Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

18 minutes ago, sfred said:

I'll guess San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua?   Google has several photos of the Cristo de La Misericordia which seem to match. 

Worth noting that's another port named for "Saint John" we've now seen on this thread. By my count that makes six in total.

St John's, Antigua

St John's, Newfoundland

Saint John, New Brunswick

St John, US Virgin Islands

San Juan, Puerto Rico

San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Edit: Sorry @sfred, I missed your edit to your last post stating the same thing.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Edit: Sorry @sfred, I missed your edit to your last post stating the same thing.

No worries!  I lost several minutes during my edit to look up what comes after double, triple, quadruple, quintuple, to describe a set of six Cunard ports.  But then I worried that I would be contrary to board guidelines for using an inappropriate word.  😃

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, sfred said:

I'll guess San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua?   Google has several photos of the Cristo de La Misericordia which seem to match. 

If correct, that will make for our 6th Cunard St John/St John's/San Juan port. 

Well done sfred - another gold star - it is indeed San Juan Del Sur. 

There are so many ports on the 'new' list that I've never heard of let alone visited, but unless it bores our little group I still have a few 'new' contributions to make which we can cross off the list. How about this pair?

P1000891.JPG

IMG_2706.JPG

4 hours ago, Palmeat said:

There are so many ports on the 'new' list that I've never heard of let alone visited, but unless it bores our little group I still have a few 'new' contributions to make which we can cross off the list. How about this pair?

P1000891.JPG

The sand and slope of the beach reminded me of Cane Garden Bay so on that similarity alone I'm going to opt for another island in the group, Virgin Gorda.

19 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

I've double checked and it it is (or WAS) a Cunard port, and it has been mentioned already but not seen.

CD107.JPG

On 12/15/2020 at 8:13 AM, bluemarble said:

One parting contribution from me for our game of identifying Cunard ships named for places that have been visited by Cunard ships. I'll wrap things up from me by adding Cuba.

SS Cuba was launched in 1864 and remained in service with Cunard until 1876.

Cunard ships have visited Havana, Cuba numerous times over the years. I've found references to Caronia, Carmania and Mauretania all having called there during 1929-1930. Caronia and Carmania each had weekly sailings between New York and Havana during that winter. I've also found a reference to Mauretania calling at Havana in 1956.

I have a busy Sunday ahead tomorrow, so if okay I'll use tomorrow's guess tonight before heading to bed.  As @Colin_Cameronmentioned, we read about this port back on @bluemarble's post 1905.

This is Havana, Cuba.  The statue is El Cristo de La Habana, on the north shore of the entrance to Havana harbor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sfred said:

This is Havana, Cuba.  The statue is El Cristo de La Habana, on the north shore of the entrance to Havana harbor.

You bet me by a few minutes, I was just checking my spelling.

Well done!

1 minute ago, carlmm said:

You bet me by a few minutes, I was just checking my spelling.

Well done!

Thanks!  Sorry for jumping the queue this evening.  I suggest joint credit to both of us for the identification.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

The sand and slope of the beach reminded me of Cane Garden Bay so on that similarity alone I'm going to opt for another island in the group, Virgin Gorda.

Sorry Richard, not Virgin Gorda. This is my favourite Caribbean beach where you can exchange moist currency for a soothing cocktail😀

6 hours ago, Palmeat said:

P1000891.JPG

10 minutes ago, Palmeat said:

Sorry Richard, not Virgin Gorda. This is my favourite Caribbean beach where you can exchange moist currency for a soothing cocktail😀

Okay, my final roll of the dice for this one:  another of Tortola's neighbouring islands, this is Jost Van Dyke and that looks like White Bay.

On 4/29/2021 at 6:16 PM, Solent Richard said:

Okay, so it's been a long afternoon on the Frascati Superiore so my final offering for today, is...

810846020_WhereintheWorld14.jpg.224421879a47e724991d1ec0fdde7719.jpg

Maybe a little help is needed on this one. Obviously it's a port but its main attraction is as a focal point for excursions to this amazing site...

