It took 8 months, but,

TriumphGuy

Thank you, Holland America!
Today I logged in to our credit card account and discovered a credit for $3141.00 from HAL. This represents the FCC portion for which we had requested a refund on our cancelled April transatlantic. We had cancelled back in March, accepting a 50% cash refund and a 50% FCC.
In August, it became apparent we were not going to be cruising anytime soon, so we contacted HAL and requested a refund of the FCC. It took a few months but they refunded the entire credit. 
It makes me feel much better about HAL as a company. They did not have to refund the FCC per the agreement, but they honored our request.
When things return to some degree of "normal" we will book with HAL again to cruise.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

Thank you, Holland America!
Today I logged in to our credit card account and discovered a credit for $3141.00 from HAL. This represents the FCC portion for which we had requested a refund on our cancelled April transatlantic. We had cancelled back in March, accepting a 50% cash refund and a 50% FCC.
In August, it became apparent we were not going to be cruising anytime soon, so we contacted HAL and requested a refund of the FCC. It took a few months but they refunded the entire credit. 
It makes me feel much better about HAL as a company. They did not have to refund the FCC per the agreement, but they honored our request.
When things return to some degree of "normal" we will book with HAL again to cruise.

And that is the best way in the long run to keep loyal customers. This is especially true in these days with the internet allowing people to let others know of both positive and negative things done by a company.

We were meant to be on a June 2020 Alaska cruise. When it was cancelled we opted for a FCC. We received the taxes back in September. Three weeks ago we decided that we would not be able to even consider a cruise until 2022, as it doesn’t look as though we will even be allowed to travel abroad in 2021. I rang Holland America in Sydney and the lady was extremely helpful, said she would change our FCC to a refund, but it might take up to 90 days. Today, three weeks later our travel agent rang to say the money had been returned and she was transferring it to our account immediately. Thank you Holland America for such a quick response. We will certainly be booking again when it is possible. Unfortunately the Maasdam has been sold, she was our favourite ship, but I’m sure we can find another lovely Holland America ship. In the meantime, the refund will be used to fund a new fence at the bottom of our garden! 
Stay safe everyone.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, daisybertie said:

We were meant to be on a June 2020 Alaska cruise. When it was cancelled we opted for a FCC. We received the taxes back in September. Three weeks ago we decided that we would not be able to even consider a cruise until 2022, as it doesn’t look as though we will even be allowed to travel abroad in 2021. I rang Holland America in Sydney and the lady was extremely helpful, said she would change our FCC to a refund, but it might take up to 90 days. Today, three weeks later our travel agent rang to say the money had been returned and she was transferring it to our account immediately. Thank you Holland America for such a quick response. We will certainly be booking again when it is possible. Unfortunately the Maasdam has been sold, she was our favourite ship, but I’m sure we can find another lovely Holland America ship. In the meantime, the refund will be used to fund a new fence at the bottom of our garden! 
Stay safe everyone.

Yes, we had a bucket list cruise planned for last April, a transatlantic to Amsterdam. We were planning on spending an additional week in Normandy and Paris. I had it all planned, everything was paid, hotels, cruise, airfare, airBNB, Thalys train, car rental, it all had to be cancelled.
As it turned out, the only money we were out was the Thalys train, they refused to refund fully, they kept 50% of our fares, about $90. Not much I can do about it as it's a European concern.
We even got a full refund on our travel insurance premium.
So we spent our cruise money on some much needed landscaping here at home. We're hopeful that we will be able to cruise again in 2022.

• Like 2