Speciality Dining on NCL, specifically Breakaway

diplomats

We have a cruise booked for February on Breakaway, including a two event dining package.  When the booking period opened, I found that two speciality restaurants, Teppanyaki and Moderno, which usually have a speciality dining fee, were showing the fee as zero.  NCL agents tell me that speciality dining venues "never" have zero fees, despite the information on the website.  I am wondering if NCL has simply assumed that I would use my two free events at Teppanyaki and Moderno.  Has anyone else had this experience?? If I book Teppanyaki and Moderno at the zero fee, and two of the other specialty restaurants marked "a la carte', would my package be honored for the "a la carte" venues??

I have never booked in advance online before and find this all very confusing.  Any cogent explanations would be appreciated. 

7 hours ago, diplomats said:

We have a cruise booked for February on Breakaway, including a two event dining package.  When the booking period opened, I found that two speciality restaurants, Teppanyaki and Moderno, which usually have a speciality dining fee, were showing the fee as zero.  NCL agents tell me that speciality dining venues "never" have zero fees, despite the information on the website.  I am wondering if NCL has simply assumed that I would use my two free events at Teppanyaki and Moderno.  Has anyone else had this experience?? If I book Teppanyaki and Moderno at the zero fee, and two of the other specialty restaurants marked "a la carte', would my package be honored for the "a la carte" venues??

I have never booked in advance online before and find this all very confusing.  Any cogent explanations would be appreciated. 

Yes. At the time of service, you choose how you want to pay. Either a room charge or using one of your Specialty Dining Package credits. 

NCL agents are incorrect. If you have an SDP and you attempt to book a fixed fee restaurant linke Teppanyaki, it will show $0. 

teppanyaki, and moderno are 2 of the must eat at restaurants on an ncl cruise(as far as i am concerned) cagney's being right up there also.  we always use 3 of our specialty dinner package choices on these 3. there is no charge to our account. 

if you have a 2 dinner package, and pick both of these as your choices, if you then decide to eat at la cucina, le bistro or cagney's you will be charged per person 

Thanks for the info.  The latest post from "prwardii" was especially helpful.  As I understand it, the final decision on how to use SDP is  made at the venue at the meal, not in the reservation. 

Now just have to cross fingers that a mid February cruise from NOLA happens. 

On 11/6/2020 at 11:14 AM, diplomats said:

Thanks for the info.  The latest post from "prwardii" was especially helpful.  As I understand it, the final decision on how to use SDP is  made at the venue at the meal, not in the reservation. 

Now just have to cross fingers that a mid February cruise from NOLA happens. 

Enjoy the Breakaway. She is significantly different than the Spirit and the Sun. We've sailed on her 4 times in the past. 

I’ve been wondering how it works. Not going until 2022 but booked with 2 specialty dining. Do we just make reservations at the fee restaurant of our choice and they will know we have the 2 free specialty dining? We have only cruise Carnival, and NCL has a regular dining room your are assigned to, correct?

35 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

Do we just make reservations at the fee restaurant of our choice and they will know we have the 2 free specialty dining?

The system will assume that you will use your SDP for the first restaurants that you reserve. It's up to you how you "pay" once on the ship. By making the "flat fee" reservations first, you are not charged online unless you book more fee restaurants than you have SDP credits.  

35 minutes ago, kona_wahine said:

We have only cruise Carnival, and NCL has a regular dining room your are assigned to, correct?

No, you aren't assigned to eat at any restaurant. You can eat wherever and whenever you want (not including Haven-only venues and "reserved" venues). There are main dining rooms (MDR) that anyone can just walk to and eat during dining hours. Check to dailies to see what's open for breakfast/lunch/dinner or 24hours. There are also more complimentary dining options in addition to the buffet. The reservation system just helps to reduce the wait time and (if a restaurant is filled to capacity) helps you to get in. It's very much like land-based restaurants on NCL. You can show up and if needed, wait for a table. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

• 2 weeks later...

Currently for our 7 day cruise on the Bliss in the Haven, the Free At Sea "Specialty Dining" offer says this:

"Save up to $160 and savor free meals at our Specialty Dining venues for Guests 1 & 2. Gratuities will be added to your booking."

"Free meals" (how many)? 2 meals each for guests 1 & 2?

Does NCL offer unlimited dining in specialty restaurants like Royal's Star Class?

We are sailing with 3 guests, how many specialty meals do most of you purchase?

1 hour ago, flyguyjake said:

"Free meals" (how many)? 2 meals each for guests 1 & 2?

In your case (7 days/nights), it is 2 meals each for guest 1&2. 

Does NCL offer unlimited dining in specialty restaurants like Royal's Star Class?

Not anymore. The UDP was unlimited uses but that stopped many years ago (2016, iirc). It was then 4 meals for 7 days/nights, then 3 meals, now it's 2 meals. 

We are sailing with 3 guests, how many specialty meals do most of you purchase?

It depends. Also, some specialty restaurants are a la carte and some are a fixed price so deciding if a SDP credit is better or just paying a la carte is better depends on the individual. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It depends. Also, some specialty restaurants are a la carte and some are a fixed price so deciding if a SDP credit is better or just paying a la carte is better depends on the individual. 

Thank you for answering my questions. Also regarding the drink package, do you know how much it costs to upgrade from Premium to Premium Plus? Starbucks is included in Prem Plus?

18 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Thank you for answering my questions. Also regarding the drink package, do you know how much it costs to upgrade from Premium to Premium Plus? Starbucks is included in Prem Plus?

$29pppd (per person per day) to upgrade to the Premium Plus Beverage Package but every person in the stateroom that is over 21 has to also upgrade if they have the standard PBP or pay full price ($128pppd) if they don't. It would depend on when you booked if the others in the stateroom have the PBP promo. If you booked when all adults in the same stateroom receive the PBP promo, it's $29pppd for the adults. Add 20% to everything. 

Specialty coffee is included with the PPBP but not with the PBP.  

Edited by Two Wheels Only