Captain’s Club Power Up Points

cruisestitch

I will say that the other division of people are those that “worry about everything” and those, like me, that “never worries”.  I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority 

So if you tell me that these points will be posted on November 14, I’ll accept that and just wait until it happens as there are greater tragedies in life

Edited by Cruise till you drop

5 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I will say that the other division of people are those that “worry about everything” and those, like me, that “never worries”.  I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority 

So if you tell me that these points will be posted on November 14, I’ll accept that and just wait until it happens as there are greater tragedies in life

With the stated date of November 14th, how many people will check their Captain's Club account in hopes of an earlier deposited date.  Once the points are there, then what.  A quick smile and then on to the next quest for points.🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

IT and corporations routinely tell people to do things their lawyers tell them. 

I had the alternative recommendation (requirements) from IT and Legal Council.   Due to my role I handled sensitive data and often there was litigation and I was not permitted to delete any email or throw away any paper, scratchpad work product.    All the paper would go in a box and when full would go into storage until litigation was  finalized.  

Maybe because of this I never delete e-mails.    While I understand others constant cleaning up.   I'm surprised how often I access very old emails as the president of our HOA.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mahasamatman said:
17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

in addition to the Glass Half Full and Glass Half Empty division of the world

There's a third group there - engineers. We believe the glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

You are leaving out the most important group....wine drinkers. While we realize that asking whether the glass is half empty or half full is a silly question, as we are well aware it is refillable, we also realize it is only half the size it should be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

You are leaving out the most important group....wine drinkers. While we realize that asking whether the glass is half empty or half full is a silly question, as we are well aware it is refillable, we also realize it is only half the size it should be.

Umm. Wine glasses should not be full. Red wine should be about a third full and in a large glass and white wine about half full in a smaller glass. Five oz in a glass.  

24 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Umm. Wine glasses should not be full. Red wine should be about a third full and in a large glass and white wine about half full in a smaller glass. Five oz in a glass.  

Ummmm.....thanks? I'm sorry my attempt at humour did not connect.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

When I was a student in France, the local bar had stemmed wine glasses that held exactly 5 oz to the brim – because the locals were suspicious and if the glass wasn't filled to the brim they were sure they were being cheated.  Given the quality of included wines on many cruise ships, there would be no danger of doing the same!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

When I was a student in France, the local bar had stemmed wine glasses that held exactly 5 oz to the brim – because the locals were suspicious and if the glass wasn't filled to the brim they were sure they were being cheated.  Given the quality of included wines on many cruise ships, there would be no danger of doing the same!

My favorite cabernet glasses (well thin crystal) at home are probably 25 oz glasses. Probably not as good technically as the nicer riedels, but seems pretty close to me. Thin lip and plenty of nose volume. The riedels I have seen on the cruise ships usually have a fill line marked on them if you look closely, especially if they are the commercial restaurant series. Princess only has their good stemware at the wine bar, and actually have different glasses if you are leaving the wine bar itself. Due to their premier package and overabundance of OBC on my last Princes cruise, I pretty much spent 10 nights gorging myself on caymus cab. I did manage to sweet talk (tip?) my way into taking his nice glasses away with me as long as I promised to return them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

My favorite cabernet glasses (well thin crystal) at home are probably 25 oz glasses. Probably not as good technically as the nicer riedels, but seems pretty close to me. Thin lip and plenty of nose volume. The riedels I have seen on the cruise ships usually have a fill line marked on them if you look closely, especially if they are the commercial restaurant series. Princess only has their good stemware at the wine bar, and actually have different glasses if you are leaving the wine bar itself. Due to their premier package and overabundance of OBC on my last Princes cruise, I pretty much spent 10 nights gorging myself on caymus cab. I did manage to sweet talk (tip?) my way into taking his nice glasses away with me as long as I promised to return them.

