Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

14 minutes ago, sfred said:

Definitely!  Well done @Solent Ɍichard.  Amalia Glacier, Chile.  Photo taken during QV's cruise-by, on 24 February 2020.  It was a cold, rainy, damp day which did the glacier no favours for showing off scenic beauty.  But that sort of bleak weather is pretty common to that area of Chile.  The following day, 25 Feb, we would do a cruise-by of Pio X glacier (seen in post #1168).

Just a question but could someone avail me of the rules with respect to Sail-byes please?

Having spotted Amalia Glacier I actually have another one that I took from a Cunard Ship and it doesn't appear on either list. Can it be added please?

Edited by Solent Richard

7 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Just a question but could someone avail me of the rules with respect to Sail-byes please?

I think originally the "rule" was that a cruise-by was one that was identified as such on a Cunard itinerary, like the three glaciers that we've seen.  But the rules have evolved many times, so I imagine that an interesting photo taken from a Cunard ship should certainly be eligible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Two from me to keep up the challenge...

1070129573_WhereintheWorld17.thumb.jpg.8aae6fe4977024c213ddc062ce96c328.jpg861917670_WhereintheWorld18.thumb.jpg.1d425b501bece5c52569335acdac1b3d.jpg

Richard - Your second photo is Devil's Island, French Guiana. I only know this as I have an identical photo which I vaguely recall was taken from the neighbouring island of Ille Royale where the ruins of the penal colony where Papillon was incarcerated make fascinating viewing

This thread is fascinating and such fun - not just because we are able to contribute our own memories and apply our brains to identifying the experiences of others - but also because we're achieving this across 3 disparate time zones - USA, Australia and Europe! 

Peter

• Like 3

22 hours ago, carlmm said:

I post this port because it is on the list even though I am very surprised, almost cannot believe that a Cunard ship has ever docked. I will  be very interested to learn about the details of ship and date.

SAM_1092.JPG

Is this the only one outstanding? I'm no closer to identifying it.

Although taken on a land holiday this is now a shore excursion from a nearby port but was a Cunard port in its own right in the past.

030.JPG

9 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Although taken on a land holiday this is now a shore excursion from a nearby port but was a Cunard port in its own right in the past.

030.JPG

Interestingly, this was my next photo to be posted.
I hope you do not mind me adding it, @Colin_Cameron

Quest E 12.jpg

Edited by carlmm
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, carlmm said:

This is Genoa, Italy.

With trucks from Southampton 😉

Correct Carl and well done.

I tried to throw you all off the scent off but it obviously didn't work.  The trucks were resupplying the ship which, on this occasion wasn't Cunard but P&O.

1595607588_WhereintheWorld15.thumb.jpg.1d06743a5e4bf5883e8a76c3be462ec1.jpg

58 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

030.JPG

53 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Interestingly, this was my next photo to be posted.
I hope you do not mind me adding it, @Colin_Cameron

Quest E 12.jpg

I see there have been several good port photos submitted today and most have already been identified. High time for me to get in gear today and identify one. I've also visited this port on a land holiday and could probably find a photo to scan if I dug hard enough for my old photo albums.

@carlmm, you will probably recall this from our word game to identify ports for the current Cunard fleet which include month abbreviations in their names. This port would have counted as including "apr" for April if any of the current fleet had called there rather than it being a shore excursion from Naples.

Since our photo contributions have no such restriction on only including the current Cunard fleet, this well and truly qualifies as a Cunard port from the past. There are itineraries showing Cunard Princess, Vistafjord and both Sea Goddesses having called here.

This is Capri, Italy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Palmeat said:

Richard - Your second photo is Devil's Island, French Guiana. I only know this as I have an identical photo which I vaguely recall was taken from the neighbouring island of Ille Royale where the ruins of the penal colony where Papillon was incarcerated make fascinating viewing

Well done Peter, that's exactly where that photograph was taken: in December 2003.

And you are correct, it was a fascinating visit,  on the same cruise that enabled me to recognise your earlier Parintins photograph.

Another view of the penal colony on Ille Royale...

695669037_IlleRoyaleBuilding.jpg.57c98d199a00fb9a694456d5059e10c2.jpg

I have two more on hand that may or may not prove a challenge as I work my way through the list.

Here goes....

1201276700_WhereintheWorld22.thumb.jpg.481dcf94fe83e456bf4d1a437f3e72f4.jpg

1223523328_WhereintheWorld21.thumb.jpg.8c157f4898635f4a286b636675ef365b.jpg

A clue for the second picture is that there is a hint of a 'Royal' friendship/connection there though it's not me. 😁

5 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Having spotted Amalia Glacier I actually have another one that I took from a Cunard Ship and it doesn't appear on either list. Can it be added please?

Photos of sail-bys taken from Cunard ships are fine as far as I am concerned. We have had several others here on this thread. A couple that come to mind are Stromboli and Vulcano. I omitted several sail-by calls which are listed on Cunard itineraries (especially in Alaska and Norway) from the list of "Cunard ports not seen yet" since that list seemed lengthy enough without them. Feel free to add photos of Cunard sail-bys.

• Like 1

Richard and Colin - as these next 2 ports of call from the list are in the UK and almost certainly readily identifiable by us Brits, might I respectfully propose that our international correspondents enjoy first dibs on these 2 - at least for 24 hours? Peter

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_9818.JPG

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Photos of sail-bys taken from Cunard ships are fine as far as I am concerned. We have had several others here on this thread. A couple that come to mind are Stromboli and Vulcano. I omitted several sail-by calls which are listed on Cunard itineraries (especially in Alaska and Norway) from the list of "Cunard ports not seen yet" since that list seemed lengthy enough without them. Feel free to add photos of Cunard sail-bys.

