Come sail with me on a virtual cruise on Majestic Princess to Fiji!

ellie1145

2 minutes ago, dides said:

Hi Ellie, in the first few Majestic Princess cruises there were a few complaints that the Hollywood Pool area had a very strong smell of chlorine. Is that still the case?

Sandra

Hi Sandra

Well, from my own experience there was no problem with a chlorine smell. I swam every evening, after the first couple of days, and never found it an issue. The water was lovely and warm, so had there been an issue with a smell of chlorine I’m sure it would have been very noticeable.

6 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

Hi Sandra

Well, from my own experience there was no problem with a chlorine smell. I swam every evening, after the first couple of days, and never found it an issue. The water was lovely and warm, so had there been an issue with a smell of chlorine I’m sure it would have been very noticeable.

Great, they must have a sorted it then. It was a bit strong and never noticed it on any other indoor pools on Princess before.

Sandra

Edited by dides

17 minutes ago, PurpleTraveller said:

The answer should be too many! 😂 But my real answer is 100.

Well done! 

Our quizmaster onboard actually said there were 115, but your answer is the more common one.

As you say, way too many! 🙀

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

As you say, way too many! 🙀

Definitely too many! At my country place (about 250km west of Sydney) we get mostly red-bellied black snakes but also brown and tiger snakes. Fortunately we don't often see snakes but I still get a fright when I do! 😱

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Definitely too many! At my country place (about 250km west of Sydney) we get mostly red-bellied black snakes but also brown and tiger snakes. Fortunately we don't often see snakes but I still get a fright when I do! 😱

Oh my goodness, how scary! Are they poisonous? 🙀

17 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

That was a bit mean of me wasn’t it? 

So here is me in the swimming pool, taken by DH, who hardly ever takes photos and usually cuts people’s heads off, or their feet.. I’m waving at you by the way.

377E9DE8-63DD-4437-A1B8-E59B1C6401F5.thumb.jpeg.bddc393ea44452db025fc6cd4d910e20.jpeg

I had a good laugh of the movie still and spent the next 20 minutes trying to think of a snappy comeback but failed in that endeavor. I guess an image of you that is 5 x 5 pixels will have to suffice! 

• Like 1

Hi Ellie,

I am all set, waiting to meet up for the adventure of the day in Vanuatu! My water shoes , bug spray and sunscreen are all packed in my backpack along with my towel, water and sunglasses.

I see Dides beat me to the dot on i or j ---- but I know the body part with no blood supply, it is the cornea.

Gail

• Like 1

Port Vila, Vanuatu

Our first sight of Vanuatu in the morning.

10114420-C077-48E3-B53D-6F466F569118.thumb.jpeg.c2686a697f9202b3ef370db47708d7cf.jpeg

6759733B-6008-445C-8A01-EBAEA8943FCA.thumb.jpeg.688146db58373283617e0901a1963993.jpeg

Today it’s sunny with light clouds and temperatures of 26 degrees C (79 degrees F). We have covered a distance of 202 nautical miles since leaving Lifou yesterday, and our speed has been a slower 16.8 knots.

Vanuatu is made up of about 82 volcanic islands, and the capital, Port Vila, is on the large island of Efate, which has a tropical climate. Vanuatu has strong economic and cultural ties to the uK, Australia, New Zealand and the European Union. Our own Prince Charles visited these islands recently. 

However, there are genuine concerns about the increasing influence of the People’s Republic of China, which has been providing increasing amounts of aid and loans. Over 50% of Vanuatu’s debt is owed to China.

Their main exports are copra, kava, timber, beef, and cocoa. Tourism is increasingly important. 

Edited by ellie1145

Bula Bula Ellie

I have been following along and you are telling a great story.  We did the same itinerary as you - but in January of 2019.  Absolutely loved it.  Everyone is so friendly.  Can't wait to see what you did in Dravuni Island - on the far side of the island you have the best coral/snorkling we have found anywhere in the world.

A couple of things that some of the readers may wish to know that haven't been mentioned.

Blue Mountains - if you have the opportunity and have a car, the Jenolan Caves are spectacular and are a must see.

Manly - it's an easy ferry ride from Circular Quay in Sydney.  The beach area is very touristy but you can walk the entire North Head through the military base and end back in Manly - called the Sanctuary Loop which is 8 km long.  You start at Shelley beach, loop around the North Head of the harbour (most outer part of the harbour), where you see dramatic cliffs, bush, and travel through the old military base with gun turrets, tunnels, etc.  Heading back into Manly on the harbour side you go through a forested area and end at a nice beach.  Then during sailaway you get to see the area from a different viewpoint - as you sail out of the harbour you can pick out the camouflaged turrets, etc.

Our thoughts about the Majestic Princess

- it is a spectacular ship but the balconies are very tiny, as are they on all the Royal Class ships. 

- Crooners is away from the central piazza which we don't like. 

- The Hollywood pool is fantastic, is relaxing, and I agree that the area is never crowded.  Like you, we believe that passengers think it is like the Sanctuary which must be reserved so they don't use it.