A toast to more PowerUp points!

image.thumb.jpeg.74c393aee44ed3512c753f5c29d22cb7.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

I have a couple Reidel Bordeaux glasses that hold an entire bottle of wine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Taking pictures of bottles for next cruise.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Is stags leap worth the money I almost bought a bottle today

I am by no means a connoisseur. Some may even say I drink swill. I have probably 150 bottles of mostly cabernet, with some blends, merlots, and a few rioja's. Most in the $15-$30 price point, maybe a dozen getting up to that $60 range (when purchased). That being said I will buy wine and hang onto to some for 8-10 years if it ages well. But I drink what I like, anything I like, regardless of price, I consider good. Most of what I have I consider an every day drinker, no skin off my back to just pop open a bottle cause I feel like it. This just so you can consider my opinion worthless:)

Wines such as  Stag's Leap, Simi, Robert Mondavi Napa, Caymus, I consider to be a very nice wine for their price points. You can find better from smaller wineries, or find worse at a much higher price point. They are fairly large production wines, but value consistency. I will never turn down any of these I mentioned. If Stag's Leap is at a comfortable price point for you, give it a try. Interesting history in Stags Leap district,  there is Stag's Leap and Stags' Leap. Both are good, Stag's Leap better in my opinion.

And if you see one called Groth, I think it is better than Caymus at $10-$15 cheaper.

8 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I am by no means a connoisseur. Some may even say I drink swill. I have probably 150 bottles of mostly cabernet, with some blends, merlots, and a few rioja's. Most in the $15-$30 price point, maybe a dozen getting up to that $60 range (when purchased). That being said I will buy wine and hang onto to some for 8-10 years if it ages well. But I drink what I like, anything I like, regardless of price, I consider good. Most of what I have I consider an every day drinker, no skin off my back to just pop open a bottle cause I feel like it. This just so you can consider my opinion worthless:)

Wines such as  Stag's Leap, Simi, Robert Mondavi Napa, Caymus, I consider to be a very nice wine for their price points. You can find better from smaller wineries, or find worse at a much higher price point. They are fairly large production wines, but value consistency. I will never turn down any of these I mentioned. If Stag's Leap is at a comfortable price point for you, give it a try. Interesting history in Stags Leap district,  there is Stag's Leap and Stags' Leap. Both are good, Stag's Leap better in my opinion.

And if you see one called Groth, I think it is better than Caymus at $10-$15 cheaper.

It was Stags Leap Artemis cost $98 🇨🇦 $. A bit pricey so I walked away sometimes it will be offered at 5 bucks off. Just wondering if worth the money.  Thanks for your input

9 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

But I drink what I like, anything I like, regardless of price, I consider good. 

This is the perfect answer and what I've been telling people for 30 years.  Drink what you like and don't let anyone (including somms, critics and wine retailers) tell you otherwise. I've had $25 bottles of wine that beat the pants off of $250 bottles.  Much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, wine 'goodness' is in the palate of the drinker. 

btw--I could be wrong but that picture looks like Water Island in the background (as taken from sub base on St Thomas).  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

It was Stags Leap Artemis cost $98 🇨🇦 $. A bit pricey so I walked away sometimes it will be offered at 5 bucks off. Just wondering if worth the money.  Thanks for your input

The Artemis (Stag's Leap) is a better bottle than what I have pictured (Stags' Leap) in my opinion. And a bit pricier. Even that 2013 I pictured can be found in the US for $50-$60 a bottle, where an Artemis is probably closer to $75 for a 2019 (and I would hold it for at least 3 years after that). I haven't had an Artemis in a few years, but personally rate it a tick above the basic Caymus. I'm probably in the minority on that though. Those price points are my one or 2 a year bottles, usually family Christmas gift stuff. I'm too poor to be drinking that stuff on the regular. Rather save it for vacations.

37 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

This is the perfect answer and what I've been telling people for 30 years.  Drink what you like and don't let anyone (including somms, critics and wine retailers) tell you otherwise. I've had $25 bottles of wine that beat the pants off of $250 bottles.  Much like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, wine 'goodness' is in the palate of the drinker. 

btw--I could be wrong but that picture looks like Water Island in the background (as taken from sub base on St Thomas).

My mother and I used to compete to find the best under $20 bottle of wine we could (under $30 now...we getting old and inflation).

I do believe that is Water Island in the background, with the picture taken from the Crown Bay Dock in 2019.

• Like 1

Then there’s famous Cask 23….

And I hope we get more PowerUp Point opportunities. 

Edited by mahdnc
Added a PUP reference to qualify for staying in topic
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

In the email the say it will be posted BY November 14 -- which causes ambiguity as to exactly when we should check. 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

In the email the say it will be posted BY November 14 -- which causes ambiguity as to exactly when we should check. 

When has any ever company reacted earlier than absolutely required for issues that are beneficial to the customer?

• Haha 1