Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

9 hours ago, sfred said:

Excellent, thanks @North West Newbie.  That would be Port Kelang  (also spelled Port Klang), Malaysia.  The building at the far left of the photo is the Boustead Cruise Center.

I've been to Malaysia a lot for work, but always to KL and JB (Kuala Lumpur and Johor Bahru).  It is one of my favourite countries.  Maybe one day I'll get there on Cunard.

@bluemarbleI really wish I could contribute photos for Shanghai and Bay of Islands.  I've been to Shanghai on QM2 in 2017 and Bay of Islands on QE in 2015, but not a single photo to prove it.  I'll ask the wife to look again in her phone.  Sometimes things magically turn up.

Well done @sfred. QM2 called there on Palm Sunday in 2017, April 9th. Here is a wider shot of the Boustead Cruise Centre building.

1132352748_WhereintheWorld2.thumb.JPG.bae103c1ccc84980bdbcacf87eb7fd02.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Here is one of your missing ports, though not a Cunard ship...

enhance

Monday morning, a bright new summer day here in Australia.  This one is Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Canary Islands.  The Canary Islands are a good pub trivia question, being named for dogs, not birds.

Canary Islands CoA.svg

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 8:42 PM, Essiesmom said:

And this is another, though it has been 19 years since this was taken...

enhance

enhance

On 3/28/2021 at 1:15 AM, sfred said:

Thanks @Essiesmom.  Good photos.  I've already guessed one for today (Port Klang) so I'll let another person have a chance.

Meantime, I nagged (encouraged!) the wife to have another look through her phone, and we found this picture.  Not of, or from, a Cunard ship, but at least we found a picture with a nautical theme.

image.thumb.png.b28c4ded264836d281f6cf0b8a57e6eb.png

As a reminder, we still have these two ports from Essiesmom and sfred to identify. I'll go ahead and identify sfred's photo later today if no one else wants to give it a go.

On 3/28/2021 at 8:15 AM, sfred said:

image.thumb.png.b28c4ded264836d281f6cf0b8a57e6eb.png

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

As a reminder, we still have these two ports from Essiesmom and sfred to identify. I'll go ahead and identify sfred's photo later today if no one else wants to give it a go.

My answer would start with an "S". Is it the same direction as yours, @bluemarble?

2 hours ago, carlmm said:

My answer would start with an "S". Is it the same direction as yours, @bluemarble?

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, that's where I'm headed. A google image search for "s______ dolphin garden" yields matches to @sfred's photo.

Aha, so a large dolphin shaped bush near the garden bridge on the Puxi side of Shanghai China?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North West Newbie said:

Indeed.  Well done @North West Newbie, @carlmm and @bluemarble.  Photo taken on QM2's port call to Shanghai China on 29 March 2017.  The nautical-themed topiary is in the park adjacent to the historic Waibaidu bridge at the northern end of the Bund.  The building in the background is the Broadway Mansions Hotel, built in 1934 as an apartment building.  Unfortunately we don't have any photos of QM2 on the day. 

2 hours ago, sfred said:

Indeed.  Well done @North West Newbie, @carlmm and @bluemarble.  Photo taken on QM2's port call to Shanghai China on 29 March 2017.  The nautical-themed topiary is in the park adjacent to the historic Waibaidu bridge at the northern end of the Bund.  The building in the background is the Broadway Mansions Hotel, built in 1934 as an apartment building.  Unfortunately we don't have any photos of QM2 on the day. 

That hotel was called the Shanghai Mansions Hotel when I stayed in it in 1983.  I figured it would be long gone.  EM

Since we are so close to 100 pages on this thread, how about some more suggestions for Cunard ports we haven't seen on this thread yet? Two first two are carry-overs from my previous suggestions. The rest I think will take care of the most-visited Cunard ports we haven't seen here through 150th place.

San Francisco, California
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Cochin, India
Fort de France, Martinique
Penang, Malaysia
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Split, Croatia
Cephalonia, Greece
Phuket, Thailand
Apia, Western Samoa
Darwin, Australia

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 3:54 PM, bluemarble said:

Perhaps it's time for some more specific suggestions on Cunard ports we haven't seen here yet. Not wanting this thread to end quite yet, these are the ports on my list of the top 100 most visited ports by the current Cunard fleet that we haven't seen here yet.

