If this is the case from the CDC we are screwed

tallnthensome

That plan covers a lot but doesn't provide an essential part of the vaccination process.  

I suspect there will have to be an appointment system set up.  

One would apply for the vaccine including the appropriate health information, age, gender, race, and comordalities.   Based upon this information, the health department would prioritize applicants and assign them to a location, date, time, etc.  Relying upon pharmacies to gather this information only works if you use a single local pharmacy for all prescription.  Some use multiple pharmacies and others use mail order pharmacies.

Otherwise, you will have large crowds gathering at vaccination locations, ie, pharmacies, etc., only to learn that they are not yet eligible or there is no vaccine available at that location. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I heard on CNN perhaps by June all who want one should be able to get one.

Yes. On Tuesday "...Lt. Gen. Paul Ostrowski of OWS said by June, “A hundred percent of Americans who want the vaccine will have had the vaccine by that point in time.” "

Don't know if that is truly realistic, but hopefully it is

Edited by geegee1
Italics

26 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

No, sure didn't....it was a routine procedure.  This particular hospital just happened to have (more than) 7 nurses and 4 doctors....would think most hospitals do.  Also thought it was rather obvious that I'm not still in the hospital...I believe heart transplants would require at least an overnight stay.

Hope I explained all the obvious to ya.

You must have missed the sarcasm ..... Most people having an outpatient procedure don’t have time to discuss the Covid vaccine with 11 different health professionals as they themselves are usually very busy people ...... but whatever. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

You must have missed the sarcasm ..... Most people having an outpatient procedure don’t have time to discuss the Covid vaccine with 11 different health professionals as they themselves are usually very busy people ...... but whatever. 

Ya....whatever.  Fact remains, not everyone's narrative fits yours.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

That plan covers a lot but doesn't provide an essential part of the vaccination process.  

I suspect there will have to be an appointment system set up.  

One would apply for the vaccine including the appropriate health information, age, gender, race, and comordalities.   Based upon this information, the health department would prioritize applicants and assign them to a location, date, time, etc.  Relying upon pharmacies to gather this information only works if you use a single local pharmacy for all prescription.  Some use multiple pharmacies and others use mail order pharmacies.

Otherwise, you will have large crowds gathering at vaccination locations, ie, pharmacies, etc., only to learn that they are not yet eligible or there is no vaccine available at that location. 

From what I read from The Guardian, the UK will be sending emails/letters to every citizen notifying them of their appointment date and time to get the vaccine. 

The State of Georgia's Vaccination Plan also has a similar approach.  The state will allocate the vaccine to the 18 different health districts in the state based on mapping, modeling and forecasting of the needs in each region (see text below).  Based on that analysis, it will be up to each district to notify their residents when they are eligible to be vaccinated.

DPH will partner with academic institutions to conduct risk assessments to identify and categorize subset groups. Assessments will include geospatial analysis, modeling, and mapping of communities, the burden of disease, access to testing, vaccine providers, and places of employment to identify groups at the highest risk for disease or severe illness and available resources. Additionally, DPH will partner with the Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA) to map current vaccination providers to identify areas and communities where vaccination services are scarce.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GA Dave said:

From what I read from The Guardian, the UK will be sending emails/letters to every citizen notifying them of their appointment date and time to get the vaccine. 

The State of Georgia's Vaccination Plan also has a similar approach.  The state will allocate the vaccine to the 18 different health districts in the state based on mapping, modeling and forecasting of the needs in each region (see text below).  Based on that analysis, it will be up to each district to notify their residents when they are eligible to be vaccinated.

Which avoids the question of how does the district know which residents to notify since the district does not have complete medical records?

It also avoids the question of where do residents go to get the vaccination?  Supplies at each vaccination site will be limited.  How does Georgia plan on ensuring that residents at each site will match the amount of vaccine available.  Think back to the gas lines of the 70's.  Very similar situation.  Will Georgia assign a specific time for a specific resident to show up at a specific site for their vaccination?  How else will they avoid crowds and ensure proper social distancing?

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Which avoids the question of how does the district know which residents to notify since the district does not have complete medical records?

It also avoids the question of where do residents go to get the vaccination?  Supplies at each vaccination site will be limited.  How does Georgia plan on ensuring that residents at each site will match the amount of vaccine available.  Think back to the gas lines of the 70's.  Very similar situation.  Will Georgia assign a specific time for a specific resident to show up at a specific site for their vaccination?  How else will they avoid crowds and ensure proper social distancing?