Thank you kind Sir. 

7 hours ago, sfred said:

This is Valdez, Alaska.  Google street view also has some photos taken during the wintertime, when it looks much colder than @Palmeat's photo.

Another Alaska port!  (This one actually in Alaska.)  😃

Excellent, @sfred! The clues pointed to that photo being in Alaska (a small port with signs in English, pine trees indicative of a northern climate, and evidence from the height of the pier that this location has a large tidal range). I had checked all the Alaska ports including Valdez multiple times without success. I think what threw me off was not finding that white canopy on google maps. And the "Welcome" sign is different. I can see most of the other features there now though. Well done!

Edited by bluemarble

1 hour ago, Palmeat said:

Richard and Colin - as these next 2 ports of call from the list are in the UK and almost certainly readily identifiable by us Brits, might I respectfully propose that our international correspondents enjoy first dibs on these 2 - at least for 24 hours? Peter

IMG_1212.JPG

IMG_9818.JPG

Since I only read this thread every few days, I rarely get the chance to be first to identify the ports I actually know. I rather enjoy reading everyone else's efforts, though.

I believe that I know both of these, having been to each from the land side and not on a ship. However, I'll just give my answer for the first one. If no one has identified the second by the time I get back here, I'll try that one, too.

Best guess for the top photo: Portree, Isle of Skye, Inner Hebrides, Scotland (how many levels of address are appropriate?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Palmeat said:

IMG_9818.JPG

Do not ask me to pronounce Llandudno but then I probably do not pronounce any one Welsh or any other British town correctly.

Well they didn't last long! Must try harder ones next time😀

ExArkie is correct. It is Portree (and the addition of United Kingdom, World as additional levels of address would have been OTT)😀

Carl - also correct. Llandudno it is. We non-Welsh pronounce as Clandudno in an effort to avoid offending locals. Hope that doesn't earn me a black mark from Host Hattie if she swings by this thread🙂

36 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Where’s @Host Hattie when you need her? 😄

I might have lived here for 30 years but I still can't pronounce place names, Machynlleth and Llanelli are particularly tricky !

I'm guessing this was a sail by not an actual port of call 😂

57 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Maybe the architecture close by helps?

Well, that doesn’t change my thinking. So despite being unable to identify the first picture, and since nobody has come up with a better suggestion, I’ll just go with my first thought.

Ghent?

29 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Well, that doesn’t change my thinking. So despite being unable to identify the first picture, and since nobody has come up with a better suggestion, I’ll just go with my first thought.

Ghent?

I'am sorry, it is not Ghent. 

One more clue:

We already have seen a picture of a part of the town where cruise ships dock on a regular basis. The name of this is on the list of ports seen.

Yet, there is the name of this town "proper" on the "Cunard ports not seen" list, too. That is the reason I posted the picture of the town port, wondering which Cunard ship made it there.

On 5/2/2021 at 7:49 AM, carlmm said:

I post this port because it is on the list even though I am very surprised, almost cannot believe that a Cunard ship has ever docked. I will  be very interested to learn about the details of ship and date.

SAM_1092.JPG

8 hours ago, carlmm said:

I'am sorry, it is not Ghent. 

One more clue:

We already have seen a picture of a part of the town where cruise ships dock on a regular basis. The name of this is on the list of ports seen.

Yet, there is the name of this town "proper" on the "Cunard ports not seen" list, too. That is the reason I posted the picture of the town port, wondering which Cunard ship made it there.

Oh, I see now!

First of all, thank you, @Colin_Cameron, for taking a chance on guessing Ghent. That's the same theory I had been pursuing for the past day and a half. I spent quite a while probably doing the same thing as you, looking at Ghent on google maps, searching in vain for a match to this scene. Next I tried to identify the ships in this photo, looking for ships that might be based at Ghent, again to no avail.

Picking up on your latest hint, @carlmm, I believe this is Rostock, Germany. I've been able to identify that ship toward the left of your photo as the icebreaker Stephan Jantzen which is now a museum ship in Rostock. I've found photos of Stephan Jantzen taken in Rostock showing the same style of streetlights as in your photo.

I think the issue may be because we have previously seen nearby Warnemünde where most cruise ships now dock at its cruise center. As recently as a few years ago, I know cruise ships were still docking at Rostock when there wasn't room at the Warnemünde Cruise Center. The one time we've docked at Warnemünde was on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas during July 2017. Just a month prior to our visit, she had to dock at Rostock instead because three other ships were docked at Warnemünde that same day.

To make sure I'm clear about this, where Serenade of the Seas docked (where Royal Caribbean called Rostock) was a berth along pier II at what I'm given to understand is called Hafen Rostock (Rostock Seaport). The photos I've found of the icebreaker Stephan Jantzen which match your photo were taken much closer to Rostock city proper. Understandably that closer-in location would not be very conducive to accommodating a cruise ship.

There are several references I found to Cunard ships from the past calling at Rostock. They include Sea Goddess I and Vistafjord during June 1992 as well as QE2 during July 1996, June 2004 and August 2004. For comparison, all the calls by the current Cunard fleet (QE and QV) are listed as calls to Warnemünde.

Assuming I have correctly identified the photo as Rostock, I hope I have helped clarify the situation with Warnemünde and Rostock being treated as two separate ports. Perhaps in Germany these ports are collectively known as Rostock-Warnemünde, but at least some cruise lines do make a distinction, calling the Warnemünde Cruise Center "Warnemünde" and referring to the berths at Hafen Rostock as "Rostock".

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1