Cunard cancels 20/21 Australian cruises, 2021 world cruises and more.

Cunard has cancelled all of it's 20/21 Queen Elizabeth cruises. I received an email today:

"Throughout this year, we've been making important decisions to protect the wellbeing of our guests and crew, due to the emerging threat of Covid-19. In March, we paused all operations across our ships, and are currently reviewing every aspect of the Cunard experience. We will only resume sailing when it is safe to do so, when we have the approval and accreditation for our enhanced health protocols and when our guests can travel freely to the destinations we visit.

After very careful consideration we do not feel it would be sensible to start sailing again this year. We are therefore extending our pause in operations through to 25 March 2021 for Queen Elizabeth, 18 April 2021 for Queen Mary 2 and 16 May 2021 for Queen Victoria. This means that your voyage has unfortunately been cancelled and we are very sorry for the disappointment this may cause.
Throughout this year, we've been making important decisions to protect the wellbeing of our guests and crew, due to the emerging threat of Covid-19. In March, we paused all operations across our ships, and are currently reviewing every aspect of the Cunard experience. We will only resume sailing when it is safe to do so, when we have the approval and accreditation for our enhanced health protocols and when our guests can travel freely to the destinations we visit.

After very careful consideration we do not feel it would be sensible to start sailing again this year. We are therefore extending our pause in operations through to 25 March 2021 for Queen Elizabeth, 18 April 2021 for Queen Mary 2 and 16 May 2021 for Queen Victoria. This means that your voyage has unfortunately been cancelled and we are very sorry for the disappointment this may cause.

There is some discussion on the Cunard forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2759024-cunard-cancels-cruises-up-to-april-2021/

125% FCC is automatically granted or a refund can be applied for.

Looks like I'll have to book a 2022 cruise instead.

Yes, very sad, but I was expecting it to happen. At least they've given plenty of notice.

Anyway I just booked a replacement Cunard cruise, a 22 night one from Sydney over Christmas/New Year 2021 with NYE in Auckland.

I hadn't looked for months and just today I started considered a southern Japan/Taiwan cruise in late April. Bugger.  Still have credit from the cancelled trans-Pacific in May - not sure whether to book the same t cruise in 2022 or wait 

16 minutes ago, lissie said:

I hadn't looked for months and just today I started considered a southern Japan/Taiwan cruise in late April. Bugger.  Still have credit from the cancelled trans-Pacific in May - not sure whether to book the same t cruise in 2022 or wait 

See what the deal is. If it's a good deal book the 2022 one.

For the NZ cruise it was a reduced fare and only 5% deposit. There weren't many cabins left so I booked it straight away. I'll apply the FCC from the cancelled cruise later.

I've decided to just roll my cruise bookings forward, booking replacement cruises as ones I have booked get cancelled. We mostly cruise Princess and it's very easy with their FCD system, however they haven't released the 21/22 itineraries yet.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what equates as a good deal - its about  NZ$5000 / 2 for 9 days inside cabin (our preference I get sea sick) .  They are only doing that particularly itinerary once though. Q214 Southern Islands 

From the Cunard Website: https://www.cunard.com/en-au/contact-us/travel-health-advisories

As a result of the continuing impact of Covid-19, Cunard has further extended its pause in operations to sailings up to 25 March 2021 for Queen Elizabeth, 18 April 2021 for Queen Mary 2 and 16 May 2021 for Queen Victoria.

Changes to Queen Elizabeth 2021 sailings.

With Queen Elizabeth having returned to the UK during the pause, and with ongoing uncertainty over the re-opening of ports and countries on her intended routes next year, it is sadly not practical to continue as planned. Therefore, in addition to the extended pause, all of Queen Elizabeth’s sailings that were due to depart between 26 March and 13 December 2021 will be cancelled. This includes all sailings around Australia, Japan and Alaska.

These voyages will be replaced with a programme of shorter duration European holidays from Southampton and a series of Mediterranean voyages sailing from Barcelona, all of which will be available to book from 29 September 2020.

Queen Elizabeth will be returning to Australia at the end of 2021 and Japan in spring 2022.

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Do you think other lines will follow suit ?

With Princess Australia delaying their 2021-2022 schedule it indicates changes are likely to occur. I cannot see their 2021 World Cruise or other cruises over 16 nights proceeding.

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

With Princess Australia delaying their 2021-2022 schedule it indicates changes are likely to occur. I cannot see their 2021 World Cruise or other cruises over 16 nights proceeding.

Princess have just cancelled the early 2021 world cruise on Island , and the Pacific Princess cruises up until the end of March 2021 which includes the Circle South America from Australia.

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, very sad, but I was expecting it to happen. At least they've given plenty of notice.

Anyway I just booked a replacement Cunard cruise, a 22 night one from Sydney over Christmas/New Year 2021 with NYE in Auckland.

That sounds like a cruise made for you!  Something to look forward to.  

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just checked that one out on Cunard Australia website for myself but as a solo traveller, a balcony is $12,000, that is $570 per diem  Albeit only 5% deposit.  It says balance payable by 23 September, surely that is not September this year is it?  I will have to count my pennies and revert to Chateau Cardboard for a a year or so.🍷

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

That sounds like a cruise made for you!  Something to look forward to.  

Yes, it's a good itinerary for us. Melbourne so we can see family there, Burnie which we've never been to, Dunedin to catch up with my brother (the main reason we do regular NZ cruises), and two days in Auckland to catch up with folk there.

33 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I just checked that one out on Cunard Australia website for myself but as a solo traveller, a balcony is $12,000, that is $570 per diem  Albeit only 5% deposit.  It says balance payable by 23 September, surely that is not September this year is it?  I will have to count my pennies and revert to Chateau Cardboard for a a year or so.🍷

No, it's September 2021. 

Yeah, the single supplements are a real bummer.

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, it's September 2021. 

Yeah, the single supplements are a real bummer.

Thanks, Welcome to my world.🥵I could 'slum it' and do an inside for $8500, thats 'only' $400 per diem, thinking hard about it.  Been on QM2, so I know I cannot wear my boardies, singlet and thongs into the Britannia Restaurant, etc.  The Brits on board doing the worldie don't like it.🤣

Edited by NSWP