Norwegian Getaway Ship

sgoldstein02

11 hours ago, DCP said:

Hi Marty! You're just one state north of us. 🙂  My husband and I loved to cruise, I will be learning how to cruise solo at some point. (he passed very unexpected just before Thanksgiving).  The Getaway and the Bliss are my favorites. We're sailing on the Bliss again (HOPEFULLY) in May. I am almost sure it will be canceled, but I haven't given up yet. It will be my daughter, SIL and me this time. We  have splurged for a Haven suite for us, instead of the two balconies we had originally booked. I know they did this hoping it will take some of the sting of missing my husband on my first cruise without him.  I will always love the Getaway, and the western Caribbean.  If you have any questions about her, I will help if I can!

Hi @DCP, very first thing, my condolences on the passing of your husband. I know it must be difficult.

Are you a Buckeye fan? Even though I'm up here in Michigan, I do like the Wolverines but I'm not an alumn. As you can tell from my signature block, I went to Texas A&M.

Also as you can see from my cruise history in my signature block, the only time I have cruised with NCL was "way back in the day" on the Sunward II. I primarily cruised Carnival when I was married, but now that I am single (divorced), I will be cruising solo and I have learned that Carnival is not so "solo friendly". However, I think I have found a way (as a solo) to continue to cruise with Carnival on their new Excel-class ships, Mardi Gras & Carnival Celebration (I'm booked on both). These new ships have "Junior Balcony" cabins which I think will be perfect for solos. The balcony is the same size as a regular balcony cabin but the room is just a tad smaller (sq ft) than a regular balcony cabin. Carnival is pricing these lower than regular balcony cabins and as a solo, if you book one with Carnival's Early Saver fare, it is "within reach" & reasonable (imo) for a solo cruiser, even with the solo supplement.

Thanks for the offer to answer any questions about the Getaway. I think the Bliss is a Breakaway + class ship & the Getaway is a Breakaway class? From the renderings, I can see where it looks the the Breakaway + class has more decks (taller superstructure) than the Breakaway class. From your experience with the two classes, what are the major differences?

I hope your cruise on the Bliss goes in May. A Haven suite sounds "sweet" (lol). Yeah, you may be right (unfortunately); May might be just a little bit too soon yet with this covid-19 pandemic. But, if they can speed up getting the emerging vaccines into everyone's arms, there may be a chance for May. I have been predicting the second 1/2 of this year (2021) for cruising to return to some semblance of "normalcy". I purposefully booked later this year (Oct) for my first cruise back. Hopefully, that will be enough time.

Take care and thanks for your post.

Cheers 🍻!

Has anyone done a trans Atlantic on Getaway? My April 2021 TA is going to be cancelled so I am looking at two for April 2022, The Getaway and The Dawn. I love the Jewel class so was leaning towards  Dawn as it is a smaller ship BUT The Getaway is about 1k cheaper for the 2 of us.

If you have done a TA on Getaway my question is just how crowded is it? 

Not meaning to still your thread but since it's about Getaway thought it would be ok

Edited by njkate

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, trufaith558 said:

Does anyone have pictures or video of cabin 9320? We can't find much at all online!

All balcony cabins are the same inside, with 2 layouts: Bed near the balcony, or bed near the bathroom.  9320 appears to be bed near the balcony.  Find any youtube video and pictures of a balcony cabin with the bed in that location and you have an accurate view.

Your balcony would be the lowest on a slanted aft end which means those above can look down into the sunny part of your balcony. You have a more private shady part. Your balcony will be larger than the typical tiny balcony which you would have on the sides or top few aft decks.  There are some larger balconies forward also.

For what it's worth, here is my review of our Baltic Cruise on the Getaway almost two years ago: 

We've sailed the Breakaway (her sister ship) twice, and have booked another cruise on the Breakaway for this coming summer (fingers crossed but I don't think we are sailing).  We really like both ships, the waterfront is our favorite part!

• Like 2

Did Getaway from Copenhagen to New Orleans, 2019.  Were in Haven .  the Ship was  crowded, and since we had a lot of inclement weather, inside venues were crowded., during a lot of days.    We fortunately had the luxury of the Haven to escape crowds, but still were out and  about ship.  It was a 19 day cruise and would give a pinkie toe to do it again!!  Everyone seemed to be enjoying day and night, but its a big Ship, so yes, they want to fill it up and think they did a good job of that.  Prices were pretty reasonable.  Whole different agenda now

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 11:41 AM, mrneva said:

Don't mean to steal this thread but I also want to know if someone has any experience with a room near the kids club Splash Academy?  Or does anyone know if its entrance is right be the elevators or in the hallway?  The room we're looking at is literally right next to it... the only things that separate our room from Splash is the hallway and a wall.

We  had a room right down from splash academy we never heard them.  We haev been on both breakaway and getaway and both near the academy. Never a sound.