Where was I?

33 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

The timeball tower is at the end of Point Gellibrand. Williamstown is mostly on that point.

The idea was that the ball would drop at 1pm local time. This allowed the ships to set one chronometer to local time, with another always set at Greenwich time. Then used for more precise navigation.

The Williamstown one was repaired some years ago and is still operated on occasions.

It is a place I pass often on my walks.

Looks like a lovely place to walk.  I wonder if it is operated on Australia Day.  I try to stay in Melbourne for Australia Day and keep it free from tennis, because I enjoy Melbourne's Australia Day celebrations.

Hope you are making good progress with your recovery. 

Edited by MMDown Under

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Thanks for the info on the drop. I knew it dropped at 1PM to check their clock but I always wondered why it wasn't mid-day.

This is an other interesting article about the Time Ball Tower.

Lighthouse and Time Ball Tower

This the wikipedia entry for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamstown_Lighthouse

Leigh

• Like 1

While talking of Time Ball Towers , there is another that anyone who has cruised into Lyttleton will have seen . It was destroyed in the earthquake and since been rebuilt as part of the rebuild of Christchurch .

I remember reading at the time that the Captain of one of the luxury cruise ships was docked and theCaptain was on the bridge talking to his head office as the quake hit and he described the scene as the tower crumbled .

D5DE6B47-68AE-4E27-AC64-3504CD9E4FED.thumb.jpeg.60f786c263d09193f5c900a3bfa531ce.jpeg

8424CB8C-8622-4738-B603-629622C6968E.jpeg.c9286ee7e7ebdd7bce25e1909f23e315.jpeg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

While talking of Time Ball Towers , there is another that anyone who has cruised into Lyttleton will have seen . It was destroyed in the earthquake and since been rebuilt as part of the rebuild of Christchurch .

I remember reading at the time that the Captain of one of the luxury cruise ships was docked and theCaptain was on the bridge talking to his head office as the quake hit and he described the scene as the tower crumbled .

D5DE6B47-68AE-4E27-AC64-3504CD9E4FED.thumb.jpeg.60f786c263d09193f5c900a3bfa531ce.jpeg

8424CB8C-8622-4738-B603-629622C6968E.jpeg.c9286ee7e7ebdd7bce25e1909f23e315.jpeg

Thank you for that David..... glad they rebuilt it.....

It is good to see how one photo  can generate lots of interest......

Cheers Don

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

The person who recommended Williamstown to me did a day trip by ferry.  

This is the ferry I took from the city to Williamstown.  (bayandrivercuises.com.au)

I preferred this over other operators as the vessel has a nice outside seating area - with the other boats on the river you could only sit inside (if you're lucky with open windows). Not very conducive to taking lots of photos on a beautiful Melbourne day in February 😉RX023670.thumb.JPG.bf39655bb0c4f8f3b9917fa64f0272d0.JPG

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Thank you for that David..... glad they rebuilt it.....

It is good to see how one photo  can generate lots of interest......

Cheers Don

I am amazed at that. It was really a kind of stop-gap image that I posted as I was using my tablet (prior to heading out) and only had a limited amount of photos on there to choose from. Didn't want to hold things up until I came back a couple of hours later ...

But I just realised that we still have not 'located' Leigh's photo from this morning. I personally have no idea 🙁

Edited by boeckli

12 minutes ago, boeckli said:

This is the ferry I took from the city to Williamstown.  (bayandrivercuises.com.au)

I preferred this over other operators as the vessel has a nice outside seating area - with the other boats on the river you could only sit inside (if you're lucky with open windows). Not very conducive to taking lots of photos on a beautiful Melbourne day in February 😉RX023670.thumb.JPG.bf39655bb0c4f8f3b9917fa64f0272d0.JPG

Thank you.  I look forward to taking that ferry.

35 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That was a good guess.  We have stayed at a CWA Cottage on the hill, with a similiar beautiful view. 

It was such a wonderful view looking out over Airlie Beach and Airlie Bay but trees kept getting in the way. 😀

Leigh

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:Tian Tan Buddha (the Giant Buddha). Lantau Island, Hong Kong

MiC,  your  turn  

Remember that from post qm2 stay 2017., i lived in hk as a kid, about 1955 to 1958, Tiger Balm Gardens are gonzo.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That was a good guess.  We have stayed at a CWA Cottage on the hill, with a similiar beautiful view. 

Oh no not ye olde CWA, scones supplied, no booze?

Edited by NSWP

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Oh no not ye olde CWA, scones supplied, no booze?

No, just self contained cottage.  I have stayed in CWA cottages along the Qld. Coast.  For scones, jam and cream, you need to go to the shows, but no shows this year.

40 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

No, just self contained cottage.  I have stayed in CWA cottages along the Qld. Coast.  For scones, jam and cream, you need to go to the shows, but no shows this year.

CWA is big down here, they even do catering for funerals etc, great job they do those ladies.