#27 - Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Canary Islands

#71 - San Francisco, California

#81 - Shanghai, China

#88 - Port Kelang, Malaysia

#99 (tie) - Bay of Islands, New Zealand

#99 (tie) - Laem Chabang, Thailand

Contributions showing any of these ports would be great. I promise I won't guess any of them. 🙂

Of course photos of any other Cunard ports we haven't seen here are most welcome as well.

Hope I'm not too late with a small threesome contribution from Port Kelang...

703109332_DSC_2474copy.thumb.jpg.6c956557318d2f41cb43fc8e10ff8b09.jpg

1349897003_DSC_2150copy.jpg.0babe3e963febd1fd73be1cc158192f2.jpg

1731341820_DSC_2473copy.thumb.jpg.ad92b485b6763bde12c9a88269d173c1.jpg

No prizes for guessing the ship. 😃

On 3/31/2021 at 3:14 PM, bluemarble said:

Since we are so close to 100 pages on this thread, how about some more suggestions for Cunard ports we haven't seen on this thread yet? Two first two are carry-overs from my previous suggestions. The rest I think will take care of the most-visited Cunard ports we haven't seen here through 150th place.

San Francisco, California
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Cochin, India
Fort de France, Martinique
Penang, Malaysia
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Split, Croatia
Cephalonia, Greece
Phuket, Thailand
Apia, Western Samoa
Darwin, Australia

Good morning BlueMarble.

I can certainly help you with Darwin, Australia...

315329759_StokesHillWharffromQM2.thumb.jpg.d444ca1015c02711cef89e8bf4910e68.jpg

748722449_BandRwitnessQM2arrival.thumb.jpg.c536aa0ef356517107f80ccaf7d5c153.jpg

1250116333_DarwinBandREsplanadefromQM2.thumb.jpg.dfbad21b0d8ae66db8daed89c61034d2.jpg

1053344107_AQueenandthreePrincesses.thumb.jpg.1417775258fb63c71abd473ce937d1b8.jpg

• Like 1

You may indeed ask what on earth that furry thing top left of the second photograph might be? It was the Mike of the local ABC Radio and TV company who later invited us back to their studio for a full programme interview on Queen Mary 2 ...

1599797939_ABCRadiostudio.thumb.jpg.8085628f02df5feb011579cbb49c0208.jpg

All in the 'Line of Duty' of course. 😄😄

Hi everyone - I'm a lurker rather than a poster, but have enjoyed this thread, so here are a few images from the 'missing' ports of call. Photos taken from Cunard, Seabourn and Oceania cruises (so hope these still count). Never posted photos before - so trust these work! Happy guessing (but probably not too challenging).

IMG_9820.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_5757.JPG

IMG_4037.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Palmeat, glad to see you have joined our little game. Thank you so much for all of your port photo contributions. Following the past spirit of this game, I will identify only one of your port photos today, leaving the remaining photos to work on until tomorrow, in order to give others a chance to identify them.

IMG_9820.thumb.JPG.7d2dd70f51f4b04b5c4c3

This first photo of yours shows Queen Elizabeth in San Francisco, California.

Correct - it is Phuket taken from Oceania Nautica en route from Cape Town to Singapore in 2017. The 2nd photo down might be the trickiest as I've tried to exclude any landscape or port features - you guys are so hot at identifying local features!! 

6 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Correct - it is Phuket taken from Oceania Nautica en route from Cape Town to Singapore in 2017. The 2nd photo down might be the trickiest as I've tried to exclude any landscape or port features - you guys are so hot at identifying local features!! 

Interesting view. On the two occasions we've stopped at Phuket we've tendered off Patong. Hopefully next year we get to join a cruise running out of Phuket.

5 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Your second photo is a tricky one, but that's the kind of challenge I enjoy on this thread. Having a limited number of port suggestions to work from as a starting point does help considerably. Here is that photo again for reference.

IMG_1119.JPG.6dede6504c510fc3c0cc0dcaf92

The key to identifying this port was finding this similar photo posted here on Cruise Critic of all places.

queen-victoria-cunard-49721.jpg

The second photo is identified as Queen Victoria in the port of Apia, Samoa. Since the similarities are so striking, I'll venture to say your photo of Queen Elizabeth is showing the port of Apia, Samoa as well.

On 4/4/2021 at 9:02 AM, Palmeat said:

IMG_1578.JPG

I thought this one will be easy. Just enlarge the picture and read the sign on the building.

Well, "Free Moorings" narrowed things down considerably. 🤣

This is Bay of Islands, New Zealand