Jump to content

Where in the world ?


Recommended Posts

I found it humorous that when I did a Goggle Maps search including the name of the port shown in @sfred's latest photo, the first hit it returned was the location of our local Walmart Supercenter store. After puzzling over that for a bit, I figured out that was because of a certain brand of automobile tires sold there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I found it humorous that when I did a Goggle Maps search including the name of the port shown in @sfred's latest photo, the first hit it returned was the location of our local Walmart Supercenter store. After puzzling over that for a bit, I figured out that was because of a certain brand of automobile tires sold there.

OK. Now I got it.

 

The Bay Bridge in downtown Michelin.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yaldi said:

Though l have never been to Japan, a few clues to lead me to suggest Yokohama.

 

10 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

The Bay Bridge in downtown Michelin.

 

Yokohama is correct @Yaldi.  Although Michelin is perhaps even better 😄.

 

The photo was taken on embarkation day, 6 May 2019, at the beginning of our QE voyage to Alaska.  The Yokohama Bay Bridge just ahead of QE has a clearance of 55 meters, a little too low for QE's air draft of 56.6 meters.  So QE was using the Daikoku terminal, across the bay from the more typical cruise terminal at Osanbashi.  There are two other cruise ships visible at Osanbashi, at the left of the photo beyond the bridge. 

 

There are two clues in the photo which are unique to QE.  The photo was taken from the grills terrace on deck 11 (we were in PG for the voyage), and the glass roof over the deck 9 garden lounge is visible just below.  QE's garden lounge roof has a different shape to QV, and was never retractable.  Also further forward, the large sized  chess pieces are just visible on the raised deck over the Yacht club.  QV's Yacht club roof doesn't have a chess board.

 

It was a pleasantly warm early summer day for beginning our voyage.  Earlier that morning we had a beautiful sunrise over the city of Tokyo, which I had posted in the Daily Sunrise Photo thread. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops - my bad.  I don't remember seeing that on QV, but your photo proves otherwise.  Thanks - I'll remove the chess board from my list of QE/QV differences.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I suppose it’s possible it’s been removed. It’s been a couple of years since I was on QV.

That is what I was wondering - my photos from QV also show the board, but I was last on her prior to the 2017 refurbishment, so I do not know everything that was changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

That is what I was wondering - my photos from QV also show the board, but I was last on her prior to the 2017 refurbishment, so I do not know everything that was changed.

 The board was still there on 28th March 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Somehow the idea had gotten into my head that QV's different forward games area on deck 11 extended also to the chess board.  Sorry everyone, thanks for the corrections.  I could try the excuse that QV is the Cunard ship I've been on the least, but it is also the ship I've been on the most recently in February 2020, so I should've been more observant

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, carlmm said:

My visit to this new port was not with Cunard but I am pretty sure Cunard ships have been here.

 

 

Quest N 9.JPG

 

Well, I surprised myself on figuring this one out. At least I think I've figured it out. It hasn't been a port of call for the current Cunard fleet, but it was on several QE2 itineraries, so this definitely qualifies as a Cunard port. That's in addition to the time QE2 was requisitioned to send troops here in anger in 1982.

 

I think what we are seeing here is Stanley (aka Port Stanley), Falkland Islands. I think this photo was taken from the site of the 1914 Battle of the Falkland Islands Memorial.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

 

Well, I surprised myself on figuring this one out. At least I think I've figured it out. It hasn't been a port of call for the current Cunard fleet, but it was on several QE2 itineraries, so this definitely qualifies as a Cunard port. That's in addition to the time QE2 was requisitioned to send troops here in anger in 1982.

 

I think what we are seeing here is Stanley (aka Port Stanley), Falkland Islands. I think this photo was taken from the site of the 1914 Battle of the Falkland Islands Memorial.

 

Correct in all points!

 

On a sad but still proud note, the Cunard Countess carried widows of men killed in the Falkland war to Port Stanley.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 4:06 PM, carlmm said:

This picture of a new port includes just a tiny little bit of the Cunard ship in question.

Quest N 10 (3).JPG

 

There's a lot to work with in this photo, but for some reason it turned out to be more of a struggle to identify this port than I was expecting.

 

I think this one is Marseille, France.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

There's a lot to work with in this photo, but for some reason it turned out to be more of a struggle to identify this port than I was expecting.

 

I think this one is Marseille, France.

 

I was looking in the entirely wrong hemisphere!  From what I could make of the white and blue sign over the toilet block at the end of the pier, it looked somewhat like asian language characters in @carlmm's photo.  The writings on the bus weren't discernable to confirm or deny.

 

What in the photo led you to Marseille @bluemarble?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sfred said:

I was looking in the entirely wrong hemisphere!  From what I could make of the white and blue sign over the toilet block at the end of the pier, it looked somewhat like asian language characters in @carlmm's photo.  The writings on the bus weren't discernable to confirm or deny.

 

What in the photo led you to Marseille @bluemarble?

 

I was thinking of mentioning we must have already seen this port because of your earlier photo of Kangaroo Island since that's the most likely place to see a sign that says "HOPPING". OK, very bad joke!

 

This photo does give the impression of a warm climate port. And it's at least a mid-sized city. The port facility is suggestive of that and it's possible to make out what appear to be some reasonably large buildings through the background haze.

 

I started looking at larger Caribbean ports we haven't seen yet, especially San Juan, Puerto Rico. That would have been fitting as another port name pair with Saint John, New Brunswick. Then I looked at some of the Canary Island ports that have been conspicuously absent from this thread so far. But of course that got me nowhere. After that it becomes mostly trail-and-error looking through itineraries for other ports we haven't seen yet that fit those limited clues, hoping it's a port for one of the current Cunard ships since this photo doesn't tell us which ship it is.

