Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 9/8/2020 at 1:30 AM, bluemarble said:

Here's an old Cunard bridge webcam image captured 7-8 years ago. For full points, name the port, name both ships, and provide the date of the image.

image.png.0ca6c656b0353a8bf211f1e87e5a0b37.png

It's 1:30am where I am, so I'm off to bed. It will be a few hours until I can provide any feedback on your answers.

On 9/8/2020 at 4:02 AM, bluemarble said:

That's correct.

Full marks for getting all the details.

Here's a different "ABC7" webcam image showing some of the events later that evening.

image.png.19d7f65dbee066d878cb5c4f8cc74bd2.png

@Colin_Cameron, I think we've seen Queen Mary on this thread before, but I can certainly understand how that would have been overlooked. Here are my pathetic posts of webcam images showing Queen Mary at Long Beach (if you squint hard enough). Your photos are a definite improvement though, that's for sure.

I will now take it as an academic exercise for later this evening to see what list I can come up with of the Cunard ships we have seen on this thread so far.

7 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

By my reckoning we’ve seen eleven Cunard ships in this thread so far. Can anyone contribute a twelfth? 

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

... I will now take it as an academic exercise for later this evening to see what list I can come up with of the Cunard ships we have seen on this thread so far.

OK, here's the list (in alphabetical order) I've come up with of the Cunard ships we've seen on this thread so far. This does leave plenty of room for photos of several other ships that were in service for Cunard at least into the 1990's. Unfortunately I can't contribute any others.

Caronia / Vistafjord

Cunard Crown Dynasty

Cunard Princess

Queen Elizabeth (current)

Queen Elizabeth (previous)

Queen Elizabeth 2

Queen Mary

Queen Mary 2

Queen Victoria

Royal Viking Sun

Sagafjord

Sea Goddess II

11 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think we've seen Queen Mary on this thread before, ...

Oops! Sorry about that

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

OK, here's the list (in alphabetical order) I've come up with of the Cunard ships we've seen on this thread so far. This does leave plenty of room for photos of several other ships that were in service for Cunard at least into the 1990's. Unfortunately I can't contribute any others.

Caronia / Vistafjord

Cunard Crown Dynasty

Cunard Princess

Queen Elizabeth 2

Queen Mary

Queen Mary 2

Queen Victoria

Royal Viking Sun

Sagafjord

Sea Goddess II

Apart from my Queen Mary blunder, that's the same list I came up with.

Don't you think some people are just too good at this game?

If I tell you that this is a new port then I think that's enough for at least one person (no names😄) to identify the unseen port.

019.jpg

Edited by Colin_Cameron
typo

5 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Don't you think some people are just too good at this game?

If I tell you that this is a new port then I think that's enough for at least one person (no names😄) to identify the unseen port.

019.jpg

Santa Cruz de Tenerife?

Here's my logic.

1) I can't find any other photos of Caronia flying that pennant except for your previous photo of Caronia at La Gomera.

2) I don't have complete Caronia itineraries, but from what I have there is only one call to La Gomera on 1 Nov 2003.

3) The only port we haven't seen yet from that Oct-Nov 2003 Caronia cruise is the call to Santa Cruz de Tenerife one day earlier on 31 Oct 2003.

4) Santa Cruz de Tenerife is one of the two popular Spanish ports not in Iberia we haven't see yet on this thread that I have been hinting about in previous posts.

How did I do with that forensic analysis?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

How did I do with that forensic analysis?

Well, your logic was fine but you could have been led astray by partial information.

The clue in the photo was indeed the pennant. That was Caronia’s ‘Paying Off Pennant’ which should have led you to her farewell  voyage, 20th Oct - 1st Nov 2004. Having posted La Gomera the other day there was only one other unseen port left from that cruise. So, again, impeccable logic. 

It it will come as no surprise, given the part of the world involved, that despite referring to the wrong itinerary, you still came up with the right answer.

Well done.

• Like 1

Thanks @Colin_Cameron. Glad to hear I stumbled onto the correct answer even if I had the wrong voyage. My next question was going to be what that pennant was all about. That explains it. I should have figured out that was a paying off pennant. I actually just learned about paying off pennants for the first time while I was attempting to identify that pennant in your photo. Duh!

I apparently have incorrect itinerary details for Caronia's final voyage. Here's what I had found online as the itinerary for the 20th Oct - 1st Nov 2004 voyage. No La Gomera. Perhaps you would be so kind as to correct it for me? Did you call at La Gomera rather than Fuerteventura?

20 Oct 2004:  Southampton, England

21 Oct 2004:  At Sea

22 Oct 2004:  Vigo, Spain

23 Oct 2004:  At Sea

24 Oct 2004:  Funchal, Madeira

25 Oct 2004:  Arrecife de Lanzarote, Canary Islands

26 Oct 2004:  Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands

27 Oct 2004:  Fuerteventura, Canary Islands

28 Oct 2004:  At Sea

29 Oct 2004:  Lisbon, Portugal

30 Oct 2004:  At Sea

31 Oct 2004:  At Sea

01 Nov 2004:  Southampton, England

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Did you call at La Gomera rather than Fuerteventura?

