The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I will take this wild card. If this place is still there it should be quite straightforward for some. Taken almost pre digital. City and river please.

image.thumb.jpeg.3eee735c0bb512a7ad09955ca2302f34.jpeg

New Orleans, the Mississippi?

Well done acwmom. I took the photograph some time ago as you could have guessed from me saying I’m not to sure if it’s still there and it was almost pre digital. New Orleans was wonderful I’d go back tomorrow. 
I wanted to find something a bit different as we haven’t as yet been to Asia or Australia or Russia it had to be from our all to short cruise on the Mississippi. CA

17 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

I took the photograph some time ago as you could have guessed from me saying I’m not to sure if it’s still there and it was almost pre digital. New Orleans was wonderful I’d go back tomorrow. 

Just curious, CA ...

Did you take the photo from your cruise ship or did you dine at the restaurant? Tulane University has the 1985 menu from Algiers Landing Restaurant in their digital library. Check-out their prices back in '85 - wish I could find those same prices today (love Cajun food). 

https://digitallibrary.tulane.edu/islandora/object/tulane%3A17461/datastream/PDF/view

6 minutes ago, acwmom said:

This one is a gimme, but, seemed fitting, given the upcoming weekend.

Yes, very fitting - so many lost their lives in this war. Like how you captured just one cross in the foreground with the lovely colors in the background.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Like how you captured just one cross in the foreground with the lovely colors in the background.

Agree. Makes it all the more striking.

No idea where this is.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Collville sur Mar Normandy, Seine.

dogs4fun on I must admit a day cruise so did not go to the restaurant which I think was closed then. Taken on film but as my scanner is playing up I just rephotographed it on my iPad. I have far to many photographs to digitise both at home and for our archive. CA

49 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Collville sur Mar Normandy, Seine.

dogs4fun on I must admit a day cruise so did not go to the restaurant which I think was closed then. Taken on film but as my scanner is playing up I just rephotographed it on my iPad. I have far to many photographs to digitise both at home and for our archive. CA

Yes, The American Cemetery in Normandy.

Back to you!

We went there on our Scenic Seine cruise, beautiful serene place we all had poppies to place wherever we wanted and all of us chose those known unto God. There was a vet there talking to youngsters. Before we had been to Pont de Hoc very interesting and informative. 
Just looking for the next picture. CA

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

Yes but it dates from well before the Black Death. CA

Right you are - I believe that the grounds at this site were used as a burial site way back to Roman times. However, I thought that the building's ghoulish ornamentation appeared after and as a result of the Black Death. I find it amazing that the macabre images on these old timbers still exist. 

Edited by dogs4fun