Flagship Rotterdam (Ryndam)

cwppwc

We were booked on the inaugural May/June 10 day cruise leg of the new Ryndam from Rome to Amsterdam.  With the sale of the "older" Rotterdam, the Ryndam has been renamed as the new Rotterdam and due to Covid related manufacturing delays, our cruise from Rome has been rescheduled to August 8th.  We are pleased that the cruise has been extended from 10 days to 14 days for the same cost.  They had a tentative new itinerary when they sent the email explaining the delay and stated the itinerary may change.  So I've been checking periodically and tonight I found that rather than stopping in Bordeaux, France, we are now spending the time in Rotterdam, Netherlands, which was not on the initial itinerary.  We are very excited to be on this inaugural cruise when the MS Rotterdam pulls into its namesake city.  We can only imagine the reception we will get!!

2 hours ago, cwppwc said:

We were booked on the inaugural May/June 10 day cruise leg of the new Ryndam from Rome to Amsterdam.  With the sale of the "older" Rotterdam, the Ryndam has been renamed as the new Rotterdam and due to Covid related manufacturing delays, our cruise from Rome has been rescheduled to August 8th.  We are pleased that the cruise has been extended from 10 days to 14 days for the same cost.  They had a tentative new itinerary when they sent the email explaining the delay and stated the itinerary may change.  So I've been checking periodically and tonight I found that rather than stopping in Bordeaux, France, we are now spending the time in Rotterdam, Netherlands, which was not on the initial itinerary.  We are very excited to be on this inaugural cruise when the MS Rotterdam pulls into its namesake city.  We can only imagine the reception we will get!!

I hope you will get a good one, because she is too big to go to Bordeaux.

We are waiting to book from August 1st, for the first two cruises.  There is an idea floating around that the overnight in Rotterdam will be for the naming ceremonies by someone of royalty!  Just hope passengers are allowed to stay around for that.

Every day our PCC emails me "Cruises not posted yet!"   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

We are waiting to book from August 1st, for the first two cruises.  There is an idea floating around that the overnight in Rotterdam will be for the naming ceremonies by someone of royalty!  Just hope passengers are allowed to stay around for that.

Every day our PCC emails me "Cruises not posted yet!"   

Probably Princess Amalia, daughter of Willem Alexander..

20 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I hope you will get a good one, because she is too big to go to Bordeaux.

I am just wondering on what basis you are saying the ship is too big to go to the Garonne River port, besides your well known bias against the new HAL ships.

The Crystal Symphony docks there and has a draft of 24 feet, while the new Rotterdam has a draft of 25 feet. The new Rotterdam also has azipods which you would think would make it very maneuverable. Is there a bridge that the ship would have to go under?

Just wondering.

• Like 1

We were on the Rotterdam for her 100th sailing. Princess Magriet of the Netherlands came to see us of as well as a ceremony. It was a lively Dutch celebration. Everyone was able to get a look Princess Magriet before the ship sailed off. Very festive throughout the cruise. From the get go, check in until the reached open water (north sea) there was music, people waving from everywhere, shore, other boats and cars sitting on the edge of the canal. It was a very nice experience.  Hopefully,  you will experience a Dutch sent off as well. 

Screenshot_20200813-233347_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Snits
Added picture

3 hours ago, NordicPrince said:

I am just wondering on what basis you are saying the ship is too big to go to the Garonne River port, besides your well known bias against the new HAL ships.

The Crystal Symphony docks there and has a draft of 24 feet, while the new Rotterdam has a draft of 25 feet. The new Rotterdam also has azipods which you would think would make it very maneuverable. Is there a bridge that the ship would have to go under?

Just wondering.

Can't fit under the bridge..

9 hours ago, NordicPrince said:

Just wondering.

6 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Can't fit under the bridge..

Here is the bridge that we went under on the little Prinsendam

18B54BDE-3FEA-4F4F-A6AC-CB5A04327FD1.thumb.jpeg.9f32dc336428042d797529dd4b22b719.jpeg

And the Prinsendam passing underneath it.  You can see there isn’t a lot of space.

ABE9E824-511B-42A0-8C9C-B81A545561C9.thumb.jpeg.559f202ffd82facebd25e782c5ff8b39.jpeg

428A7A1E-BB74-459D-804E-DD28BDAB941C.thumb.jpeg.2ba7d969e09fd72eb6f5524a8c4b4c01.jpeg

C77FEEC1-505B-4023-9CFE-9D51E7DBA540.thumb.jpeg.3e1e7cd7412613815061ae2a8e22de02.jpeg