Oceania App

H0kie76

On 11/18/2021 at 2:03 PM, Lane412000 said:

See that I learn something new everyday.  After 60+ cruises I have now learned the purpose of a real muster drill is to watch people trip over their own life jacket lines.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Just not sure why with the Oceania cruise ships docked for so many months, the company did not take the initiative to develop an app since many other cruise lines have done so?  I guess they were too busy making sure I received my weekly mailing of cruises that were not cruising? 🙂

have you used the RCL app?  The daily calendar had us setting clocks forward at 6am and 9am on the way back we were to set our clocks back at 6am, 9am, and 11am.  Day 6 menu was only Vegan.  Several events overlapped others we in 2 different venues.  But more frustratingly it wouldn’t load on 2 of our iPods!  And I’m sure it probably didn’t run on a kindle, and probably not a kindle fire.  A kindle fire will read a website.  I allow found that some of the checkin stuff ran smoother on a desktop than the app.  But I believe that one should be able to go on a cruise without having anything with a chip in it, unless maybe a car key or a potato chip bag!  For those who believe those are crisps,  and order of chips, without the fish, works for me, although agriculture may have trouble with unsealed foods. 🤫

• Haha 1

I’ve asked companies, numerous times  what part of the smart phone they are using.  No one knows, all I have concluded is that they want you to have cellular data which I don’t, I have no use for it.  If that’s not it then, most tablets etc should be sufficient.  It’s expensive to have a smart phone just to travel, a regular phone works for emergencies away from home and a tablet works better for home use.  

seriously, I spent years in the computer field fixing things and breaking most new software without trying.  I still like the challenge of fixing things but not the frustration that the failures cause when least expected.  I can’t fully check in for a flight without going to the check in desk so I always end up with paper tickets.  There have to be work arounds for other places to.  Barbados would sell you a smart phone for around $50 if you didn’t have one for while you were in quarantine.  It appeared they needed a way to monitor your locator bracelet and to call you if you strayed away.  They no longer require the quarantine, so I’m guessing they no longer need the smart phone either. 

7 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

i have a mobility scooter which for most means using both hands although I don’t.   If someone told me I had to use the menu on the wall, with my short memory at times and having ingredients unexpected in what I might choose, I envision getting on the scooter and running back out to the outside menu several times each dinner.  I suspect I’d have a paper menu second night!  OR the waiter could just bring a large white board or similar with the menu already written on it!  

“No I’m sorry you can’t put my scooter over there, out of the way,  I need it to go back to read the menu”. 

Oceania obviously choose not to go the menu QR code route that the line did this summer. QR codes are not only coming, they’re already here. Your cell phone will be a must carry. Heading to Charleston for the Charleston Food &Wine Festival this week. To get into each event you must be pre registered, have uploaded your Covid vaccination card, had it approved, and received back a QR code for the specific events purchased. No paper tickets, no bumbling with cards at the door. They scan the QR code from your phone and you enter. Just like most restaurants across Europe this summer. No paper menus, scan the QR code and read the menu. Paper menus are going the way of mules pulling a plow. 

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Oceania obviously choose not to go the menu QR code route that the line did this summer. QR codes are not only coming, they’re already here. Your cell phone will be a must carry. Heading to Charleston for the Charleston Food &Wine Festival this week. To get into each event you must be pre registered, have uploaded your Covid vaccination card, had it approved, and received back a QR code for the specific events purchased. No paper tickets, no bumbling with cards at the door. They scan the QR code from your phone and you enter. Just like most restaurants across Europe this summer. No paper menus, scan the QR code and read the menu. Paper menus are going the way of mules pulling a plow. 

i did all those functions with an iPad, except nothing I tried would read a QR code probably because I didn’t have good connections.   My vaccine card I had as a QR code and no one wanted it, but then I wasn’t really trying except at Cruise Line Check in.  I had the info on an iPod too, even one that will no longer install a QR reader.  I’m sure I can get it on a flip phone too!  But, I simply cannot deal with something in my hands nor that I have to carry anything heavy.  Sunglasses are a must, for me, phones are not. Phones don’t work at home nor on many roads I travel.  It’s also not easy to get a new service if you don’t have coverage at home!  And, yes, I’ve tried.  

For what it is worth, we recycle all paper.  Magazines are the most difficult but we find it doable.  

Oh, and we enjoy the ship speed internet that runs normally faster than our low end DSL, the fastest available in our area!  It normally doesn’t drop as much as home does either. 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

21 hours ago, pinotlover said:

as for mules pulling plows, we have horses doing that regularly here.  It’s not likely to stop soon either!  

But I have a question about the apps used in the EU. i haven’t found one that will read a My Chart QR.  Can you tell me which one you were able to use?  Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

as for mules pulling plows, we have horses doing that regularly here.  It’s not likely to stop soon either!  

