If this is the case from the CDC we are screwed

tallnthensome

2 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

This was a handling disaster.  They should not announce to the world until follow-up tests confirm a cast. I hope they have at least one PCR machine on board to confirm following rapid tests. If they don't, we will have false positives on many cruises !

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Vaccinations will work similar to testing today. Get a "prescription"/authorization. Make an appointment. Get a jab. You may be searching for miles around to find a vaccination center with vaccines. You may be booking weeks/months in advance if there is low availability. No need for central records.  

Centralized records are necessary to keep 'cheating', claiming non-existent health issues, to a minimum.  It won't be similar to testing today but more like getting a test months ago when the capacity to test was minimal.

13 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Yea, this is nuts.   I can't see how any state has a valid plan to identify the priority groupings.  My pharamacy can infer that I have diabeties because of my insulin prescription, but they don't have access to my diagnosis and a pharmacist is not qualified medically to make the call on this.  I am part of a very large group.  First comes priority health care workers and care home patients and staff.  Next will come the rest of health care workers and elderly and high priority jobs like teachers.  Pretty big group.  Next comes people with high risk health conditions - and 1 in 10 people has diabetes. It will take a long time to get through this group.  I am guessing it will be April-May for this group. I am hoping the state registry will have a pre-staging system so doctors can place people into the priority groups, and then you can go get the vaccine once you hear your group is eligible. And your record in the state registry is updated once you get your vaccines.

As I mentioned before, many of us do not use local pharmacies for all our prescriptions.  All of my prescriptions for recurring medications, ie, the ones linked to comorbidities, are obtained through express scripts.  I only use my local pharmacies for short-term prescriptions, like if my doctor prescriptions for an antibiotic.  BTW, your local doctor probably won't be able to administer these vaccines since he won't have the freezer capability to store the vaccines.  Now, your local doctor might be able to make an assessment of what priority group you're in and submit that to a centralized facility.

Here's a link to a NYTimes calculator that purports to estimate where you might be in the queue for the vaccine.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/03/opinion/covid-19-vaccine-timeline.html

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Vaccinations will work similar to testing today. Get a "prescription"/authorization. Make an appointment. Get a jab. You may be searching for miles around to find a vaccination center with vaccines. You may be booking weeks/months in advance if there is low availability. No need for central records.  

No...until the vaccination program has evolved to the point where sufficient supplies of vaccine are available for everyone who wishes to be vaccinated the process will look nothing like the way you typically get vaccinated for the flu, measles, polio or any other disease for which vaccines are routinely administered. That's why the CDC has published this playbook that guides the states in how to set up their vaccination programs:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/downloads/COVID-19-Vaccination-Program-Interim_Playbook.pdf

Further, central recordkeeping absolutely is being required by the CDC. The recordkeeping requirements are detailed in Appendix D of the CDC playbook, which starts on page 63 . You'll note that the required elements include an ID number you will be assigned, your name, address and date of birth.

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

This was a handling disaster.  They should not announce to the world until follow-up tests confirm a cast. I hope they have at least one PCR machine on board to confirm following rapid tests. If they don't, we will have false positives on many cruises !

Exactly, and yet I guarantee you that anyone who doubted the veracity of the initial report would have been written off as a crank or a conspiracy theorist. Healthy skepticism isn't the same as tinfoil hat lunacy. I'm always skeptical of these stories. Always.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Exactly, and yet I guarantee you that anyone who doubted the veracity of the initial report would have been written off as a crank or a conspiracy theorist. Healthy skepticism isn't the same as tinfoil hat lunacy. I'm always skeptical of these stories. Always.

On the other hand, the reach of the Internet and social media means we get to hear some things way faster than ever before and without the filter of media and police.  But my view on every first report is take note, nook for more sources and confirmation... remember that witness reports are often incorrect and subject to exaggeration! 

• Like 4