Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

On 4/6/2021 at 11:00 AM, Palmeat said:

Earlier replies of Fort de France, Martinique and Cochin, India are also correct. I think this just leaves Split, Croatia from my earlier offerings (although Colin correctly identified the port without naming it). Are there any more new ones left? Peter.

I can help out with Split...

436216265_CentralSplitfromanchorage.thumb.jpg.0c21b5bbbcf1c78a5f913e3420bd88cd.jpg

887325593_TheviewoverSplitcopy.thumb.jpg.3a5fdb1519e517ef0728e202fafe206c.jpg

1934357596_Wallswithmorestalls.thumb.jpg.31657118f045cc19899cb2857b9aacbd.jpg

...and on a slightly humorous note, hooked on a woman...

147887280_BigFishonhook.jpg.a42a79089c5d300ee2ac4bb4cf4530bc.jpg

14 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Re Carlmm's photo - sorry, I haven't a clue.

A review of my albums has thrown up photos of destinations which don't seem to appear on John's list. I know I've visited these aboard Cunard ships. I also have a number of ports which I'm confident Cunard ships will have visited at some time (also not on the list) but can't prove it. Finally I've identified many ports which I've visited on smaller ships - so possibly don't feature on Cunard past itineraries.

So to start with the first group, here are some confirmed Cunard ports which I can't find on 'the list'. Apologies if I've erred. Peter.

IMG_4124.JPG

I'm going to have a stab at this, I think it's Kingston, St Vincent & The Grenadines. The Yellow Kerbstones with  Red Bollards led me there...

DSC_6631.thumb.JPG.38f71f1c675a4d4280d342bd4825f49d.JPG

...hotly followed on checking out my library from 13 Months ago:  the Flower Pots seemed to confirm it...

DSC_6630.thumb.JPG.fbab41c068db4da52b6788c5c03d6b4d.JPG

Edited by Solent Richard

19 hours ago, Palmeat said:

IMG_8095.JPG

I think this one is Roseau, Dominica. It is on our list of ports we've seen here previously. But we haven't seen it from this angle before. We've seen quite a few ports here multiple times, so all's good with that. It keeps me on my toes checking all my assumptions about a port photo.

12 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

I'm going to have a stab at this, I think it's Kingston, St Vincent & The Grenadines. The Yellow Kerbstones with  Red Bollards led me there...

Ah, nice to see this port, mentioned in post #2005, identified by @Host Hattie as the "dine" port in the Christmas game.  Also the namesake port of "The Grenadines" band from Denmark.  😃

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 5:36 AM, Palmeat said:

IMG_1178.JPG

This one is Nuku'alofa Tonga.  I'll guess a stop on your 2015 QE voyage?

I'd love to get to these Pacific islands one day on Cunard.  For me, they have always been "fly over" places, far below in the late night darkness on the way to or from Australia and North America.

Correct shred - it is Nuku'alofa Tonga and was indeed visited on our 2015 QE trip. I think that leaves 4 ports still to be identified from my little bundle (post 2490).

Edited by Palmeat

On 4/6/2021 at 2:36 PM, Palmeat said:

IMG_4217.JPG

I found a tentative match to the tall building at the far left of this photo while I was going down the same path as @sfred trying to identify @carlmm's photo from Brazil a couple days ago. I've subsequently determined that building is called the "Mansão Wildberger" and I've also been able to match several other buildings in this photo.

I think this port is Salvador, Brazil.

• Like 1

IMG_4228.JPG

This is Busan, Korea.  Mrs. sfred and I were there on QM2 on 24 March 2017.  Unfortunately no photos of the occasion.  I'm fairly sure we had some pictures of the city taken from the roof garden of the Lotte department store, but our recent search that turned up the Shanghai picture didn't find anything for Busan.

Edited by sfred

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Busan is correct - another one bites the dust. Port of call on QE WC 2015.

As a quick aside Palmeat may I just say how impressed I have been by both your photographic collection and that cruising record. 

You and I certainly share a cruise line commonality across the whole cruising spectrum. Well done you.

I'm afraid I'm getting nowhere with Palmeat's last two photos.

On 4/6/2021 at 3:41 PM, Colin_Cameron said:

I'm fairly sure I'm out of photos of 'ship and port'.

Looks like I spoke too soon. I managed to find these two in old albums and scanned them.

Ship and port for each please.

021.jpg

020.jpg

2 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I'm afraid I'm getting nowhere with Palmeat's last two photos.