- At the back of the World Fresh Marketplace (buffet) is a Mongolian Grill which is open for lunch every second day  - you choose your raw ingredients and place them in a bowl, give it to the chef, and viola you have a fresh dish with exactly what you want.  This is also the area where you have omelets made in the morning.

- Ramen noodle bar - great addition to the quick food options around the pool.

Lifou - the beach is as you say, right off the dock and is a great place to relax.  If you like to snorkle there are some fish, but it's not great.  But if you go closer over to the dock, you will see turtles.

Thanks everyone for sharing your adventures.

Ray and Ann

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 10:53 AM, ellie1145 said:

I think we MUST believe that eventually we will be able to cruise. I can’t imagine a life without cruising. There is nothing quite like it, and I cannot imagine sitting in a hotel or on a beach for 2 weeks, although many people enjoy that sort of holiday.

Exactly this!!We have friends and family who just don't see the attraction of cruising but to us we can't imagine life without it! My husband has to take anti  sea sickness tablet every day yet he still loves cruising. (He's great on planes,  turbulence doesn't bother him !)Sad that this ship is not doing the same route as I  might have been very tempted with your amazing report and pictures, but as you say who knows when we will be able to safely cruise.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, winifred said:

.......but as you say who knows when we will be able to safely cruise.     

You guys in the UK will be cruising long before us in the USA. My guess is no cruising here till there is a vaccine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rmf11699 said:

You guys in the UK will be cruising long before us in the USA. My guess is no cruising here till there is a vaccine. 

so the UK'ers will be cruising without a vaccine ? hmmm ... good for them, I guess

what could possibly go wrong ?

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

so the UK'ers will be cruising without a vaccine ? hmmm ... good for them, I guess

what could possibly go wrong ?

My apologies Ellie, Covid talk shouldn't be in this thread. Tons of other threads for people to vent their frustrations and opinions on that topic.

• Thanks 1

Our Tour Today

AC79C95D-1ADD-4EEA-95C0-2CB789361AFE.thumb.jpeg.597713ec55813b1d0dbf0d7553b96b3e.jpeg

When we went on this cruise in January 2018, a lovely CC member organised a private tour round Vanuatu, and it was probably the best tour we’d ever done. We saw so much of beautiful Vanuatu, thanks to her, that I vowed to repeat the experience should we ever return. I can tell you now that I had absolutely NO idea how much she must have put into the organisation, and if she’s reading this then I would like to thank her once again.

D6519E72-191F-416C-A3A7-CDE9E70BD4E0.thumb.jpeg.8173e29a5584616a9656b10f662f2b34.jpeg

So when I knew we were going back to Vanuatu  I managed to contact the driver and told him what I wanted to see, and he said he’d have room in the van for 14 more people. So, for my sins, I offered it on the Roll Call, and set off a chain of events that was both worrying and stressful but SO rewarding! I really didn’t think that anyone would be interested, but to my great surprise there was lots of interest. In fact, by the end of it, I had to ask for a second van to be available and we filled both.

It was a lot of work, and I felt incredibly responsible for the enjoyment of everyone as I wanted them to have the best possible time. I negotiated a tour which would include a visit to the fruit and vegetable market, the Pepeyo Cultural Village, the Turtle farm, Eton Beach, and finally, the Blue Lagoon.

7E310540-DCB8-4939-9CC5-4D81F36722FC.thumb.jpeg.45ec02a058c8bcf34bbe7cb7eb7384a4.jpeg

It literally took weeks to organise, and I was in regular contact with everyone, and with Tony in Fiji, even speaking to him on Facebook before we left the UK. I had decided to collect the money onboard, prior to the tour, as I was worried that if people dropped out at the last minute then others would have to pay more, and that went very smoothly.

Emails flew backwards and forwards to the USA, Australia and Vanuatu, and it was lovely to meet everyone virtually. I was then lucky enough to meet several people at the Meet and Greet, so it was good to put a name to a face.

The cost of the tour was $30 US, and this price included the tour bus for a full day, plus refreshments and water. We would pay our own entrance fees, including lunch at the turtle farm, and in the end I was able to return a few dollars to each person after the tour. It seemed pretty good value for a whole day trip.

I did make two suggestions of things to bring, which were mosquito repellent and water shoes. Mosquito repellent was essential, particularly at the Cultural Village, and water shoes would be helpful when swimming, due to the coral.

Once onboard, I took letters round to everyone, and made arrangements to meet on the morning, though that didn’t go exactly to plan. I had made copious lists, and labels so that every person knew which bus they would be on, and I hoped that all would go smoothly on the day. I collected the Tour money from everyone on the sea days, and people were absolutely brilliant, despite not knowing me from Adam. However, at least they knew I couldn’t possibly abscond with the money, and it certainly wasn’t enough for an upgrade to a full suite! 😉

So come join us for our Vanuatu adventure. 

6 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

1.  How many venomous snakes are there in Australia?

2.  What baby girl was born on February 22nd, 10,000 BC

3.  Which part of the body has no blood supply?

4.   What is the dot on an ‘i’ called?

Well done, everyone, just question 2 to go.

There are 100 venomous snakes in Australia.