 

I wasn't convinced I was going to find this one after the better part of two days working on it. I think I had taken a quick look at Marseille yesterday without finding a match. But then when I gave it a closer look today, I found an excellent match and that was the "aha" moment. So in retrospect, I suppose this one did involve an appropriate amount of struggle after all.

 

Another photo I've subsequently found provides a slightly larger view of the sign on that toilet building. I'm not certain, but it looks to me like it simply says "OSO" or possibly "050". Nothing Asian, I'm afraid.

 

I spent more time than I should have trying in vain to decipher the writing on the bus. After the fact, I still can't find a Marseille bus company that matches the bus in the photo. I was hoping to be able to show off by mentioning what the writing on that bus says.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @bluemarble.  I was wondering if I had missed some French sign, building, monument, or other prominent landmark.  I was following a similar process to yours, except that I was looking at Asian ports   Obviously none fit.  The blue toilet block sign, that I thought was Chinese/Korean/Japanese, had sent me "hopping off" in the wrong direction.  😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bluemarble said:

 

There's a lot to work with in this photo, but for some reason it turned out to be more of a struggle to identify this port than I was expecting.

 

I think this one is Marseille, France.

 

Yes, correct. I have no closer view of Marseille from this cruise as I regard this port as one of the worst ports for people who want to explore on their own. I just stayed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sfred said:

What in the photo led you to Marseille @bluemarble?

 

 

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

 

I was thinking of mentioning we must have already seen this port because of your earlier photo of Kangaroo Island since that's the most likely place to see a sign that says "HOPPING". OK, very bad joke!

 

This photo does give the impression of a warm climate port. And it's at least a mid-sized city. The port facility is suggestive of that and it's possible to make out what appear to be some reasonably large buildings through the background haze.

 

I started looking at larger Caribbean ports we haven't seen yet, especially San Juan, Puerto Rico. That would have been fitting as another port name pair with Saint John, New Brunswick. Then I looked at some of the Canary Island ports that have been conspicuously absent from this thread so far. But of course that got me nowhere. After that it becomes mostly trail-and-error looking through itineraries for other ports we haven't seen yet that fit those limited clues, hoping it's a port for one of the current Cunard ships since this photo doesn't tell us which ship it is.

 

I wasn't convinced I was going to find this one after the better part of two days working on it. I think I had taken a quick look at Marseille yesterday without finding a match. But then when I gave it a closer look today, I found an excellent match and that was the "aha" moment. So in retrospect, I suppose this one did involve an appropriate amount of struggle after all.

 

Another photo I've subsequently found provides a slightly larger view of the sign on that toilet building. I'm not certain, but it looks to me like it simply says "OSO" or possibly "050". Nothing Asian, I'm afraid.

 

I spent more time than I should have trying in vain to decipher the writing on the bus. After the fact, I still can't find a Marseille bus company that matches the bus in the photo. I was hoping to be able to show off by mentioning what the writing on that bus says.

 

Thank you for this. I really like to follow the stream of thought of you fellows on this thread. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone is wondering if they might have photos of Cunard ports we haven't seen yet on this thread, I'll offer the following suggestions for additional port photo contributions.

 

1) There are two "Alaska" ports we haven't seen here yet (which aren't actually in Alaska).

 

2) There are two very popular Spanish ports I don't think we've seen here yet (which aren't in Iberia).

 

3) We are missing one of the world's largest cities which also happens to be on my "Top 20" list of most visited ports by the current Cunard fleet.

 

Attached for reference is my updated list of the Cunard ports/destinations whose images we've seen so far on this thread.

 

Where in the World 2021-02-20.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a contribution for one of the missing "Alaska" ports.  It doesn't show QE while in port, nor was it taken from QE, which is why I haven't posted it before now.  But it was taken on our wander of the town that day.  It was a stunningly clear and pleasant day, which showed the port off extremely well.  There should be enough in the photo to easily ID the port.  Perhaps someone else has a photo of QE there?

 

image.thumb.png.3de3596ddc0ae7a922133666424607cf.png

 

Edited by sfred
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes, that's a good one @sfred. The pub photo you first posted before editing it to show this photo instead was also a good one, although this is probably a more well-known landmark. It wouldn't be cricket for me to identify this port after suggesting it. I'll leave that for someone else. I do appreciate the contribution to keep this thread going a bit longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sfred said:

Here's a contribution for one of the missing "Alaska" ports.  It doesn't show QE while in port, nor was it taken from QE, which is why I haven't posted it before now.  But it was taken on our wander of the town that day.  It was a stunningly clear and pleasant day, which showed the port off extremely well.  There should be enough in the photo to easily ID the port.  Perhaps someone else has a photo of QE there?

 

 

 

 

I thought I had  a better photo of the QE in this port, but this will have to do.

P1040277.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sfred said:

Here's a contribution for one of the missing "Alaska" ports.  It doesn't show QE while in port, nor was it taken from QE, which is why I haven't posted it before now.  But it was taken on our wander of the town that day.  It was a stunningly clear and pleasant day, which showed the port off extremely well.  There should be enough in the photo to easily ID the port.  Perhaps someone else has a photo of QE there?

 

image.thumb.png.3de3596ddc0ae7a922133666424607cf.png

 

 

12 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

 

I thought I had  a better photo of the QE in this port, but this will have to do.

P1040277.JPG

 

I go with Victoria, Canada.

 

Quite a stately landmark!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...