyard workers. Figure if they were returning about two weeks ago they would be ready by Dec.

12 minutes ago, jmcathome said:

Actually I saw a news report on NBC news about Spanish workers returning to work. Did not specifically say shipyard workers. Figure if they were returning about two weeks ago they would be ready by Dec.

Ah ok! Thank you!

2 hours ago, jmcathome said:

Ugh 😞 Bad news for us. We are booked for 11/21 and 11/29 for our 50th and 51st cruises. Fingers crossed.  🙂 

We're booked on the Radiance in March 2021 for 3 B2B2B weeks, and not thinking these will happen! 

Can't say when the ship will be ready, but I'm feeling like it won't matter,

cause this virus will likely come back worse, much deadlier this fall-winter,

which is exactly what the 1918 virus did!

I guess another worry is whether this cruise will actually stop at the ports on the itinerary we booked it for. We have never visited Bonaire and it was the main reason we booked this cruise. The islands themselves will determine when they will be open to cruise ships and it may alter the itinerary.

28 minutes ago, bluesman0711 said:

I guess another worry is whether this cruise will actually stop at the ports on the itinerary we booked it for. We have never visited Bonaire and it was the main reason we booked this cruise. The islands themselves will determine when they will be open to cruise ships and it may alter the itinerary.

We were wondering about this as well. We booked this cruise for Bonaire and Aruba. I wouldn’t mind an 8 day cruise to no where or a private island though! I’ve been working through this quarantine (not from home ) with a 4 year old in tow !

On 4/24/2020 at 1:57 PM, Tjcalley said:

Someone on another social media site said they called Carnival today and they confirmed that the refurbishment was completed as of yesterday. Not sure if it is true but I hope so!

From other sources I've that isn't accurate.

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

From other sources I've that isn't accurate.

From where? Not arguing , just genuinely curious. 

That person on social media called and the lady read her a memo released by Carnival that day. I ended up calling and the rep said it was scheduled to be completed in two days. I was under the impression that work hadn’t even started yet and that the shipyard was closed because of Covid. 

14 minutes ago, Tjcalley said:

From where? Not arguing , just genuinely curious. 

That person on social media called and the lady read her a memo released by Carnival that day. I ended up calling and the rep said it was scheduled to be completed in two days. I was under the impression that work hadn’t even started yet and that the shipyard was closed because of Covid. 

https://www.diariodecadiz.es/noticias-provincia-cadiz/coronavirus-cadiz-Navantia-seguira-actividad-abril_0_1453655106.html

15 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Your posts are of no help to those of us who don't know Spanish. Can you tell us what they said?

Edited by tandemcruzr

18 minutes ago, tandemcruzr said:

Your posts are of no help to those of us who don't know Spanish. Can you tell us what they said?

I was going to say 😂😂.... I can pick up some of it but not an article 

Carnival evacuates most of the crew of the cruise ship moored in Navantia Puerto Real

• The owner of the 'Carnival Victory' transfers half a thousand people to Malaga airport to be repatriated to their countries of origin

Temperature control to one of the bus drivers hired by Carnival upon arrival in Navantia Puerto RealTemperature control to one of the bus drivers hired by Carnival upon arrival in Navantia Puerto Real

Temperature control to one of the bus drivers hired by Carnival upon arrival at Navantia Puerto Real / FITO CARRETO

ALEJANDRO MARTIN April 02, 2020 - 13:58

The owner of the 'Carnival Victory' has started this Thursday the evacuation of most of the personnel who remain inside this cruise ship, which has been moored for three weeks at the Navantia Puerto Real dock. The ship arrived at the shipyard to be remodeled but the work was suspended due to the declaration of the state of alarm for the coronavirus epidemic .

The Carnival shipping company has organized an operation that has involved the hiring of around thirty buses to transfer its personnel to Malaga airport , from where they will be repatriated to their countries of origin. The minimum personnel for its maintenance will be on board the cruise ship and the ship will continue to be moored at the dock of the shipyard. The buses have arrived this morning at the Puerto Rican factory to begin the transfer of the operators.

ADVERTISING

The ship arrived on March 12 at the Navantia shipyard, in the midst of the coronavirus epidemic, from the port of Miami , with more than 3,000 people on board more than fifty nationalities, including crew and operators who were going to carry out the reform. Initially, Foreign Health prevented the disembarkation of the occupants by detecting a possible case of coronavirus, which was later ruled out by the tests carried out .

The 'Carnival Victory' passes under the bridge of the 1812 Constitution.The 'Carnival Victory' passes under the bridge of the 1812 Constitution.

The 'Carnival Victory' passes under the bridge of the Constitution of 1812. / FERNANDO ARAGÓN

The CCOO union has expressed its appreciation for "the exemplary attitude and cooperation" that all the crew of the cruise ship have maintained at all times to comply with the security and prevention measures adopted against the coronavirus epidemic. It should be remembered that this union, together with the Navantia Puerto Real works council, protested before Foreign Health about the arrival of this cruise ship in the midst of an epidemic .

With the suspension of Navantia's activity, the reform of the ship was postponed and it remained moored at the dock of the shipyard , as it did not enter the dry dock. The shipowner was gradually evacuating his personnel, although the closure of airports and roads made it more and more difficult for them to leave. With the operation started this Thursday, his departure will be almost completed. 

A coronavirus flotel

The reform of this cruise also implied the displacement of two ferries with thousands of operators on board to work on the construction site. One of them is the 'Eleftherios Venizelos', which left the port of Çesme (Turkey) on March 8 and arrived at the Bay of Cádiz on the 14th,  but the Spanish authorities did not allow their docking .

The ship then headed for Malta, where it only received fuel, and Turkey,  where the authorities only allowed Turkish citizens to disembark . After this, the ship arrived on March 21 at the port of Piraeus where, anchored outside the port, it waited for the 14 days of quarantine necessary to enter Greece.

However, around twenty cases of coronavirus have been declared on board since  the first positive was detected last Saturday , that of a 72-year-old Swiss sailor. This and another 34-year-old Indonesian man have been transferred to a university hospital in the Greek capital. The National Public Health Organization (EODY)  has tested the 383 passengers on the ship  - who have been separated from each other by levels of vulnerability - and is waiting to confirm if there are more infected on board.