See sections 4 and 7 in the document linked below.

https://dph.georgia.gov/document/document/covid-19-vaccination-plan-georgia/download

They have already identified the distribution sites in my area.  One of them is the same place where they currently do the indoor drive-through testing that I have already used twice prior to traveling.  You do not even need to get out of your car.  And, yes, you will have an assigned date and time, just like we have now for the testing.  You go to a website and pick the time you can make.  With the vaccines, the plan is to tell you a date range and you then pick the day/time available that meets your schedule.  It really is not that hard.

BTW, they already avoid crowds at the testing sites by having security provided by the National Guard and local law enforcement.

3 hours ago, GA Dave said:

https://dph.georgia.gov/document/document/covid-19-vaccination-plan-georgia/download

They have already identified the distribution sites in my area.  One of them is the same place where they currently do the indoor drive-through testing that I have already used twice prior to traveling.  You do not even need to get out of your car.  And, yes, you will have an assigned date and time, just like we have now for the testing.  You go to a website and pick the time you can make.  With the vaccines, the plan is to tell you a date range and you then pick the day/time available that meets your schedule.  It really is not that hard.

BTW, they already avoid crowds at the testing sites by having security provided by the National Guard and local law enforcement.

You're fortunate.   I've seen no information that Alabama has done something similar.  BTW, can you direct me to that portion of the Georgia plan that describes the process of assigned dates, times, locations, etc.

Edited by RocketMan275

On 12/3/2020 at 6:39 AM, bucfan2 said:

Good for you.  I'm still undecided about getting the vaccine.  In my continued research, spoke to 7 nurses and 4 doctors yesterday (was in for a procedure).....not a one of them is taking an 'unproven' vaccine.  Interesting.

Hope everyone does their own research as well, and certainly hope that CC isn't a big part of their research for other than 'links'.

I'll wait and see what happens.I remember during the Gulf War, the anthrax vaccine service members were forced to take and some of the not so nice side effects that DOD claims there was no evidence of

Edited by njkate
  • Like 2

On 12/3/2020 at 11:27 AM, geegee1 said:

Yes. On Tuesday "...Lt. Gen. Paul Ostrowski of OWS said by June, “A hundred percent of Americans who want the vaccine will have had the vaccine by that point in time.” "

Don't know if that is truly realistic, but hopefully it is

Unfortunately, the CDC also stated that they thought only 60% of the population would CHOOSE to have the vaccine.   That means that 40% will still be out there getting sick, clogging hospitals, and dying....   And THAT will keep our "dear leaders" in a panic mode and make them keep us all locked up (As much as they can)      Don't count  on the media to stop this hype for a year or so guys!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 9:19 AM, GA Dave said:

Neither Section 4 or 7 says anything about appointments.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:20 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Neither Section 4 or 7 says anything about appointments.

That part was on all of the local news sources.  They said, just like getting tested right now, all residents will receive specific appointment dates/times when their group is ready to receive the vaccine. 

Not sure how they will handle all the snow birds that live around here whose permanent address is up north........

On 12/3/2020 at 12:54 PM, GA Dave said:

DPH will partner with academic institutions to conduct risk assessments to identify and categorize subset groups. Assessments will include geospatial analysis, modeling, and mapping of communities, the burden of disease, access to testing, vaccine providers, and places of employment to identify groups at the highest risk for disease or severe illness and available resources. Additionally, DPH will partner with the Georgia Emergency Management Agency (GEMA) to map current vaccination providers to identify areas and communities where vaccination services are scarce.

We have two overseas trip planned for next year, a safari in E. Africa in July and a trip to Italy and TA cruise back to the USA in October.  We hope to receive our vaccinations before July.  Based on what I have read, that is likely.  Of course, first responders, medical teams and nursing homes will receive the vaccine first, but we should manage by July.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 12:55 PM, RocketMan275 said:

You're fortunate.   I've seen no information that Alabama has done something similar.  BTW, can you direct me to that portion of the Georgia plan that describes the process of assigned dates, times, locations, etc.

Alabama plan 

https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/covid19/assets/adph-covid19-vaccination-plan.pdf

On 12/4/2020 at 4:26 PM, FredT said:

Unfortunately, the CDC also stated that they thought only 60% of the population would CHOOSE to have the vaccine.   That means that 40% will still be out there getting sick, clogging hospitals, and dying....   And THAT will keep our "dear leaders" in a panic mode and make them keep us all locked up (As much as they can)      Don't count  on the media to stop this hype for a year or so guys!