But I have a question about the apps used in the EU. i haven’t found one that will read a My Chart QR.  Can you tell me which one you were able to use?  Thanks. 

You need a european generated QR code, received by applying for one at a member country, uploading your original vaccine card.  We have a French Pass Sanitaire.  If no phone, one would take their vaccine card to a pharmacy to get a paper QR code.

Edited by Pizzasteve

3 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

You need a european generated QR code, received by applying for one at a member country, uploading your original vaccine card.  We have a French Pass Sanitaire.  If no phone, one would take their vaccine card to a pharmacy to get a paper QR code.

Thanks, that’s what I’d concluded before, that the European QR was different. 

I’ve played with taping a copy on a QR code to an old analog phone, just so it would be on the phone, but governments rarely see the humor in that.  Thanks for the confirmation, even though I still don’t see why a phone is needed. 

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Thanks, that’s what I’d concluded before, that the European QR was different. 

I’ve played with taping a copy on a QR code to an old analog phone, just so it would be on the phone, but governments rarely see the humor in that.  Thanks for the confirmation, even though I still don’t see why a phone is needed. 

It is because part of the covid prevention method was contract tracing, and while active the app allows one to both upload the code and assure it is legitimate through authentication (and not shared or copied) and provide contract tracing data.  The app also provides information about vaccine rates in the area one is travellling and levels of infections to users offering them the data to assess personal risk.

Edited by Pizzasteve

4 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

It is because part of the covid prevention method was contract tracing, and while active the app allows one to both upload the code and assure it is legitimate through authentication (and not shared or copied) and provide contract tracing data.  The app also provides information about vaccine rates in the area one is travellling and levels of infections to users offering them the data to assess personal risk.

i’m no longer sure what “it” is. We did have a state alert system that required software only on a smartphone, but did not require more than blue tooth to do the contact searching.  It was before vaccines so it didn’t take vaccinated into account, just those who later tested positive.  I was never around any one person, outside my household, for more than 15 minutes which was the requirement for a trace.  My perception was that the app was a failure.  I never remember to take any phone out of the car when shopping so the app would have been useless to me anyway. 

We do have an ability to get a QR from our major hospital, but no one is using it probably because there isn’t anyone requiring vax proof in our area.

I'm not oppose to being able to read QRs and check their validity, but the right way to design that is that the reader is the one checking the validity thus paper and an id is fine.  If you need it to have a recent date imbedded, to lower the probability of fraud, that shouldn’t require the smart part of a phone either.  Ultimately, there would probably need to be at least a National place to check against, and that’s not on the horizon here, even if it was opt in.

This is a long thread.  Am I correct in assuming that Oceania does NOT have an app that you can use onboard?

Someone mentioned a tablet in your stateroom, but I wasn't sure if that was correct?

Thanks--I am getting ready to sail in two weeks and want to have everything I needed.

Michael

44 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

This is a long thread.  Am I correct in assuming that Oceania does NOT have an app that you can use onboard?

Someone mentioned a tablet in your stateroom, but I wasn't sure if that was correct?

Thanks--I am getting ready to sail in two weeks and want to have everything I needed.

Michael

Mmmmm. I sailed in November 2021 on Riviera, I did not know of any app. There are a few tablets available depending on your category state room. they go fast I believe.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Mmmmm. I sailed in November 2021 on Riviera, I did not know of any app. There are a few tablets available depending on your category state room. they go fast I believe.

So, everything is just on the paper daily newsletters?  

18 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

and posted in each dining room..........Here is a novel idea,    Go  be surprised by the days menu.   You know, like we used to do..   

That may have worked when there was only one choice for dining, but with Oceania touting the range of free restaurant choices it is very helpful to know the GDR menu in advance so you can make a reservation to avoid the 'weak' menus.  Our Butler arranged to have the GDR menus delivered to our cabin a few days in advance, and then quickly got us specialty reservations for the nights we preferred.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That may have worked when there was only one choice for dining, but with Oceania touting the range of free restaurant choices it is very helpful to know the GDR menu in advance so you can make a reservation to avoid the 'weak' menus.  Our Butler arranged to have the GDR menus delivered to our cabin a few days in advance, and then quickly got us specialty reservations for the nights we preferred.

Hows that work when you  made all you specialty reservations 60 to 75 days prior?  Specialty  venues all have the same-o same-o menu every day every cruise. ????     To be honest after 10 cruises  almost 200 days I have really had no problem with the main dining room..    And if there was ,Terrace serves many of the things the specialties are serving  so you can create your own menu at will.     

But I guess folks need to do what they think best for them....  Me, I like the surprise of trying new unfamiliar  things I may have never had .. Giving the kitchen the control such as in a mich*** place.   It' is like Christmas...fun packages you do not know and whats inside... no preconceived notion or expectations .     

