Coral Princess Medallion Puzzlement

hydrodriver831

We are booked on the Coral Princess for a 12 day Alaska cruise May 2021 (hopefully) and noticed the cruise before (L.A. to Vancouver) was a Medallion Vacation Cruise (also the one before FLL to L.A. is a Medallion Vacation Cruise).  The 12 day Alaska, however, is listed as a Medallion Net Available cruise and looks like not a full Medallion Vacation Cruise.  Have tried contacting our PVP and Captains Circle, but no reply, though I can understand why as they are probably very busy. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or possible reasons.

Medallion implementation will be subject to the financial and pandemic-related barriers Carnival Corp takes consideration of, so though Coral was set to become a Medallion ship this upcoming October, the ship might not get it at all for some time; we just don't know yet. For your specific problem, though, I think it's just a website glitch connected to the Alaska cruises specifically, as the original schedule for Coral's Medallion installment was what I mentioned above. It shouldn't be an issue for the cruise.

I thought I heard that Princess was updating all their ships to Medallion class during this pause.  I think it was during Jan Schwartz' video conference the other day ... could be mistaking on that, though.  I tend to agree with snoozecruise that it is subject to financial barriers, though.  

BTW, IMO the Medallion Net is the biggest benefit of the Ocean Medallion.  We've only sailed on one full Medallion cruise.  It was the first sailing for that ship with the OM.  It definitely had some glitches throughout the cruise.  The internet was not one of them, though.  

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I thought I heard that Princess was updating all their ships to Medallion class during this pause.  I think it was during Jan Schwartz' video conference the other day ... could be mistaking on that, though.  I tend to agree with snoozecruise that it is subject to financial barriers, though.  

hey, yep; you're definitely right about the video saying those things. I just felt like Princess was subtly telling us they'd only be using ships that already have Medallion rather than the other way around, which would mean finding the means to install Medallion on all ships before launching with them right away. But I'll stand corrected if things are all done before cruising resumes. And I so agree about the benefits of Medallion Net; when it works smoothly, it really is exceptional.

5 hours ago, MudderBear said:

Medallian is similar to the Disney Magic Band?

It kind of is, yeah. Like the Magic Band, the Medallion is your room key and what you use to purchase things, from drinks to shop items. 

12 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

hey, yep; you're definitely right about the video saying those things. I just felt like Princess was subtly telling us they'd only be using ships that already have Medallion rather than the other way around, which would mean finding the means to install Medallion on all ships before launching with them right away. But I'll stand corrected if things are all done before cruising resumes. And I so agree about the benefits of Medallion Net; when it works smoothly, it really is exceptional.

It kind of is, yeah. Like the Magic Band, the Medallion is your room key and what you use to purchase things, from drinks to shop items. 

One difference is that Princess can track where the Medallion is when you on on the ship, so if you have it with you, Princess can find you. This feature allows, with your permission, to have others (relatives, friends, etc) locate you if they want.

38 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

In the most recent advertisement Princess noted that they are returning to cruising with an all Medallion fleet.  I think this app is going to be vital for them to comply with any new CDC / COVID19 standards.

In what way will this be involved with compliance?  And for all the other lines' compliance? 

20 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

That makes a LOT of sense!!  I'm sure they don't want to put any extra money into a ship that they might have to sell down the road.  

Yes .. that internet was a dream.  I have free minutes on Princess and without the Medallion Net, there were cruises where I couldn't even get WiFi the entire time.  I know some of that has to do with the location of the ship but, this was ridiculous.  I even asked the Internet Cafe guy once if it would be worth it for me to purchase the premium unlimited ... his reply was, only if I wanted to waste my money.  Enough said.  I'm so appreciative of the Medallion Net, which I've only experienced once.  I had the same experience on a Celebrity ship when they installed the new and improved WiFi system.  I suppose I will get all sorts of grief from someone about wanting to be on the internet ... I have my reasons, none of which include taking my device to a lecture, the dining room or to a lounge / bar.  

18 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

In the most recent advertisement Princess noted that they are returning to cruising with an all Medallion fleet.  I think this app is going to be vital for them to comply with any new CDC / COVID19 standards.

On another thread there was a post indicating this statement has been changed. All ships might have MedallionNet (and I doubt that), but not all will have the Medallion.

On 7/27/2020 at 12:31 PM, snoozecrooze said:

A Princess video did say all ships would be medallion class, then was changed to say most of the ships would have it.