Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

14 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Ah. I hadn't reached 2004 yet.😄

Another new one. We docked at the industrial port but this is the town's small boat harbour. Much more picturesque.

027.JPG

Lovely place. I had lunch under one of those canopies! 

29 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

And you were in ...?

‘Le Canot’ restaurant in La Rochelle. I agree with you about the port though you do see an interesting curved road bridge amongst the industrialisation.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 6:48 AM, sfred said:

I'm still stumped, despite @carlmm's additional photo contribution.  Most of my web searches have been on the ship which appears to have the figures 1285, perhaps preceded by the letter L, on the side.  The remainder of the letters, below the bridge and at the stern, are too blurred to make out on my screen.  I've also tried to find a match for the metal pier railings shown in both photos, and the yellow cranes in the first photo, but again no luck.

Alright, one more photograph of the town.

This building in prime location at the port was not erected for Cunard but for another shipping company. The lookout was useful to watch for incoming ships.

The now defunct line was a major player in the area where it operated.

Quest N 11 d.JPG

On 4/17/2021 at 6:18 AM, carlmm said:

Great pictures!

I do not know if the following one counts. The only proof of a Cunard ship I have is when it anchored here during wartime service. What do you think?

Quest N 11 (2).JPG

34 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Alright, one more photograph of the town.

This building in prime location at the port was not erected for Cunard but for another shipping company. The lookout was useful to watch for incoming ships.

The now defunct line was a major player in the area where it operated.

Quest N 11 d.JPG

OK, I think I may have finally found this one.

Is it Lüderitz, Namibia?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I'm starting to think that the list of ports we haven't seen yet is going to be longer than the ones we have seen.

I've been scouring as many online itineraries I can find and merging it with your input. So far my count of Cunard ports we haven't seen yet is well in excess of 300.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Palmeat said:

IMG_4676.JPG

Once again, examining Oceania Nautica 2017 itineraries for Cape Town-Singapore helped identify this port. I'm getting a match to Richards Bay, South Africa.

Unfortunately I can't find any indication that this has been a Cunard port. The best I have been able to come up with is Saga Rose (ex-Sagafjord of the Cunard Line) called there during her final voyage to the ship-breakers in China.

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I've been scouring as many online itineraries I can find and merging it with your input. So far my count of Cunard ports we haven't seen yet is well in excess of 300.

I'm tempted to say wake me up when you decide to name the ports and require photographs however I may have one or two more that may keep me in the game...

DSC_1085.jpg.93e66615ffef407b72d5c359ccc19370.jpg

17 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Here are 2 more. Both taken from a Seabourn ship in 2009 - so the docks may not have been visited by Cunard's larger vessels

L1030478.JPG

L1030190.JPG

Well spotting a certain flag top right on the first photograph and instantly recognising it...

1607793675_BarbaraandVietnamflag.thumb.jpg.e366041fa20dff07c045f711db571f68.jpg

My first stab has to be a port in Vietnam and as its confessed from a 'smaller' ship I'll make my second stab as Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)

I'm afraid I don't recognise either of the outstanding photos.

Working on the ports we haven't seen has thrown up a few surprises. There are some well known large towns/cities/ports and it's a surprise we haven't seen them. Then there are others that are a surprise they were ever Cunard ports in the first place.

This definetly falls into the latter category.

032.jpg

23 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I'm afraid I don't recognise either of the outstanding photos.

Working on the ports we haven't seen has thrown up a few surprises. There are some well known large towns/cities/ports and it's a surprise we haven't seen them. Then there are others that are a surprise they were ever Cunard ports in the first place.

This definetly falls into the latter category.

032.jpg

Probably better known to the red funnels of Caledonian MacBrayne vessels that’s the island of Iona in Scotland. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 6:18 AM, carlmm said:

The only proof of a Cunard ship I have is when it anchored here during wartime service.

5 hours ago, carlmm said:

It is Lüderitz!

Perfect.

To complete the story, I'd be interested to know what Cunard ship anchored at Lüderitz during wartime service. Which war was it and was she serving as a troopship or in some other capacity (if you happen to know those details)?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

To complete the story, I'd be interested to know what Cunard ship anchored at Lüderitz during wartime service. Which war was it and was she serving as a troopship or in some other capacity (if you happen to know those details)?

It was the Great War or World War I.

According to log books  the first Laconia, built in 1911 for Cunard, anchored here on 28 January 1915 and on 31 January 1915. That day one PO and nine Seamen joined for passage. She was employed on patrol and later convoy protection.

Edited by carlmm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

It is indeed the Island of Iona. The abbey is visible at the right of the picture.

Here's another Cunard port with the same colour of sea. The same sand. The same temperature(NOT).

034.jpg

Definitely much nicer temperatures in Grand Turk. 🙂

• Like 1