Ghost ships are becoming a tourist attraction

excitedofharpenden

Hardly a great reason for tourism, but I guess this happens. I know a couple of people who have seen all three Azamara ships in Glasgow. Quite a sight!

This is a very interesting read. All the ships in and around the English Channel and what is happening:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53720419

Phil 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Hardly a great reason for tourism, but I guess this happens. I know a couple of people who have seen all three Azamara ships in Glasgow. Quite a sight!

This is a very interesting read. All the ships in and around the English Channel and what is happening:

Phil 

I wish we'd known about this.....just returned from a week visiting family in Hampshire, albeit not on the coast! Would have been a most enjoyable trip in the fab weather we enjoyed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Thanks for posting this Phil, interesting article.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 8:06 PM, Issyalex said:

3 Azamara ships docked at King George V, Shieldhall, Glasgow. It’s lovely to see them this far up the River Clyde. 

0C445135-F703-4EDA-BF55-21CF24CF7DCF.png

Hi Issyalex 👋🏻, we’ve taken a run up to Glasgow to see the sisters. Can’t wait to be on board again. Hope you are well in these weird times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tiggertom said:

Hi Issyalex 👋🏻, we’ve taken a run up to Glasgow to see the sisters. Can’t wait to be on board again. Hope you are well in these weird times.

Hi Tig 👋🏻 Lovely to hear from you. How’s you doing? We are fine. Alex started back at work yesterday. 😀 I retired end last year so being at home is my new normal. 😂 We’ve passed the ships several times and went on a reckie to get up close and personal as we could to them. Sad or what? 🙈😂😂😂😂😂😂

We’ve had 2 cruises and a city break to Prague cancelled this year. 😭😭 However we have 2 cruises booked for next year. First one is in April on Oceania on Sirena so we’ve fingers and toes crossed 🤞🏻 that it goes ahead. I won’t mind wearing a mask in public areas as long as I can eat and drink while cruising I’ll be a happy bunny. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Issyalex said:

Hi Tig 👋🏻 Lovely to hear from you. How’s you doing? We are fine. Alex started back at work yesterday. 😀 I retired end last year so being at home is my new normal. 😂 We’ve passed the ships several times and went on a reckie to get up close and personal as we could to them. Sad or what? 🙈😂😂😂😂😂😂

We’ve had 2 cruises and a city break to Prague cancelled this year. 😭😭 However we have 2 cruises booked for next year. First one is in April on Oceania on Sirena so we’ve fingers and toes crossed 🤞🏻 that it goes ahead. I won’t mind wearing a mask in public areas as long as I can eat and drink while cruising I’ll be a happy bunny. 

Yes, we have had two cruises cancelled this year as well, so next year is going to be very busy. Next time we are on Azamara is Feb 2022 to South Africa, 🤞🏻. I am working part time from home and V is retired so the garden is looking great. Hope Alex didn’t find it too hard getting back into the swing of things. I’m finding it difficult to imagine what a cruise will be like in the new world but I am looking forward to trying it.

2 hours ago, tiggertom said:

Yes, we have had two cruises cancelled this year as well, so next year is going to be very busy. Next time we are on Azamara is Feb 2022 to South Africa, 🤞🏻. I am working part time from home and V is retired so the garden is looking great. Hope Alex didn’t find it too hard getting back into the swing of things. I’m finding it difficult to imagine what a cruise will be like in the new world but I am looking forward to trying it.

Funnily enough with lockdown and our unusual sunny weather our garden is looking good too! Alex is the gardener in our house. Also 3 rooms were redecorated too! See good things come out of bad. 😂😂😂 He’s enjoying being back at work. I think he was worried about the pupils not wearing masks or using hand gel prior to getting into the car but he says they are. However his biggest worry is if they’ve been to the pub or other mass gathering at the weekend and still take their driving lesson knowing that someone they were with has symptoms and being tested. 

we cannot wait to get back to cruising. I think by next year they will hopefully have everything in place. 🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 1

Lots of cruise ships anchored off the South Coast where we live.  Four of them today. At least two Royal Caribbean.  We sit on the pier and pretend we are waiting for the tender to arrive!  So desperate for a cruise I would give anything just to be on one of those ships even if it didn't go anywhere.E67E8526-4317-4A30-BC54-E4875A0A6FA9.jpeg.53748e976f50ad2c48e82bda3d615c38.jpeg48AD7001-6CF2-47A5-8E20-1F100191781D.jpeg.4d2b3ea7dac1bcfd07d02c01f9c26e3d.jpeg

• Like 1

Ha ha.  I haven't Read any Patrick O'Brien books but having read some reviews I will download one.   Any recommendations?  Thanks.    So no, not Shelmerston, I think that is supposed to be in Devon.  We are in Dorset so not that far away!    

Now we are off to see which cruise ships are out there today.   

3 minutes ago, beachmudhut said:

Ha ha.  I haven't Read any Patrick O'Brien books but having read some reviews I will download one.   Any recommendations?  Thanks.    So no, not Shelmerston, I think that is supposed to be in Devon.  We are in Dorset so not that far away!    

Quite a selection of Royal Caribbean and P&O’s Aurora according to MarineTraffic.

D6363B48-5EAE-4803-9BFC-B7FD3BA4D33B.thumb.jpeg.e87b512578a530c48cea5e3c437ffeb9.jpeg

6 hours ago, beachmudhut said:

The characters develop throughout the series, so it is best to begin at the beginning with Master and Commander.  [Note that the movie of the same name actually uses bits of the plots of several of the novels, so even if you have seen it the book will read completely differently.] 

Shelmerston is featured in The Letter of Marque, which is the 12th book in the series (out of 20 completed novels plus one partial).  Shelmerston may be based on the real town of Appledore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appledore,_Torridge

BTW pay careful attention to the unusual spelling of the author's name:  O'Brian [with an 'a']

Happy reading!  Since we can't sail ourselves these days, reading about Captain Aubrey is the next best thing.

In March of this year, just as things started to go haywire down under, we had quite a few of these "ghost ships" situated off the coast of Sydney. I made the trip down to the south coast, a little ways out of Sydney and put together a video. It was quite the sight. I remember thinking in March that it wouldn't be long before things would return to normal, and now here we are in September (just about), and we're still in the midst of it all!

If it's not ok to share this video, feel free to delete.