The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

1 hour ago, Ritabob said:

Cumberland river in Tennessee? 

Wild thought ...

I have no idea where the photo was taken but following your thought stream ...

There is also the Allegheny River - the Allegheny  National Forest features an ‘Enchanted Valley’ and the ‘Enchanted Mountains’. Is the Allegheny navigable?

This is great! I really found a stumper. Some more hints: first, notamermaid has named the river, the Rhine; second; it is an 18th century structure; third, it is part of a series of structures, intentionally designed to delight the senses.

Robin

1 hour ago, Ritabob said:

I think she is in Kentucky,  and that is partially why my guess is in North America. 

All that cement in the stonework just does not seem European. 

RB

Yes, I am in Northern KY, in the greater Cincinnati area. I do have some pics of the OH River, but this is in Europe.

Good question. There had been some rich and odd-thinking dukes and princes around... They mostly went for palaces and hunting lodges - and orangeries. Follies as part of Baroque gardens I have heard of, but this is in a forest on a hill. Enchanted forest is stuck in my mind. I will see if I can find something through the German word Zauber - Zauberwald is enchanted forest.

notamermaid

29 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

If this is an artificial ruin then, @dogs4fun, you are right. That is classified as a folly. I have read a bit and the fashion for them in Germany started in the latter half of the 18th century, i.e. after Baroque, further developing in the 19th century.

notamermaid

The second picture is an artificial ruin, the first was purpose-built. With regard to the first, some in the group wouldn't traverse, due to claustrophobia.

Robin

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Good question. There had been some rich and odd-thinking dukes and princes around... They mostly went for palaces and hunting lodges - and orangeries. Follies as part of Baroque gardens I have heard of, but this is in a forest on a hill. Enchanted forest is stuck in my mind. I will see if I can find something through the German word Zauber - Zauberwald is enchanted forest.

notamermaid

You are on the right track with "Zauber"

Congrats all! You found it! Yes, we visited all the sites in the park. We took the cable cars up from Rüdesheim, then walked through the forest, and descended in Assmannshausen. Here is a view of the entrance of the cave. It got VERY dark in the middle. Great teamwork, I'll let you decide who goes next.

Here's another link that discusses the park.  https://visitworldheritage.com/en/eu/ostein’s-niederwald/82dd9fe7-2cef-4e61-a387-a24804cb737d

IMG_9207.thumb.jpeg.2ddc90bcca43113d4d3e6defa4bf67d4.jpeg

• Like 2

Funny how weird things are near one and one has never heard of them. I have been to Rüdesheim, the Niederwalddenkmal and the town Assmannshausen, but not the tunnel and ruin. If I may say so, the folly of this guy was building that ruin, I mean, it is not a unique idea. They are not exactly rare in that area. There is one almost literally just down the road. Perhaps a case of "I love these, my neighbour has got one, I want one, too."

Anyway, thanks for the challenge, @acwmom. Now I understand artificial ruins and know that there is river called Cumberland and there is a beautiful wedding venue in an enchanted forest in Tennessee 😁.

Anyway, @dogs4fun I reckon you are still without proper technical supply for posting photos, which leads me to ask@jpalbny if you would like to post us a photo or if it should be my humble me?

notamermaid

19 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Funny how weird things are near one and one has never heard of them. I have been to Rüdesheim, the Niederwalddenkmal and the town Assmannshausen, but not the tunnel and ruin. If I may say so, the folly of this guy was building that ruin, I mean, it is not a unique idea. They are not exactly rare in that area. There is one almost literally just down the road. Perhaps a case of "I love these, my neighbour has got one, I want one, too."

It is actually one of the favorite excursions that we've done. It was the "go active" option that day. Our guide warned us to stay on the path, as there were likely live, unexploded mines in the area.

Looks like you're up!

IMG_9192.jpeg

46 minutes ago, acwmom said:

Our guide warned us to stay on the path, as there were likely live, unexploded mines in the area.

I am a bit surprised the forest has never been fully cleared, or at least they think it is safer to warn people as they cannot guarantee it is cleared. Newspaper articles say the sign you posted is an addition of recent years as they had found parts of explosives they had not known about in the forest area.

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Go for it, @notamermaid! Would that be keinemeerjungfrau in German?

I am still at work and I'm only on my cell phone.

The idea behind the name is indeed that I live on a river so am a river maiden, not a mermaid, "keine Meerjungfrau".

Thank you, photo coming up.

notamermaid

Here goes.

Name what is in the photo. First guess the river. After that name the town/city/place.
The person one who first guesses correctly gets to post the next photo!

The river this stream flows into and the town I would like to know from you, the buildings themselves have no major significance.

IMG_20200918_115105.thumb.jpg.d9425637ff592c2104cf26f2961a6fe9.jpg

notamermaid

• Like 1