Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'm on board for any effort to keep this thread going as long as possible. As the keeper of the list of ports seen so far, and since I've compiled a list of all the itineraries for the current Cunard fleet, I'll be glad to volunteer to collate a master list of unseen Cunard ports.

I haven't created a complete list of all the unseen ports on the itineraries for the current Cunard fleet, but I can tell it's in excess of 100 ports. I have little doubt I'll find more looking though the partial QE2 and Caronia itineraries I have. Plus I know I can come up with a few more from the smattering of itineraries for older ships such as the Sea Goddesses that I found while researching whether Cunard has called at some of the ports we've recently identified.

Too bad we don't have a messaging facility to send me your lists of unseen Cunard ports that way for me to collate into a master list. Of course everyone could post their lists here, but I imagine that would cause a fair amount of confusion. I do have an email address available for just such a situation. I could post that email address here if that sounds like the best way for anyone with known Cunard ports we haven't seen yet to send those port names to me.

I'm game as with that number of ports still remaining between us we should have enough photographs.

Apart from God knows how many trans Atlantics on QM2 I'm very much itinerary driven hence I have more recently shied away from Cunard on exactly those grounds.

In the event you're  not over keen on displaying an email to 'all and sundry' I'd be more than happy to coordinate for you through the 'Leave a Reply' facility at the end of each review on my Cruise Blog. All I'd do is extract the info and forward it to you without approving the comment/reply for publication.

Just a thought.

7 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Well done Colin - Ancona is correct. I'd thought that would be trickier. Look forward to learning from blue marble if it's officially a Cunard port!

So far I've found a couple inconclusive references to Cunard and Ancona. The first is from an April 6, 1999 article in Travel Weekly entitled "Cunard repositions ships away from Croatia". Here is a quote from that article.

"Seabourn's Seabourn Spirit and Legend, and Cunard's Vistafjord and Sea Goddess I and II will drop Dubrovnik and other Croatian destinations on the Adriatic and instead visit Ancona, Bari, Otranto, and the Tremiti Isles, on Italy's Adriatic coast."

The second is a similar reference from a May 9, 1999 article in the Chicago Tribune entitled "Adriatic Exodus". Here is a quote from that article.

"Cunard/Seabourn: The Vistafjord, Sea Goddess I and II, Seabourn Spirit and Seabourn Legend have canceled stops in Croatia and substituted calls on the Italian coast at Adriatic ports less affected by the crisis -- Ancona, Ravenna, Bari, Otranto and the Tremiti Isles."

Unfortunately these articles don't specifically state whether the Seabourn ships, the Cunard ships, or both were intending to visit Ancona.

Cunard ports not seen yet on the "Where in the World?" thread

As a follow-up to @Colin_Cameron's thoughts about collating a master list of Cunard ports not yet seen on this thread, I have taught myself how to use "Google Forms" which appears to be a workable solution for just such an enterprise.

Here is a link to a form where you can submit the names of ports you know have been visited by Cunard ships in the past but have not yet been seen on this thread.

Cunard ports not seen yet on the "Where in the World?" thread (google.com)

I will consolidate all the responses from this form along with ports on Cunard itineraries that have not been seen yet into a master list to be presented here at a later date as suggestions for further photo contributions.

For reference, here once again is the list of ports we have seen on this thread through yesterday, April 16, 2021.

Where in the World 2021-04-16.txt

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bluemarble said:

So far I've found a couple inconclusive references to Cunard and Ancona.

Fincantieri the shipbuilders have a large facility at Ancona.  While QV and QE were built at one of the other Fincantieri facilities, potentially some parts might have originated in Ancona.  A stretch, I know.  But then again I did stretch a Costco photo into the Cunard port of Incheon.  😃

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Palmeat said:

IMG_2067.JPG

I have been remiss with my ship spotting duties in this photo of Ancona. I believe the ships in this photo are (foreground to background):

Blue Line Ferries - Regina della Pace

Jadrolinija - Marko Polo

Oceania Cruises - Riviera

It's difficult to distinguish between Oceania's Riviera and Marina, as we've previously discussed on this thread. @Palmeat's signature indicates they've sailed on Riviera but not Marina, so that's why I'm going with Riviera as the ship in this photo.

9 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I'm struggling with the two remaining locations. My first thought for carlmm's is Aden, but I can't get the image to line up with anything in google.maps.

Is this one any easier?

BTW @bluemarble there's a typo in the list. Dikili is in Turkey, not NZ

028.jpg

I am also struggling with the remaining port photos, including this one. About all I am reasonably confident of in this photo is that the ship appears to be Caronia.

As the one who previously identified your photo of Dikili, Turkey, I have no clue how I managed to list it as in New Zealand in my port list. That correction is duly noted for the next version of the port list.

Thank you for submitting your list of known Cunard ports we haven't seen yet on this thread. Six of the ports you listed were not known to me as Cunard ports, so that was very helpful.

Edited by bluemarble

My last as yet unidentified port (post 2619) is an island capital. We visited in 2006. Unfortunately my other photos on the day don't offer any better views. Fairly confident it has been a Cunard port. Located only 7 miles off the coast of Venezuela. 

9 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

My last as yet unidentified port (post 2619) is an island capital. We visited in 2006. Unfortunately my other photos on the day don't offer any better views. Fairly confident it has been a Cunard port. Located only 7 miles off the coast of Venezuela. 

Don’t know how I missed this. I spent a long time trying to fit one of your recent photos into this port.

Port of Spain, Trinidad.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
Typo

6 hours ago, Yaldi said:

D24C181F-B126-477C-BD07-53AD7238AB11.jpeg

Thanks@Yaldi.  I'm not having any luck so far at identifying this port, but perhaps I can assist someone's research.  The partial logo visible on the storage tanks at the left is the Cargill company.  They are in over 70 countries, so I haven't been able to narrow my search sufficiently to find this location.

4 minutes ago, sfred said:

Thanks@Yaldi.  I'm not having any luck so far at identifying this port, but perhaps I can assist someone's research.  The partial logo visible on the storage tanks at the left is the Cargill company.  They are in over 70 countries, so I haven't been able to narrow my search sufficiently to find this location.

@sfred, I had also been going down the road looking for Cargill facilities and was in the process of confirming my find when I saw your reply. It did take quite a bit of searching, especially since this particular facility is apparently no longer owned by Cargill. A search for images of Cargill facilities within Europe eventually turned up a close match to this photo. It's from an article about how Bunge Limited had acquired this facility from Cargill in 2017.

I think that photo from @Yaldi is showing the port of Brest, France.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

@sfred, I had also been going down the road looking for Cargill facilities and was in the process of confirming my find when I saw your reply. It did take quite a bit of searching, especially since this particular facility is apparently no longer owned by Cargill. A search for images of Cargill facilities within Europe eventually turned up a close match to this photo. It's from an article about how Bunge Limited had acquired this facility from Cargill in 2017.

I think that photo from @Yaldi is showing the port of Brest, France.

Looks right, @bluemarble.  While the Cargill logo on the tanks is absent in the current 2020 google street view, it is still there in the older 2014 view. 

• Like 1