The cornea has no blood supply - it gets it’s oxygen directly through the air, and is the fastest healing tissue in the human body. Apparently, most corneal abrasions will heal within. 24-36 hours. 

The dot on an ‘i’ is called a tittle.

Just question number 4 to go - here’s a clue, the person is not real, and appears in a very popular series set in the prehistoric age........

1 hour ago, rmf11699 said:

I had a good laugh of the movie still and spent the next 20 minutes trying to think of a snappy comeback but failed in that endeavor. I guess an image of you that is 5 x 5 pixels will have to suffice! 

Patience, patience.... all in good time! 😉

No photos until I’ve attended those seminars I’m afraid....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLK33853 said:

Bula Bula Ellie

I have been following along and you are telling a great story.  We did the same itinerary as you - but in January of 2019.  Absolutely loved it.  Everyone is so friendly.  Can't wait to see what you did in Dravuni Island - on the far side of the island you have the best coral/snorkling we have found anywhere in the world.

A couple of things that some of the readers may wish to know that haven't been mentioned.

Blue Mountains - if you have the opportunity and have a car, the Jenolan Caves are spectacular and are a must see.

Manly - it's an easy ferry ride from Circular Quay in Sydney.  The beach area is very touristy but you can walk the entire North Head through the military base and end back in Manly - called the Sanctuary Loop which is 8 km long.  You start at Shelley beach, loop around the North Head of the harbour (most outer part of the harbour), where you see dramatic cliffs, bush, and travel through the old military base with gun turrets, tunnels, etc.  Heading back into Manly on the harbour side you go through a forested area and end at a nice beach.  Then during sailaway you get to see the area from a different viewpoint - as you sail out of the harbour you can pick out the camouflaged turrets, etc.

Our thoughts about the Majestic Princess

- it is a spectacular ship but the balconies are very tiny, as are they on all the Royal Class ships. 

- Crooners is away from the central piazza which we don't like. 

- The Hollywood pool is fantastic, is relaxing, and I agree that the area is never crowded.  Like you, we believe that passengers think it is like the Sanctuary which must be reserved so they don't use it.

- At the back of the World Fresh Marketplace (buffet) is a Mongolian Grill which is open for lunch every second day  - you choose your raw ingredients and place them in a bowl, give it to the chef, and viola you have a fresh dish with exactly what you want.  This is also the area where you have omelets made in the morning.

- Ramen noodle bar - great addition to the quick food options around the pool.

Lifou - the beach is as you say, right off the dock and is a great place to relax.  If you like to snorkle there are some fish, but it's not great.  But if you go closer over to the dock, you will see turtles.

Thanks everyone for sharing your adventures.

Ray and Ann

Bula, Bula, Ray and Ann. Glad you are enjoying the adventure. 

Thank you so much for that additional information. 

We absolutely love Dravuni, though it is changing rapidly and civilisation is catching up to it. We don’t snorkel, but that is very useful information. It was a lovely itinerary wasn’t it? We looked at February 2021 but decided it just wouldn’t be worth the risk as we are still owed for our May BTB on Caribbean Princess, with flights and hotel etc. 

I think we would consider hiring a car another time to explore the Blue Mountains, and maybe stay in the area. The caves will be duly added to our bucket list. 

We didn’t get to Manly, but that information is invaluable. On our to-do list for next time. 

I’m afraid Majestic Princess does have small balconies, but it was sufficient for us, and the newness of the ship made up for the smallness of the balconies. But it is a shame they are not as large as on the Grand Class ships.

We missed the Mongolian Grill, somehow. We didn't find the noodle bar either! Oh dear....Now I do need to return to Majestic Princess!

The first time we went to Lifou we waited for the tender and on the left hand side (facing the ship) there were lots of turtles in the sea. We didn’t see any this time.

If you have any photos of any of these things do share them with us, please. 

Many thanks, again!

Edited by ellie1145

1 hour ago, cnd crsr said:

Hi Ellie,

I am all set, waiting to meet up for the adventure of the day in Vanuatu! My water shoes , bug spray and sunscreen are all packed in my backpack along with my towel, water and sunglasses.

I see Dides beat me to the dot on i or j ---- but I know the body part with no blood supply, it is the cornea.

Gail

Glad you are all ready and waiting, the tour bus is ready for us all, so I’ll get on with the tour. 

47 minutes ago, winifred said:

Exactly this!!We have friends and family who just don't see the attraction of cruising but to us we can't imagine life without it! My husband has to take anti  sea sickness tablet every day yet he still loves cruising. (He's great on planes,  turbulence doesn't bother him !)Sad that this ship is not doing the same route as I  might have been very tempted with your amazing report and pictures, but as you say who knows when we will be able to safely cruise.     

Winifred, I think cruising is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it, there’s no middle path. And those that hate it just don’t know what they are missing. But it’s not for everyone, thankfully. 

Yes it is sad, she is supposed to be doing this itinerary in February 2021 but think that’s too risky at the moment. 

50 minutes ago, rmf11699 said:

Well, rmf11699, we have been advised here by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office that NOBODY should cruise, so without that our Travel Insurance would be Invalid so not worth the risk.

I think, sadly, it’s still too early to even guess. 😷