276745617_Headlessview2.thumb.jpg.d666f06db60e4f9aa27ecd6fd01cfe1c.jpg

On 4/29/2021 at 12:16 PM, Solent Richard said:

Okay, so it's been a long afternoon on the Frascati Superiore so my final offering for today, is...

810846020_WhereintheWorld14.jpg.224421879a47e724991d1ec0fdde7719.jpg

19 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Maybe a little help is needed on this one. Obviously it's a port but its main attraction is as a focal point for excursions to this amazing site...

276745617_Headlessview2.thumb.jpg.d666f06db60e4f9aa27ecd6fd01cfe1c.jpg

Ah! This one is Semarang, Java, Indonesia with an excursion to the Buddhist temple at Borobudur. Once again your blog helped considerably.

52 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Okay, my final roll of the dice for this one:  another of Tortola's neighbouring islands, this is Jost Van Dyke and that looks like White Bay.

Well done Richard - yes, it is White Sands Bay, Jost Van Dyke (and my clue was the Soggy Dollar Bar, famous for it's Painkiller cocktails. Glorious place.

I've been to Semarang and visited Borobudur - but still didn't recognise the port from the perspective of your photo (my quayside photos look quite different!)

20 hours ago, carlmm said:

I guess, this one is rather easy.

Quest E 13 k.jpg

This one isn't quite as inscrutable as some of @carlmm's other port photos. The "rumo" logos on the rail cars indicate this is Brazil. I'm getting a match to the area around the grain terminal and Moinho Pacifico mill at Santos, Brazil

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

This one isn't quite as inscrutable as some of @carlmm's other port photos. The "rumo" logos on the rail cars indicate this is Brazil. I'm getting a match to the area around the grain terminal and Moinho Pacifico mill at Santos, Brazil

Perfect, again, @bluemarble.

Santos, used by many as a gateway to Sao Paulo, but worth a visit on its own right.

I post this port because it is on the list even though I am very surprised, almost cannot believe that a Cunard ship has ever docked. I will  be very interested to learn about the details of ship and date.

SAM_1092.JPG

1 hour ago, carlmm said:

I post this port because it is on the list even though I am very surprised, almost cannot believe that a Cunard ship has ever docked. I will  be very interested to learn about the details of ship and date.

SAM_1092.JPG

I have a port in mind for this, but only because I had the same reaction to one port on the list. But I can’t find anything like a matching image or location. You’d think those lamp posts would be distinctive.

6 hours ago, carlmm said:

This one has not been identified, right?

Somewhere on a river?

Hi Carl - no, not on a river I'm afraid. It's named on the latest list, but a very small dock, so unlikely to have been visited by Cunard's largest vessels. Definitely not a QM2 port of call!

On 5/1/2021 at 4:11 PM, Palmeat said:

IMG_2706.JPG

This is Valdez, Alaska.  Google street view also has some photos taken during the wintertime, when it looks much colder than @Palmeat's photo.

Another Alaska port!  (This one actually in Alaska.)  😃

10 minutes ago, sfred said:

While we continue to search for @carlmm's latest, here is an easy one.  It is on the list of ports and cruise-by's not yet seen.  You won't even have to go too far down the list. 

image.thumb.png.4f0e3401dcb767e983514284e0447fc4.png

Does the 'Early Bird' catch the worm? 😁

I'll go for the Amalia Glacier on that basis. 

1 minute ago, Solent Richard said:

Does the 'Early Bird' catch the worm? 😁

I'll go for the Amalia Glacier on that basis. 

Definitely!  Well done @Solent Ɍichard.  Amalia Glacier, Chile.  Photo taken during QV's cruise-by, on 24 February 2020.  It was a cold, rainy, damp day which did the glacier no favours for showing off scenic beauty.  But that sort of bleak weather is pretty common to that area of Chile.  The following day, 25 Feb, we would do a cruise-by of Pio X glacier (seen in post #1168).

• Like 1