20 Oct 2004:  Southampton, England

21 Oct 2004:  At Sea

22 Oct 2004:  Vigo, Spain

23 Oct 2004:  At Sea

24 Oct 2004:  Funchal, Madeira

25 Oct 2004:  Arrecife de Lanzarote, Canary Islands

26 Oct 2004:  Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands

27 Oct 2004:  Fuerteventura, Canary Islands

28 Oct 2004:  At Sea

29 Oct 2004:  Lisbon, Portugal

30 Oct 2004:  At Sea

31 Oct 2004:  At Sea

01 Nov 2004:  Southampton, England

We did. But I don't remember it as a change of plan. Need to dig out the paperwork.

No Vigo either. I remember missing Vigo because of the weather but had forgotten that it was this cruise. There was also some doubt over whether we (and QM2) would make it into Lisbon, as QE2 cancelled her call (on 27th. or 28th.), but we made it OK.

All in all quite a bumpy cruise. I remember having to call the nurse at one point and when I opened the cabin door she was on her knees in the corridor because she couldn't stand up!

I think all the Caronia clips in this compilation came from this cruise. As usual, the best (worst) bits were when the camera wasn't running.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Another new port.

Although this was taken from an ex-Cunard ship it has been visited by at least one of the current ships.

DSC04019.JPG

I have not visited this port, but I'm pretty sure @carlmm has been here, I know @Essiesmom has, and @sfred mentioned it here during our sea level game, so I better not dawdle submitting my answer.

I'm getting a match to the waterfront of Manaus, Brazil for this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I have not visited this port, but I'm pretty sure @carlmm has been here, I know @Essiesmom has, and @sfred mentioned it here during our sea level game, so I better not dawdle submitting my answer.

I'm getting a match to the waterfront of Manaus, Brazil for this one.

A very nice view, being so far above "sea level"!  🙂

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 1:53 AM, bluemarble said:

Caronia / Vistafjord

Cunard Crown Dynasty

Cunard Princess

Queen Elizabeth 2

Queen Mary

Queen Mary 2

Queen Victoria

Royal Viking Sun

Sagafjord

Sea Goddess II

Well here comes Lucky thirteen, my first experience of Cunard back in 1990, Cunard Countess at Barbados...

223622961_RichardatBarbadosAugust1990.thumb.jpg.3eddacacef660043cf11a550f4393beb.jpg

and the ports allude me for the next two...

262709817_CunardCountessatStThomas1990.thumb.jpg.281e3597ca366dfea97d0f55d2afcf79.jpg

Barbara at St Thomas.jpg

In those days we didn't quibble over dress even on a fly-cruise...

201558394_FirstCruisePhoto.thumb.jpg.ef509fea735a6afde565c0765283c5ed.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

Well now I'm here I'll add one or two more from my collection of Cunard ships. That's with the caveat that I'm not going back 90 odd pages to check they've already been mentioned: Ive already been admonished for 'jumping the gun' over on the P&O pages World Cruise photograph pages.

Let's try Mauritius and Queen Victoria's visit in 2019 to  Port Louis. These were taken from Fort Adelaide looking down the harbour, first the distant view...

1347808276_FortAdelaideMauritius3Shipview.jpg.a0be28e87254962990090ec839c68a68.jpg

...and with a little bit of zoom...

891260447_FortAdelaideMauritius4Shipviewzoom.jpg.ceda8c8b82129a0dc2cfc78403a23eee.jpg

And Fort Adelaide, as seen from the deck of Queen Victoria...

531481546_FortAdelaideMauritius8DistanceviewPortrait.jpg.4b980f5af92fc5ce7a30d01da84c32bd.jpg

...and again, a little bit of zoom....

1655408136_FortAdelaideMauritius7Distanceview.jpg.7d2c52db4cfa1dfd454d7d3d0f455b96.jpg

Not one to be totally locked into Cunard - I take the view that there is a cruising world out there- it's still been fun observing and recording the Queens while on other cruise lines.

This one was taken at Rhodes as Queen Victoria approached in 2012 ...

1009160635_QueenElizabethenteringRhodesTown2012.jpg.f1c2e8775d565f7b25c32a08102f26f3.jpg

No prizes for guessing our floating home at that time...

226295_Rhodes2012OceaniaNautica2.jpg.4a5cfaf180a1c5ef3920b3c0d1586664.jpg

And we bumped into Queen Victoria again in 2014 on a visit to Kusadasi...

1651919629_CruiseShipberths3.jpg.c1e06a55fe2a81227fe2fd127a94310d.jpg

This time we were sailing with Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2...