Edited by Hawaiidan

19 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Hows that work when you  made all you specialty reservations 60 to 75 days prior?  Specialty  venues all have the same-o same-o menu every day every cruise. ????     To be honest after 10 cruises  almost 200 days I have really had no problem with the main dining room..    And if there was ,Terrace serves many of the things the specialties are serving  so you can create your own menu at will.     

But I guess folks need to do what they think best for them....  Me, I like the surprise of trying new unfamiliar  things I may have never had .. Giving the kitchen the control such as in a mich*** place.   It' is like Christmas...fun packages you do not know and whats inside... no preconceived notion or expectations .     

Pre-cruise limit was 1 reservation in each of the 4 specialties.  Our Butler got us a second round, on the days we chose.  Unlike the Navy there is more than one entrée choice, and we had no trouble finding at least two excellent choices in each specialty (not to mention that the best dishes are worth trying again a week later).  We dined in Terrace one night – food not as good (steam tables), presentation lacking, just wasn't a fine dining experience.  GDR was fine if you found something you liked – now that they reserve 1-2 entrées for vegetarian/vegans that limits the choices for us apex feeders.

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Pre-cruise limit was 1 reservation in each of the 4 specialties.  Our Butler got us a second round, on the days we chose.  Unlike the Navy there is more than one entrée choice, and we had no trouble finding at least two excellent choices in each specialty (not to mention that the best dishes are worth trying again a week later).  We dined in Terrace one night – food not as good (steam tables), presentation lacking, just wasn't a fine dining experience.  GDR was fine if you found something you liked – now that they reserve 1-2 entrées for vegetarian/vegans that limits the choices for us apex feeders.

Ok..... Me, well I have tried all the entrees in all the specialties I want something different to discover, Like why I took the cruise to discover new places..    The problem with looking for familiar  dishes is that most people go to them out of habit.   They try them to see If it is the same they had at x, Y or Z. and spend the evening comparing to the past. You enter into the deal with a chip on your shoulder .

The Navy was a long time ago...  Today I spend much of my time in France  ,Switzerland and Austria exploring cuisine from bistro to haute.     Places where your order  what the  chef recommends and served in  the way he thinks best..not you.    It is exciting to let go and discover  that which you don't control..    At the French Laundry ,Troisgros  or Pic..  you don't tell Thomas   Sophie or Cesar, how you want what they are fixing done.   Your respect they might know more than you.....      So far that works well...  letting go.   Suprise is exciting to the senses.

france maine, ak 2017 496.JPG

• Like 1

Agreed.  As adults we all must be mindful of what we do and be personally responsible. 

Excited to cruise in a few weeks to Portugal, with its 97% vaccination rate.  Wish we had such a developed sense of social responsibility at home.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My posts are based on my experiences, which are colored by my interests.  Obviously different to yours.  Different people will react differently, and should make up their own minds.

Oh  I agree...  my point was  just  a sort of stimulus to look at what you do  and have done it  with a provocation to consider other options on whatever you do..    We are creatures of habit    I am no different.  Change is  always an adversary to us.        

On 8/22/2020 at 10:34 AM, WholeNewWorld said:

LOL Oceania gives everyone a tablet to use on board.  Most people could not figure that out-and really REALLY struggled to communicate with family via any technology.  I wonder if an app could be an option for cruisers.  IDK Im not smart enough to figure out the answers, I just felt really bad for the older generation that struggled for 6 months.  😞

BREAKING NEWS...FLASH...     the perception that  us older folks  are struggling is only in the eyes of the younger folks.     We are all just happy and getting along just fine without embracing  all the techno hype that many feel is the only answer to life.  Some just can not function  without techno and can not imagine someone who can... which is sad indeed. 

To paraphrase Mark Twain, "  News of our demise is greatly over stated"

Edited by Hawaiidan

20 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

BREAKING NEWS...FLASH...     the perception that  us older folks  are struggling is only in the eyes of the younger folks.     We are all just happy and getting along just fine without embracing  all the techno hype that many feel is the only answer to life.  Some just can not function  without techno and can not imagine someone who can... which is sad indeed. 

To paraphrase Mark Twain, "  News of our demise is greatly over stated"

So true.  What's with this "older folks" stuff anyway?  It makes us sound ancient. We don't feel we have reached that status yet, as we're only in our mid-70's.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

For me, having information on the app is a huge convenience, but it doesn't have to be a requirement to use the app. It's a great way to quickly look up information.  Some of the ship apps also have a chat feature which is very nice to connect with other cruisers.   Also, it's nice to bring up the daily schedule when I'm walking around the ship. I can't remember all the times and locations for events.