Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

58 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

The spoils go to Host Hattie for Salalah, Oman. Well done. Those cranes are very distinctive. I'll definitely need a clue for yours, Solent Richard!

Okay, this next one was also taken from the ship...

DSC_6110.jpg.d3ec50785e41618fa4e2a50a2a4c2715.jpg

...unlike this one being in the dark?...

DSCN1999.thumb.jpg.a67a138002b394784edcadf2e5d19ef3.jpg

FYI, in addition to Salalah, the other two photos from @Palmeat that haven't been identified yet are both Cunard ports. They are not frequent Cunard port calls by any means. One of them is a one-and-done port for the current Cunard fleet according to the itineraries I have, and for the other I had to go back to a voyage from the 1990's to find a call by a Cunard ship from the past. But they do both qualify as Cunard ports and will be added to our port list.

9 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I'm going to take a stab at Yokohama. I guess Costco wasn't there on my first visit (HMS Victorious) in 1964 but on later visits with P&O Oriana and Aurora could well have been a possibility.

Japan is a good guess, as it does have Costco stores, but this port and Costco is a different country.  I think the Cruisecritic board may have reduced the resolution of the original photo, so the clues might be a little too blurry to make out.  Here are enlargements of the red colour sign at the far right side of the original picture, which points to the entrance of the Costco tyre center, and also the sign over the entrance door..

image.png.8529d61a8fbf35d894ed756bc9eee265.png

image.png.6414a176c7d11c021fe6f1a691aaa382.png

Edited by sfred
  • Like 1

Thanks for the additional photo sfred. Mr Google tells me the language is Korean. Not sure how many 'Cunard' ports there are in S Korea - Incheon (for Seoul) and Busan - perhaps more? I know Busan is a regular port of call, so will plump for that. Getting warmer?

In the expectation that blue marble will imminently identify the last of my "yes, but is it a Cunard port?" offerings, here are three more to chew on. Bon chance.

IMG_5236.JPG

IMG_6681.JPG

Infinity Panama Canal 389.jpg

Edited by Palmeat

19 hours ago, Palmeat said:

IMG_1617.JPG

I think this one is Catania, Sicily.

What focused me specifically on Catania was finding an image of another truck trailer similar to the blue one in the foreground that was lettered "TE.MA. SRL CATANIA-SICILIA". From there everything fell into place finding matches to various buildings in this skyline.

This is the one-and-done port for the current Cunard fleet I mentioned in my previous reply. I'm only seeing one call to Catania, by QV in October 2014.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sfred said:

Japan is a good guess, as it does have Costco stores, but this port and Costco is a different country.  I think the Cruisecritic board may have reduced the resolution of the original photo, so the clues might be a little too blurry to make out.  Here are enlargements of the red colour sign at the far right side of the original picture, which points to the entrance of the Costco tyre center, and also the sign over the entrance door..

image.png.8529d61a8fbf35d894ed756bc9eee265.png

image.png.6414a176c7d11c021fe6f1a691aaa382.png

Aw shucks, I really thought I had that - especially when googling images of 'Cosco in Yokohama'. I guess the Asian Cosco stores all near enough share the same 'architect'. 😁

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

In the expectation that blue marble will imminently identify the last of my "yes, but is it a Cunard port?" offerings, here are three more to chew on. Bon chance.

IMG_6681.JPG

Safaga, stop off for excursions to Luxor...

1237905090_AproachingBerth.jpg.70e8ede07ac37cf1f24d792cf365e3ae.jpg

I recall I had an initial  problem spotting my private excursion driver 😁...

176584593_AproachingBerthspotthedriver.jpg.cc9d9458077a665fa0d97a60e484456c.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

Infinity Panama Canal 389.jpg

My money is on San Diego.

We spent a fabulous week in San Diego visiting my sister  and have not sailed there  on  a cruise. I confirmed the 'Star of India' with the help of google street maps...

537405759_SanDiegoStarofIndia.jpg.65cca210d3a5f081e8d399829ab21b39.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

17 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I think this one is Catania, Sicily.

What focused me specifically on Catania was finding an image of another truck trailer similar to the blue one in the foreground that was lettered "TE.MA. SRL CATANIA-SICILIA". From there everything fell into place finding matches to various buildings in this skyline.

This is the one-and-done port for the current Cunard fleet I mentioned in my previous reply. I'm only seeing one call to Catania, by QV in October 2014.

I looked at Catania last night (also Palermo, Messina, Genoa and several other places), also led to Italy by the Te.Ma. truck, but I initially didn't see a building match.  Looking again now, I see that the first dozen or so google photos in the "Catania cruise port" street view list are all of buildings aligned to the stern or bow of a ship docked at the cruise terminal, whereas the photo is off to the port or starboard side.  I had to go quite a ways down the list to find the match. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Thanks for the additional photo sfred. Mr Google tells me the language is Korean. Not sure how many 'Cunard' ports there are in S Korea - Incheon (for Seoul) and Busan - perhaps more? I know Busan is a regular port of call, so will plump for that. Getting warmer?

