Voyage of the Vikings - Any Other Lines Do Something Similar?

Roz

So I'm dreaming about future travel plans when we can get out there again, and my retirement which I hope will take place two and a half years from now.  HAL's Voyage of the Vikings has always intrigued me, but I'm concerned about a lack of things to do on such a long itinerary, other than the interesting port stops.  The upcoming VOV in 2021 is on the Zaandam, a ship without the extra specialty restaurants and no Music Walk.  I understand the need to use a smaller ship, but my biggest concern is the lack of daytime activities on my last HAL cruise.  I was bored to death.  

Do any cruise lines besides HAL do this itinerary or something similar?

Not quite Voyage of the Vikings, but several years ago we did a Princess cruise that left from NYC.  It had port stops in Halifax, St. John's Labrador, three in Greenland, four in Iceland, the Shetland Islands, Edinburgh, and ending in Dover, England.

It was a small ship, one of the Renaissance R class ships, and had entertainment similar to what the smaller HAL ships have.  

We totally enjoyed this cruise.  The ports were interesting--especially in Greenland, Iceland, and the Shetlands--and for the second time we saw the military tattoo in Edinburgh.

Charles

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I have seen similar cruises on other lines, you just need to check.

How do I check?  What cruise lines?  Any general direction you can point me?

It has increased in popularity. Do a cruise critic search using Reykjavik as a port.  Most other lines have a one go two week round trip transit.   What VOV does is the US to Europe and does it well.  Long voyages do require a bit of “down time”.  Some relish that down time.  I never lay on a beach but I can spend days on the promenade watching icebergs 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It has increased in popularity. Do a cruise critic search using Reykjavik as a port.  Most other lines have a one go two week round trip transit.   What VOV does is the US to Europe and does it well.  Long voyages do require a bit of “down time”.  Some relish that down time.  I never lay on a beach but I can spend days on the promenade watching icebergs 

You're right about its popularity.  It is the most expensive per day cruise HAL offers, even more than the world cruises (based on advertised lowest cost cabin before port charges and taxes).

Does it need to be R/T from the US?  If not, there are a number of options. 

Be aware that Greenland will soon not be included in such cruises (after the 2021 season, I think?)

I was booked on a lovely HAL T/A on the Zuiderdam for this year that started in Copenhagen and had several stops in Iceland and Greenland -- sadly now canceled. Next year there is a similar itinerary; but I like it less than the 2020 one.   It is fewer days and less $$ than the VOV cruises but to me has a lot of value (and not so many sea days in a row possibly...).  

I have reserved a spot on an Oceania 20-day itinerary that is similar to the HAL one I mention above. It is on Sirena in 2021, departs end of August from London to Stockholm -- perhaps you can look it up. This one doesn't include any of the Canadian or US ports.

Princess is using Sea Princess (their small ship) for a nice itinerary in July 2021 that is returning to the US from London; 22 days. It's one they've done almost annually and I always thought I'd do it one of these days, but unfortunately the 2021 dates don't work for me (I have a fixed meeting in late July/early August I'm required to attend.)

Edited to add:  MSC offers one this year (not canceled yet!) that, if they offer it in 2021 with no changes I would strongly consider. It's on Poesia, departing Warnemunde (R/T) for 21 days. IF I could force myself to cruise MSC, lol....  I do think the itinerary is as good as any I've seen.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

The season is short on this route.  You need the longer daylight hours to make up for being so far north and to help make the cloudy and cool days tolerable.  I have done the V of the V in July as well as the Viking Passage (Copenhagen to Boston) also in July.  Both cruises were travel highlights.

• Like 1

I believe (have not looked recently, but it was this a year or two ago) that the Sea Princess itinerary previously mentioned is part of their world cruise that begins in the spring (autumn in Australia).

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Be aware that Greenland will soon not be included in such cruises (after the 2021 season, I think?)

Having experienced Greenland ports and scenic cruising on VOV as well as a repositioning on Eurodam from Europe to New York, lacking that area would make such a voyage less attractive to me.  My trips through Prinz Christian Sund were memorable.  Speaking with a crew member who had sailed on voyages in Antarctica, how did such scenery compare with what he saw there.  His response was:  it's similar.  Having now sailed on the Zaandam in Antarctica, I agree.  It is similar, but different.  The Greenland ports were special because they were not touristy ports!

• Like 1