What do other cruise lines do that you wish NCL did?

hallux

13 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I really don't like that because it's wrong! Why should anyone get the highest royalty level without any cruises on a line? It doesn't make any sense!

But I have done it myself! I don't like that they do it but since they do it of course I take advantage of it!

For me, I am loyal to Carnival because I love them but sometimes I want to cruise where they don't sail or from somewhere closer to home. This year, my Carnival Legend cruise for the Fjords was cancelled, so I rebooked on a Norwegian ship, but have to start over! Would be nice to get similar benefits to what I am used to I suppose 🙂

50 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

For me, I am loyal to Carnival because I love them but sometimes I want to cruise where they don't sail or from somewhere closer to home. This year, my Carnival Legend cruise for the Fjords was cancelled, so I rebooked on a Norwegian ship, but have to start over! Would be nice to get similar benefits to what I am used to I suppose 🙂

But can you honestly say that you think that it's fair that someone who hasn't cruised on a line can get their highest loyalty tier? I don't.

One risk is that the benefits are reduced because so many get them.

15 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Our main problem with NCL is still forced perks.  We don't drink heavily and the drink package perks add a lot of cost and an exceptionally heavy service charge.   On our last cruise (the Dawn)  I brought our own wine, paid the corkage charge and spent less on alcohol than we would have paid for JUST for the drink package service charge.

I don't understand what you mean by, "forced perks."  In all my bookings with NCL I have had the option to remove the drink package perk and the specialty dining perk, hence also removing the gratuity charges associated with those perks. What perks are forced upon you?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

But can you honestly say that you think that it's fair that someone who hasn't cruised on a line can get their highest loyalty tier? I don't.

One risk is that the benefits are reduced because so many get them.

Loyalty bonuses aren't about fairness though, they're about business.  Cruise lines give them to loyal patrons because they want them to keep cruising with those lines.

Similarly, other cruise lines (eg MSC) want those frequent cruisers for themselves.  It makes perfect sense from their perspective to offer a one time loyalty matching - now you can cruise with them, without 'losing' your perqs!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtrancher said:

I don't understand what you mean by, "forced perks."  In all my bookings with NCL I have had the option to remove the drink package perk and the specialty dining perk, hence also removing the gratuity charges associated with those perks. What perks are forced upon you?

Over three years ago NCL came up with this.  I haven't booked anything for months due to COVID-19, so I don't know if they have backed off from the so called free drinks, free internet, etc.   They did start with a so called Sailaway rate without perks, but those rates were not offered unless you booked late (closer to cruise date).   The Sailaway rate was one like a guarantee where NCL picks the cabin.  Don't care for that choice either.    I just did a test booking for a European cruise in 2022 and did find the Sailaway rate available, so perhaps they now offer it early (when I book).   By the way, the Sailaway rate was lower than the regular rates with perks, but wasn't the bargain that you once found with NCL.. The reason we started with NCL 10 years ago was it's great rates.   Now Royal C. and Princess look to be the least pricey.

5 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

Loyalty bonuses aren't about fairness though, they're about business.  Cruise lines give them to loyal patrons because they want them to keep cruising with those lines.

Similarly, other cruise lines (eg MSC) want those frequent cruisers for themselves.  It makes perfect sense from their perspective to offer a one time loyalty matching - now you can cruise with them, without 'losing' your perqs!

But is it good business to upset the loyal people who has cruised with them enough to reach the highest royalty level? They might attract new customers but they may also loose customers who has cruised with them a lot and spent lots of money.

I don't care about the loyalty perks because I get most of them anyway if I book Haven or Yacht Club but if I cared I shouldn't like that they gave the royalty perks I had earned by cruising with them a lot to someone who did their first cruise with them.      

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

This would make sense if loyalty perks were the same across lines; but they aren't remotely similar, let alone the number of cruises it takes to similar levels.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

But is it good business to upset the loyal people who has cruised with them enough to reach the highest royalty level? They might attract new customers but they may also loose customers who has cruised with them a lot and spent lots of money.

I don't care about the loyalty perks because I get most of them anyway if I book Haven or Yacht Club but if I cared I shouldn't like that they gave the royalty perks I had earned by cruising with them a lot to someone who did their first cruise with them.      

I dunno.  Maybe we're just very different types of people.

For me, I care more about what I'm getting - if somebody else gets that too, it doesn't bother me.  It doesn't make my free meal, or my bottle of wine any less enjoyable to know that the person in the next cabin is getting them too - why would that upset me?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

or my bottle of wine

Interesting that you bring that one up.  I've now sailed NCL 2x, on my second cruise I brought a couple first-time NCL cruisers with me (they stayed in their own cabin).  Our reservations were linked for dining and flight purposes.  They somehow also got the free bottle of wine given to returning Latitudes members even though they were first-time guests.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

For me, I care more about what I'm getting - if somebody else gets that too, it doesn't bother me.  It doesn't make my free meal, or my bottle of wine any less enjoyable to know that the person in the next cabin is getting them too - why would that upset me?

1. If lots of people get the loyalty perks for being at the highest level the perks will most likely be reduced. The perks for being Black with MSC were much better before they started with the status match so the true loyal customers get less now.

2. Free meals aren't really free, they are paid for by every customer. If more people get a "free" meal everyone has to pay for it. 

I am a coke drinker too so that would be my first thing. Obviously until NCL change from pepsi products I will just have to endure.

Royal Caribbean is the only other cruise line I have sailed with and one of the things I loved was getting a piece of pizza from the cafe. There were only really three or four choices but it was great to go to after a show or a quick lunch or snack. I know NCL has O'Sheenan but it's not the same.

I too liked the drink dispenser around the ship buy after our last cruise when the ship didn't have any. I didn't realise I missed it.

RC also had more trivia and entertainment throughout the day.

Edited by Yinster