Another 1.2 billion for NCL

YankeeFan4Ever

On 9/5/2020 at 12:26 PM, Trimone said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone is negotiating a deal to take Oceania cruises and Regent seven seas cruises independent from NCLH.

Well...unless it's a "new" company that has cruising experience, none of the likely candidates can do it.  Plus, I can't see any lending institution who already has a loan stake in any of the cruise lines putting out that kind of cash in a market that is, at best, not reaping revenues any time in the next 90 days (at least).

On 9/5/2020 at 12:26 PM, Trimone said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone is negotiating a deal to take Oceania cruises and Regent seven seas cruises independent from NCLH.

Well...unless it's a "new" company that has cruising experience, none of the likely candidates can do it.  Plus, I can't see any lending institution who already has a loan stake in any of the cruise lines putting out that kind of cash in a market that is, at best, not reaping revenues any time in the next 90 days (at least).

Richard Branson?  He's trying to find banks that will float him a loan for both his cruise company and his airlines.  So, that's off the table.

On 9/2/2020 at 4:38 PM, david_sobe said:

Yes but to vaccinate everyone will still take a long time.  Vaccine trials can last one year.  Then once approved first doses go to elderly and pre-existing conditions.  When it ventures down to young families that want to cruise could be a year after a successful vaccine is produced.  Covid is with us for years just like the other worldwide pandemic 100 years ago.  We will get through it but its gonna be a little while.  Good grief the news yesterday theorized that people only have Covid immunity as long as a cold virus immunity which is 3-4 months.  There are people getting Covid twice.

I suspect it will take some time to vaccinate all that wish to be vaccinated.

However, I remember massive vaccinations as a young person, like when the Salk Polio Vaccine was introduced in the early 60s. As I recall, just about everyone was vaccinated and it took place rather quickly.  Of course, that was an oral vaccine, with the COVID-19 will not be.  

I am sure that medical personnel and first responders will be first in line, then nursing home patients, then people with some underlying conditions.

Seniors should be next in line.

As I understand it there are 4 or 5 vaccines under testing now in the USA, not to mention in Europe and elsewhere.

I won't do the Russian vaccine.   The US government already has contracting for huge production, once approved.

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

However, I remember massive vaccinations as a young person, like when the Salk Polio Vaccine was introduced in the early 60s. As I recall, just about everyone was vaccinated and it took place rather quickly.  Of course, that was an oral vaccine,

FYI, you've confused the Salk and Sabin vaccines. The Salk vaccine was an injection and brought into use in 1955. I was one of the schoolchildren who participated in the 1954 trials of the Salk vaccine.

The Sabin vaccine was orally administered and introduced for use in 1961.

15 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Richard Branson?  He's trying to find banks that will float him a loan for both his cruise company and his airlines.  So, that's off the table.

Think closer to home?

14 hours ago, njhorseman said:

FYI, you've confused the Salk and Sabin vaccines. The Salk vaccine was an injection and brought into use in 1955. I was one of the schoolchildren who participated in the 1954 trials of the Salk vaccine.

The Sabin vaccine was orally administered and introduced for use in 1961.

njhorseman,

Thanks for the correction.  That was many years ago, and I did confuse the two.  I remember having both of those vaccines.

On 9/9/2020 at 7:23 AM, Trimone said:

Think closer to home?

Not sure who would be close to home.  The Big 3 (CCL, NCL, RCCL) are all in the same boat (no pun intended).  So, none of them would be able to buy out the other.  Plus, if any of them merged, they’re just doubling the risk, as they’re all highly leveraged right now.  Costs have already been cut to the bone, so no value there.

I guess some financial institution could come in and look for underserved routes and do a restructuring.  But, even there, most of these ships all go to the same ports.  To line up a new port, there would have to be even more money invested to build the infrastructure to accommodate these ships.

Current debt holders are riding the storm out.  And, that’s probably the best strategy to follow.

On 9/2/2020 at 4:26 PM, GA Dave said:

It is going to take a while from the time a vaccine is approved for most people who cruise to get it.  See the article linked below.  The plan being proposed is medical and first responders first, then nursing/retirement home residents and those rated as high risk, then teachers, school staff, essential workers, etc., then (finally) everyone else.

Who Will Be First In Line?

Agree, and also, I don't think we have much of a plan for physical distribution, all the details ironed out as far as equipment and what is necessary to vaccinate, as well as the people qualified to give vaccines available....it doesn't stop when the vaccine is approved, it has to be administered.  Take this from a 73 year old woman who was recruited to run an autoclave in 4th grade to help with administration of polio vaccine and got Hepatitis B as a result.  Using a 10 year old was not a good outcome for distribution but it was all they had.

• Like 2

Carnival Cruise Line has cancelled further trips and will sell two of its ships as it continues to navigate the travel slowdown brought on by the global coronavirus pandemic.

The company has pulled the plug on four voyages, including one from Brisbane, due to depart in 2021, USA Today reported.

The cancellations impact the Carnival Magic from Miami until March 13, 2021; the Carnival Paradise from Tampa until March 19; the Carnival Valor from New Orleans until April 29 and the Carnival Spirit from Brisbane.
That’s until March 2021?