FCC’s can now cover deposit amount

1 minute ago, shutterbug63 said:

I have a cruise booked in May of next year. I already put down a deposit.   Does this mean that when I get my FCC I can ask to have the entire amount applied to my new cruise and receive a refund for the deposit I paid on my personal credit card?  Or - is the $500 non-refundable since we're in a full suite?

There was language yesterday about deposits in that case being able to used for taxes, fees, and/or pre-paid gratuities rather than receiving a refund, but that language has now disappeared (it was under the FAQ's for cancelled sailings). I know it was there because I printed it out and I'm looking right at it.

No you can not replace new funds already put down.

13 minutes ago, shutterbug63 said:

I have a cruise booked in May of next year. I already put down a deposit.   Does this mean that when I get my FCC I can ask to have the entire amount applied to my new cruise and receive a refund for the deposit I paid on my personal credit card?  Or - is the $500 non-refundable since we're in a full suite?

There was language yesterday about deposits in that case being able to used for taxes, fees, and/or pre-paid gratuities rather than receiving a refund, but that language has now disappeared (it was under the FAQ's for cancelled sailings). I know it was there because I printed it out and I'm looking right at it.

Unfortunately not.  Once a deposit is made it will not be refunded regardless of the FCC amount that is available. 

you can have the deposit applied first to taxes and fees as well as prepaid gratuities which have to be paid in cash thereby freeing up more cruise fare for the fcc to be applied to. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

12 minutes ago, little britain said:

Is this a global policy do you know - can we take advantage in UK?! Thanks.

I'm in New Zealand and was able to do it, so you should be ok. Give them a call, just be prepared for a bit of a rigmarole.

Edited by tepukecruisers
  • Thanks 1

I used my FCC and booked for May 2021, I had enough in credit to pay for the entire cruise but had to still pay $500 cash deposit, then I was able to use what was remaining and pay gratuities, I still have over $300 remaining in credit but was told I will not receive that until completion of cruise!

22 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Unfortunately not.  Once a deposit is made it will not be refunded regardless of the FCC amount that is available. 

you can have the deposit applied first to taxes and fees as well as prepaid gratuities which have to be paid in cash thereby freeing up more cruise fare for the fcc to be applied to. 

Thank you! This is what I was looking to do.  If I do that, I'll potentially use up all the of the money I've already put down plus the FCC. I really don't want any leftover FCC.  My son and I usually travel together - he's off to college this year and I think next year may be the end of our cruising days together at least for a few years.

• Like 1

Just an update on this for those who are interested...and a bit of a vent after spending countless hours on hold this week.

Despite initially being told that my FCC had been applied to my cruise and deposit, it took speaking to 4 different sales reps over 3 phone calls, before finally a supervisor fixed it. In fact they refused to honor the FCC at all on the third call and it took sending them a copy of the FCC FAQs at which point they finally said they would apply it to the deposit.

Of the 4 salespeople I have spoken to this week only 1 knew about it, 1 was adamant it was not possible and the other 2 had to speak to a supervisor to find out, 1 supervisor said yes, 1 said no.

Maybe this is an issue just through the Aus/NZ call center, but as customers we have rights, so don't let them fob you off with things like :

1. We can't apply FCC, don't have access.

2. We can't send emails directly.

3. Or the old chestnut....we will call you back.

4. It takes several days for this to be done.

5. This only applies to the US market

None of these things are actually true, and ultimately it was sorted in a few minutes by a supervisor. I would think RCI would be bending over backwards to get people back on their ships!

45 minutes ago, tepukecruisers said:

Just an update on this for those who are interested...and a bit of a vent after spending countless hours on hold this week.

Despite initially being told that my FCC had been applied to my cruise and deposit, it took speaking to 4 different sales reps over 3 phone calls, before finally a supervisor fixed it. In fact they refused to honor the FCC at all on the third call and it took sending them a copy of the FCC FAQs at which point they finally said they would apply it to the deposit.

Of the 4 salespeople I have spoken to this week only 1 knew about it, 1 was adamant it was not possible and the other 2 had to speak to a supervisor to find out, 1 supervisor said yes, 1 said no.