The language is indeed Korean.  You've already contributed Busan, so I thought I'd contribute Incheon (Seoul) Korea.  Photo taken on 27 March 2017, on a port day from QM2.

For those wondering why we went to Costco....    The itinerary for this Hong Kong to Hong Kong segment of QM2's 2017 world voyage changed several times between our booking day and departure day.  It was originally scheduled as HK-Keelung Taiwan - Shanghai - Jeju Korea - Busan - Nagasaki - Okinawa - Shanghai - HK.  Not long after booking, Cunard announced that Jeju and Okinawa would be cancelled due to port conditions, and Incheon would be substituted instead of Jeju.  The wife and I were a little disappointed, as we had never been to Jeju Island, but both of us had been to Seoul dozens of tmes for work.  So rather than sightseeing, we used the port day to visit a good friend and former business colleague who lives in Incheon, in the apartment tower visible in the distance beyond Costco.  We took the Incheon subway to the Central Park station of Songdo, and were walking down the street to my friend's place when we passed the Costco.  Being members in Australia, and with a Costco card getting you into any store worldwide, we stopped in for a quick look and a few photos.

By the way, Keelung (Taipei) Taiwan also did not occur on the voyage.  A few weeks before departure Cunard announced that they did not get China permission to sail directly between Keelung and Shanghai.  An extra sea day was substituted instead.

Edited by sfred

52 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Aw shucks, I really thought I had that - especially when googling images of 'Cosco in Yokohama'. I guess the Asian Cosco stores all near enough share the same 'architect'. 😁

You're not wrong there, @Solent Richard!  Most Costco stores around the world are pretty similar in layout and selection.  Inside this Incheon store, other than the prices being in Korean Won and the occasional Korea-specific item, we might have been in any Costco in the US, UK, or Australia.

We sure made quick work of @Palmeat's latest set of photos, didn't we? I'll identify the remaining photo from the previous set tomorrow if no one else figures that one out before then.

Safaga is definitely a Cunard port. All three of the current Cunard ships have called there.

San Diego qualifies as a Cunard port by virtue of a call by QE2 there in January 1992 which resulted in a large fine for violating the provisions of the PVSA. She was supposed to call at Ensenada but had to call at San Diego instead.

7 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

The first photograph is Dar es Salaam in Tanzania.

@Host Hattie, did you call at Dar es Salaam on a Cunard voyage? I'm having trouble finding any reference to Dar es Salaam being a Cunard Port.

While we are at it, early in this thread we had a photo of Seattle taken from Ruby Princess. I added Seattle to our port list thinking Cunard may have called there during earlier Alaska seasons. But now I'm having trouble finding any reference to Seattle ever being a Cunard port.

So, I'm inclined to not add Dar es Salaam to our Cunard port list and remove Seattle unless someone can provide evidence that either of those have been Cunard ports.

Crikey - you guys are chewing through my photos faster than I can post them! Dar Es Salaam is correct HH (but don't know if a Cunard ship has visited. Must have been one since Britannia in 1840!?😀). Catania and Safaga also correct - and good to see these have Cunard provenance. San Diego also correct.

Colin - that waterfront shot looks very familiar - and possibly dates back a few years? - but can't for the life of me remember. Nothing wrong with my memory - it's the retrieval system that's flawed!

Not sure if I still have any ports outstanding on the thread, but I'll need to make the next group more challenging! Here goes :-

IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_5830.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

Ah, I just found a reference to a Cunard cruise to Dar es Salaam in 1996.

"Cunard ...

Sea Goddess I ...

Dec. 11 -- Ten-night cruise from Mombasa, calling at Zanzibar, Grande Comore, Mayotte, Nossi-Be, Mahajanga, Moroni and Dar es Salaam. Fare: $9,400, including air fare."

So Dar es Salaam is a Cunard port after all.

I'm still figuring on removing Seattle unless we can show that has been a Cunard port.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I'm still figuring on removing Seattle unless we can show that has been a Cunard port.

For some reason it's listed here as a cunard port but without any details.

Sagafjord, one of the Sea Goddeses and Crown Dynasty all cruised Alaska in the mid-nineties so it's possible one of them called there.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
searches are confused by the existance of a Seatle company called Cunard Construction.

20 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Sagafjord, one of the Sea Goddeses and Crown Dynasty all cruised Alaska in the mid-nineties so it's possible one of them called there.

I had done some searches regarding the Alaska seasons for those ships hoping to find a call to Seattle but have come up empty so far.

I came close regarding Sagafjord with a reference to a call at Seattle in 1982, but that was when she was owned by Norwegian American Cruises.

I also found a reference to Sea Goddess I in Seattle, but that was back in 1985 when she was owned by Sea Goddess Cruises.

The few detailed Alaska itineraries I've found for those Cunard ships look a lot like the recent QE itineraries out of Vancouver. I'll keep looking though.

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Crikey - you guys are chewing through my photos faster than I can post them! 

How about posting one at a time? 😉

We have seen almost more  photos in the last few days than in the last year. 

I need a breath 😮

• Like 1