Looks like I spoke too soon. I managed to find these two in old albums and scanned them.

Ship and port for each please.

021.jpg

020.jpg

Second one must be Western Med or North Africa, as that is where those ferries sail...  That's as far as my sleuthing goes...  EM

• Like 1

IMG_3773.JPG

I think this one is also on our list of ports we've seen here previously. But again we haven't seen it from this angle before, so that's all good. It's recorded on our list of ports as Royal Navy Dockyard, Bermuda. You may have missed it on the port list if you were looking for Hamilton, Bermuda instead, @Palmeat.

The reason I listed it that way is that it's my understanding Hamilton has its own separate port for smaller cruise ships. I've read that Hamilton was a tender port for QE2. That was my reasoning for treating Royal Navy Dockyard in Bermuda as a separate port from Hamilton, the thinking being that someone might be able to contribute an older photo of the port of Hamilton itself. Sorry if that just confused things.

Thank you for your kind comments Solent Richard. Yes, we've both been about a bit!

Bluemarble - apologies, you have spotted my blunder exactly - couldn't see Hamilton on your list.

Colin - I think there's just one photo left unidentified. It's the last one featuring QE2. If it helps this port was on a line voyage down to Cape Town. Might help? I'll certainly need some clues for yours!

If acceptable to blue marble and other 'players' I have a number of photos of larger ports of call, but taken from non-Cunard ships - but it seems very likely that Cunard will have visited these at some point - but I don't know. Here are three - please share views if you're unhappy with this variation from the rules.

IMG_4442.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_5898.JPG

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Colin - I think there's just one photo left unidentified. It's the last one featuring QE2.

With the identification of Bermuda, I agree.

I'll certainly need some clues for yours!

Ask and ye shall receive. The first one is in the UK. The second, as  @Essiesmom worked out is in the Western Med.

please share views if you're unhappy with this variation from the rules.

If they turn out to have been Cunard ports then we’re all happy. If not, then you do realise you’re risking a keelhauling?

The first one has the look of the breakwater at the entrance to Honolulu, but I don’t think the hills in the background are high enough.

Edited by Colin_Cameron

52 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

If acceptable to blue marble and other 'players' I have a number of photos of larger ports of call, but taken from non-Cunard ships - but it seems very likely that Cunard will have visited these at some point - but I don't know. Here are three - please share views if you're unhappy with this variation from the rules.

No problem as far as I am concerned, @Palmeat. If we can verify your latest photos are of Cunard ports, I'll add them to the list. If not, I guess we'll just consider them an interesting diversion. I have contributed several photos of Cunard ports that were taken during cruises on other lines. It may have been me that started that particular variation from the original rules to keep the game going, after I had run out of photos taken on Cunard cruises.

QE2 Cape Town 070.jpg

Sometimes it is posible to guess a Cunard port based on the marinetraffic.com AIS location of other nearby identifiable ships.  But apparently this ship isn't sending an AIS signal at the moment.   😃

There is a "Maisa" pleasure craft listed in the marinetraffic database, registered in Finland and last seen on 25 April 2018 near the port of Turku Finland.  But its dimensions don't seem to be a match for this luxury vessel.

Edited by sfred

QE2 Cape Town 070.jpg

OK, I'll go ahead now and identify this one remaining photo from @Palmeat's previous batch of port photos. I think you will notice a distinct similarity to the photo in this post by @Lanky Lad which I identified as "Porto Grande, St Vincent (São Vicente), Cape Verde Islands".

On 10/21/2020 at 5:21 PM, Lanky Lad said:

I am sure this is a new port.   To help it's part of the trip to Cape Town.

07.jpg

However, in the port list document I simply listed this as "Porto Grande, St Vincent". I suspect that tripped you up @Palmeat since you were probably looking for either "São Vicente" or "Cape Verde Islands". I'll clarify that in the next version of the port list.

18 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

020.jpg

6 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks @Colin_Cameron.  The port looks like Nice, France.  I'm afraid I can't guess the ship.  It isn't any of the current Queens, and the shape of the bow doesn't look like QE2 or Caronia. 

Well done, @sfred. For some reason I thought we had seen Nice already, but I was thinking of Cannes. I should have checked my own port list before wasting time looking elsewhere in the Western Mediterranean.

I'll give it a try to identify the ships in this photo. The SNCM ferry is the Île de Beauté. But of course we are most interested in the Cunard ship. Could this be Sea Goddess II, the ship we saw previously in Port-Vendres, France?

• Like 1