If the 40% is primarily young people, that will not happen.  I agree that shutdown panic has been manipulated by some.   We do need to be careful until vaccines are widely available, but I am not going to panic considering the fatality rate for my age (72) with no co-morbities is less than 1%.

• Like 4

On 12/7/2020 at 11:29 AM, BirdTravels said:

Thank you. I've seen that plan and it does not (IIRC) address the issues I've raised.  As I understand it, various groups will be prioritized.  How will one know when one is eligible for the vaccine?  How will one know when and where they should go for the vaccine?  Unless that is carefully managed, the vaccination points will be overcrowded.  Some will be told they have insufficient priority and to come back at a later time.   

It appears that the government is relying upon pharmacies like walgreens, CVS, etc., to identify persons with illnesses that might move them up the priority queue.  However, many employers mandate the use of mail order pharmacies.  For example, I get almost all of my prescriptions through Express Scripts.  I can assure you Express Scripts won't be vaccinating people.

This is a recipe for chaos. 

The only way I can see that this will work is if there is a central point with access to patients records.  Those wanting the vaccine could apply to this point and receive specific appointment instructions for their vaccination, ie, location, date, and time.  No walkups allowed.  Without an appointment, no vaccine.

On 12/7/2020 at 8:51 AM, GA Dave said:

That part was on all of the local news sources.  They said, just like getting tested right now, all residents will receive specific appointment dates/times when their group is ready to receive the vaccine. 

Not sure how they will handle all the snow birds that live around here whose permanent address is up north........

More importantly, how will they know about comorbidities that affect priority for the vaccine?  Will they have access to everyone's health records?

These state plans were not written to provide useful information to those wanting the vaccine.  Not saying these plans aren't useful.  They are.  But there needs to be something written for the average person, not the government.

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Thank you. I've seen that plan and it does not (IIRC) address the issues I've raised.  As I understand it, various groups will be prioritized.  How will one know when one is eligible for the vaccine?  How will one know when and where they should go for the vaccine?  Unless that is carefully managed, the vaccination points will be overcrowded.  Some will be told they have insufficient priority and to come back at a later time.   

It appears that the government is relying upon pharmacies like walgreens, CVS, etc., to identify persons with illnesses that might move them up the priority queue.  However, many employers mandate the use of mail order pharmacies.  For example, I get almost all of my prescriptions through Express Scripts.  I can assure you Express Scripts won't be vaccinating people.

The only way I can see that this will work is if there is a central point with access to patients records.  Those wanting the vaccine could apply to this point and receive specific appointment instructions for their vaccination, ie, location, date, and time.  No walkups allowed.  Without an appointment, no vaccine.

It all depends on when vaccines are available. Remember, the US Government's strategy was to spread their orders for 600M doses across all viable manufacturers. (Not put all of their eggs in one basket). Only two have progressed to the point of requesting an emergency use orders. The US has ordered more Pfizer vaccines, but are behind other countries now.  Health care workers and folks in nursing homes will get the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. General population will get vaccines from other yet-to-qualify manufacturers when they are available. 

Vaccinations will work similar to testing today. Get a "prescription"/authorization. Make an appointment. Get a jab. You may be searching for miles around to find a vaccination center with vaccines. You may be booking weeks/months in advance if there is low availability. No need for central records.  

18 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Yea, this is nuts.   I can't see how any state has a valid plan to identify the priority groupings.  My pharamacy can infer that I have diabeties because of my insulin prescription, but they don't have access to my diagnosis and a pharmacist is not qualified medically to make the call on this.  I am part of a very large group.  First comes priority health care workers and care home patients and staff.  Next will come the rest of health care workers and elderly and high priority jobs like teachers.  Pretty big group.  Next comes people with high risk health conditions - and 1 in 10 people has diabetes. It will take a long time to get through this group.  I am guessing it will be April-May for this group. I am hoping the state registry will have a pre-staging system so doctors can place people into the priority groups, and then you can go get the vaccine once you hear your group is eligible. And your record in the state registry is updated once you get your vaccines.

Oof. Update: New York released their draft framework yesterday.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-announces-draft-new-york-state-covid-19-vaccination-administration-program 

The document is a mess. It defines 6 priorities, and 5 phases, and does not explain how those are mapped to each other!