Maybe this is an issue just through the Aus/NZ call center, but as customers we have rights, so don't let them fob you off with things like :

1. We can't apply FCC, don't have access.

2. We can't send emails directly.

3. Or the old chestnut....we will call you back.

4. It takes several days for this to be done.

5. This only applies to the US market

None of these things are actually true, and ultimately it was sorted in a few minutes by a supervisor. I would think RCI would be bending over backwards to get people back on their ships!

I’ve experienced many o& the same things here in North America with untrained reps.

We booked a cruise for next year with our travel agent today.  The cruise was part of a group booking, so the agent spoke to the group rep about using the FCC for the deposit (the agent had never heard of it).  The rep came back and said that it couldn't be used.  I sent the agent a copy of Ken's post, and the head of the agency spoke with the group rep.  When he quoted the FAQ item, she was able to look it up and agreed that it was applicable.  The group rep, the agency head, and the travel agent were all unaware of the change in policy (why am I not surprised?).  The group rep did emphasize that it sometimes took several days to apply the FCC, and it was possible that Royal could cancel the booking for lack of deposit.  My agent is going to track the booking and make sure that the deadline for deposit doesn't pass (it is 5 days from now).  We got a very good deal on the cruise with the current perks, and I'm glad I insisted on them using the FCC.  Because of our age and medical issues, we don't want any cash involved with this cruise until it comes time for final booking, when we can take a good look at the situation and decide whether to go.

Thank you, Ken, for keeping us up to date.

Pat

Edited by vistapat
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, vistapat said:

We booked a cruise for next year with our travel agent today.  The cruise was part of a group booking, so the agent spoke to the group rep about using the FCC for the deposit (the agent had never heard of it).  The rep came back and said that it couldn't be used.  I sent the agent a copy of Ken's post, and the head of the agency spoke with the group rep.  When he quoted the FAQ item, she was able to look it up and agreed that it was applicable.  The group rep, the agency head, and the travel agent were all unaware of the change in policy (why am I not surprised?).  The group rep did emphasize that it sometimes took several days to apply the FCC, and it was possible that Royal could cancel the booking for lack of deposit.  My agent is going to track the booking and make sure that the deadline for deposit doesn't pass (it is 5 days from now).  We got a very good deal on the cruise with the current perks, and I'm glad I insisted on them using the FCC.  Because of our age and medical issues, we don't want any cash involved with this cruise until it comes time for final booking, when we can take a good look at the situation and decide whether to go.

Thank you, Ken, for keeping us up to date.

Pat

One thing with that.  Not sire if you saw the post that outlined the figpfferent procedures the reps need to follow for a regular booking and a group booking so they don’t auto cancel but make sure they do the following to your booking.

For FIT (regular) bookings the booking just needs to be placed BK status.

For group bookings they need to be placed in BK status and also have the option date adjusted to the same date as the final payment date.  If they do not do these two things the booking will auto cancel.  They can restore it but it will be several hours of wasted time dealing with it. 

they also told me several days to apply the FCC but I received all mine within 24 hours. 

if they are group bookings the deposit shouldn’t be due for 30 days

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Thanks again, Ken.  I forwarded the above information to the agency head in case he wasn't familiar with it.  It's an agency that books group cruises for a special interest segment of the market, and all this may be outside his comfort zone.  However, he did get the cruise booked, and let me know today that the FCCs had been applied, like yours, within 24 hours.  So, it's all good.  Again, thanks for helping us all keep as up-to-date as is reasonably possible these days.

Pat

• Like 1

Had found a cruise on the Odyssey to use my FCC on after Royal cancelled the Rhapsody.  My TA was told that if I use the FCC then would have to pay amount owed today after the FCC was applied, which would be $400. 

After reading this forum, you can use your FCC and pay the $400 by final payment?

2 hours ago, mj said:

After reading this forum, you can use your FCC and pay the $400 by final payment?

If the FCC doesn't cover the whole cruise fare, you have to pay the deposit. You should wait to apply the FCC to any sailing till around final payment time (to allow for price drops).