1392290495_BarbaraonDeckOriginal3290.jpg.d03ec48d87152444b2af9d430001b2ab.jpg

...though we didn't waste any time in meeting up with one very important Cunard acquaintance 😂 ...

1547176669_BarbaraandDragana.JPG.e11bdd61a722946551061bd8ecee5188.JPG

Edited by Solent Richard

Thanks for joining our game @Solent Richard. Lucky thirteen it is now for the Cunard ships seen on this thread. And Port Louis, Mauritius is a new port to add to our growing list.

We'd love to have you post photos without identifying the port so we can try to figure out which ports they are. But that may require you to disguise some of the names of the files before you attach them. For example, the two additional photos of Cunard Countess (where you did not mention the port in your post) include "St Thomas" in their file names. So that's a giveaway.

Pending identification of @carlmm's latest port photo, here is the list I have compiled of the ports and destinations we have seen on this thread so far, including your contribution of Port Louis, Mauritius. That way you don't need to go back through all the previous 90+ pages to see if you have a new port to contribute. I have no doubt you can add photos of more Cunard ports not already seen on this thread, whether taken from a Cunard ship or not.

Where in the World 2021-03-09.txt

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Thanks for joining our game @Solent Richard. Lucky thirteen it is now for the Cunard ships seen on this thread. And Port Louis, Mauritius is a new port to add to our growing list.

We'd love to have you post photos without identifying the port so we can try to figure out which ports they are. But that may require you to disguise some of the names of the files before you attach them. For example, the two additional photos of Cunard Countess (where you did not mention the port in your post) include "St Thomas" in their file names. So that's a giveaway.

Pending identification of @carlmm's latest port photo, here is the list I have compiled of the ports and destinations we have seen on this thread so far, including your contribution of Port Louis, Mauritius. That way you don't need to go back through all the previous 90+ pages to see if you have a new port to contribute. I have no doubt you can add photos of more Cunard ports not already seen on this thread, whether taken from a Cunard ship or not.

Where in the World 2021-03-09.txt 4.94 kB · 0 downloads

I did say earlier I was admonished over on the P&O pages. So now I get two. 

So thanks for the list, there's currently not enough hours in the day for me at the moment. Any time saver is appreciated.

Please  Sir 😁, I was being a little careful. I realised that both were captioned 'St Thomas' but in matter of fact they are different and me being me I didn't want some SA correcting me.

I'll try harder, I promise. 😅 

Edited by Solent Richard

4 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

I did say earlier I was admonished over on the P&O pages. So now I get two. ...

Oh dear, I hope I didn't actually come across as admonishing you with my reply. You vastly outrank me in every aspect of the cruising experience and I warmly welcome whatever you can contribute to this thread. No admonishment intended, I assure you.

9 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Oh dear, I hope I didn't actually come across as admonishing you with my reply. You vastly outrank me in every aspect of the cruising experience and I warmly welcome whatever you can contribute to this thread. No admonishment intended, I assure you.

Hey Bluemarble, and no offence taken.I did throw in a few smileys. 

As you've probably guessed, I've spent my life being admonished and enjoyed every moment: kind of the cruising world's L'infant Terrible.

Anyway, can I post this one please, it's not on your list...

DSC_2585.JPG.c39782c7f45aeb5baad5fd81ce527a26.JPG

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Hey Bluemarble, and no offence taken.I did throw in a few smileys. 

As you've probably guessed, I've spent my life being admonished and enjoyed every moment: kind of the cruising world's L'infant Terrible.

I think I've found this one. I thought it looked familiar from when I was searching images of just about every port imaginable trying unsuccessfully to match red and white striped cranes similar to the ones at the right of this photo that were shown in an entirely different port's photo here a couple weeks ago. It looks like the time I spent back then concentrating on Asia ports when I should have been looking at South America ports may have paid off in the end.

I think this port photo is showing Colombo, Sri Lanka.

3 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Oh no!  More red and white striped container cranes!  🙂  I'm already half-blind from the search for @carlmm's photo.  Thanks @bluemarble for savng my diminishing eyesight and finding Colombo.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think I've found this one. I thought it looked familiar from when I was searching images of just about every port imaginable trying unsuccessfully to match red and white striped cranes similar to the ones at the right of this photo that were shown in an entirely different port's photo here a couple weeks ago. It looks like the time I spent back then concentrating on Asia ports when I should have been looking at South America ports may have paid off in the end.

I think this port photo is showing Colombo, Sri Lanka.

YES, well done Sir. Taken on Queen Victoria's arrival at Colombo on 28 March 2019.

My first visit there and what an excellent day we had...

779615711_SeemaMalakayaLakeTemple1.jpg.f3f6df895b4669159179c430deba6410.jpg

1660738965_IndependenceSquare3MemorialHall.jpg.67fe3c54e439c22f92a8da0ae0d44a17.jpg