Covid Test from United?

Host Jazzbeau

United Airlines will offer rapid coronavirus tests to passengers traveling from San Francisco to Hawaii for a fee next month, a pilot program that could serve as a blueprint for other airlines.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/united-airlines-to-offer-rapid-coronavirus-tests-for-some-passengers

The article suggests that other airlines and airports could adopt this, which if coordinated with French Polynesia could solve the problem that many posters here are having in finding timely tests on their way to airport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The test that they are offering for Hawaii is specifically disallowed for French Polynesia, it is the Abbott ID Now test that is on the list of non approved tests:

https://tahititourisme.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/FDA-Approved-Tests-for-Travel-to-French-Polynesia-August-11-2020.pdf

https://hub.united.com/2020-09-24-united-airlines-becomes-first-u-s-carrier-to-make-covid-19-tests-available-to-customers-2647787602.html

Edited by aururab
  • Like 1

Unless United and Windstar and Ponant are talking to the FP government to ease up on the test they will accept, testing to go to tahiti for a cruise is going to cause many of us to have to cancel our plans. I am one of those people scheduled to cruise on Wind Spirit in January who is likely going to have to cancel because I cannot get a test within the required time frame. I'm not going to pay extra to stay in SF for a few nights before the flight to get tested there. AS much as I want to go on this cruise i

I don't want it that badly if it adds hundreds of dollars to my vacation cost.

• Like 1

There is a thread on another major travel forum where people discuss more land based trips where many outline places they have been able to get tested in time for anywhere between nothing and $250. Many insurance companies cover a portion of the costs as well. 

We are leaving this week and getting tested tomorrow in Oakland.

I would expect United to have the company perform a different test once it is used for international travel  ...

The issue I'm having is the cost. Doesn't matter if it's SFO or LAX ... $250 or more per person is outrageous. The cost in FP for the pre-boarding test is only $59 ... someone is gouging for the test around LAX or SFO.

So  .... a couple is required to add $618 or more for the required test plus the cost of potentially staying a day at a hotel around LAX or SFO. 

In my case the cost of the test is more than one R/T ticket I paid to go to FP  ... as I said, seems like some gouging going on

16 hours ago, aururab said:

There is a thread on another major travel forum where people discuss more land based trips where many outline places they have been able to get tested in time for anywhere between nothing and $250. Many insurance companies cover a portion of the costs as well. 

Aururab, can you help with what site/forum that is?  I'm struggling to find a place in Phoenix, AZ that can get results back in time AND on the Tahiti Gov approved list. I've made dozens of calls and emails and no luck yet. My plan A right now for our Jan cruise is to fly out to LAX 2 days early and use the lab on the Air Tahiti Nui site in Hollywood. That's 2 extra nights in LA area on top of testing cost.  Looking for a new plan A.

For Hawaii I think United’s test for $85 in the airport is a excellent and reasonably priced solution.

For FP, while it is tricky to figure out, but many have found free tests that meet the timing requirements.

My problem was that they have a list of approved testing manufacturers, and while it seems like the airlines are not routinely checking that I worry they could. The free testing facility local to me advertises 3-4 days, but actually has results in 24 hrs, and it is the correct test, but no one could me the manufacturer.

I went with ADX in Oakland, $150 pp