2 hours ago, mj said:

Had found a cruise on the Odyssey to use my FCC on after Royal cancelled the Rhapsody.  My TA was told that if I use the FCC then would have to pay amount owed today after the FCC was applied, which would be $400. 

This changed last week.  As long as the FCC covers the entire deposit amount nothing further is due until final payment.  Ive personally done several, tell your TA to read the new FAQ's

19 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If the FCC doesn't cover the whole cruise fare, you have to pay the deposit. You should wait to apply the FCC to any sailing till around final payment time (to allow for price drops).

This changed last week which is why I started this thread.  As long as the FCC covers the deposit nothing further is due until final payment

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

As long as the FCC covers the deposit nothing further is due until final payment

Right, but depending on the amount of the FCC compared to full payment, you may still not want to apply it till final payment due to potential price drops?

Edited by Biker19

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Right, but depending on the amount of the FCC compared to full payment, you may still not want to apply it till final payment due to potential price drops?

Then it comes down to a choice between giving more money to Royal or being able to apply your FCC to pay the deposit.  I was just pointing out that your FCC no longer had to cover the entire cruise fare.

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Then it comes down to a choice between giving more money to Royal or being able to apply your FCC to pay the deposit. 

What happens to excess FCC anyway during a price drop? Someone puts down an $1800 FCC on a full payment fare of $2000. Then, the price drops to $1700. Will they ever see that $100 again?

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

What happens to excess FCC anyway during a price drop? Someone puts down an $1800 FCC on a full payment fare of $2000. Then, the price drops to $1700. Will they ever see that $100 again?

You have to have the FCC removed,then reapplied.  Excess will be reissued 30 days after the cruise ends.

I'm not sure about after final payment.  Without FCC then you would get OBC for the price, perhaps the same thing would apply.  Be interesting to see once sailings resume and this situation comes up

Edited by Ourusualbeach

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You have to have the FCC removed,then reapplied.  Excess will be reissued 30 days after the cruise ends.

I'm not sure about after final payment.  Without FCC then you would get OBC for the price, perhaps the same thing would apply.  Be interesting to see once sailings resume and this situation comes up

That's the part I am curious about, even without a FCC what would happen to that price drop OBC if you should decide to cancel under CWC, hopefully you would also get that back in a FCC or be able to transfer it to a different booking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This changed last week.  As long as the FCC covers the entire deposit amount nothing further is due until final payment.  Ive personally done several, tell your TA to read the new FAQ's

Thanks.  I got a copy of the new guidelines and will pass it on. Cruise is not until 2022 so would not have to make final payment until fall 2021.  Encountered a similar problem with Lift and Shift and took a bit to find someone who understood how it is supposed to work.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 5:41 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Just noticed that Royal added this to the FAQ’s.  Great move just wish that they had done this sooner.

27. Can Future Cruise Credits be used to pay for the deposit owed on my client’s reservation?

NEW! Yes - as long as the value of the Future Cruise Credit covers the full deposit amount, no additional funds will be oweduntilFinalPayment,atwhichtimeanycruisefarebalanceandtaxes/feeswillberequired. IfthevalueoftheFCC does not cover the full deposit amount, additional funds will be required to meet the total deposit needs and, thereafter, the remaining balance due at Final Payment.

I must be reading this post wrong.. I called RCI last night to book a new cruise for next year. My deposit  was $900. so I  said I understand I can use my FCC from a canceled cruise where my NFD was $900.00 . The agent said I am sorry you cannot use a FCC for deposit on a new cruise.  So did I get this wrong. I was disappointed. I am not going to put another $900.out on another cruise at this point .

Thoughts please.. 

5 minutes ago, New Mexico 8 said:

I must be reading this post wrong.. I called RCI last night to book a new cruise for next year. My deposit  was $900. so I  said I understand I can use my FCC from a canceled cruise where my NFD was $900.00 . The agent said I am sorry you cannot use a FCC for deposit on a new cruise.  So did I get this wrong. I was disappointed. I am not going to put another $900.out on another cruise at this point .

Thoughts please.. 

you had it right, the agent had it wrong.  Call back ask for a supervisor if necessary.  I’ve personally done 4 reservations like this in the past  week.