So do I postpone Alaska again or wait ?

RetiredRich

We had cancelled our cruise to Hawaii back in March 2020, and we didn't get a better offer that came out the day after we cancelled.   So, it's better to let them cancel if you want more perks.  That said, we have a date marked for deadline to cancel on our Alaska cruise for late summer.

21 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

We had cancelled our cruise to Hawaii back in March 2020, and we didn't get a better offer that came out the day after we cancelled.   So, it's better to let them cancel if you want more perks.  That said, we have a date marked for deadline to cancel on our Alaska cruise for late summer.

We also have a late August Alaskan cruise out of Seattle planned. It is helpful now that final payment won't be due until 45 days before sailing. Regardless, it's usually best to let HAL cancel the cruise, which we intend to do.

16 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I don't think Alaska is going to happen this year.

Agree.  If someone has a specific cabin in mind perhaps they should book a refundable 2022 Alaska cruise now to get what they want then wait for HAL to cancel an already booked 2021 Alaska cruise to get the bumped up FCC.  At least they’d know they were assured of the cabin of their choice if they had to wait until 2022.  

1 minute ago, Reagan0712 said:

If someone has a specific cabin in mind perhaps they should book a refundable 2022 Alaska cruise now to get what they want then wait for HAL to cancel an already booked 2021 Alaska cruise to get the bumped up FCC.  At least they’d know they were assured of the cabin of their choice if they had to wait until 2022.  

Did that over Thanksgiving weekend as we had nothing but a bit of interest to lose. Here in FL even the travel insurance fee is refundable if we cancel a cruise before the penalty date. We'll go in either 2021 or 2022.  I'm thinking more likely in 2022.

• Like 2

Will they apply the FCC and OBC to the already booked cruise if you do that? Does Holland allow Lift and Switch that I read about on the Celebrity  board? If Holland cancels my August Alaska cruise, it will be the 3rd time. It seems each time I rebook, the price has gone up, canceling out my FCC. I would like to Lift and Switch( correct phrase??) If possible.

3 minutes ago, Grandma7 said:

Will they apply the FCC and OBC to the already booked cruise if you do that? Does Holland allow Lift and Switch that I read about on the Celebrity  board? If Holland cancels my August Alaska cruise, it will be the 3rd time. It seems each time I rebook, the price has gone up, canceling out my FCC. I would like to Lift and Switch( correct phrase??) If possible.

Yes, HAL will apply the suspended sailing FCC.

No, HAL does not have a Lift&Shift option. Only Royal Caribbean Ltd. cruise companies offer Lift and Shift

I had an FCC from a cancelled Asia (!) cruise last March, and had been planning to use it in a 2022 Alaska cruise when those were announced, preferably Seattle to Seattle to avoid international flights. But the prices on those are so high, I decided to go for a cruise in Australia. Similar price for a longer cruise. My feeling is that when the issues of cruising in the age of Covid are solved in one place, they will be solved everywhere, so Australia will probably open up when Canada/Alaska does. I am taking a risk but I think it’s a good one. And I will get an even more memorable cruise out of it if my bet pays off!

In your case, I agree with the advice to wait and let HAL cancel. But when (if) you pick another cruise, think about if Alaska is what you really want. If so, go for it, but if not, go where you want to go!