Uniworld River Cruise Line Confirms May Restart – Or Not...

Host Jazzbeau

Just now, CUTTERSAM said:

Oh sorry. I thought you meant their given names. Mea Culpa. BTW. Uniworld just suspended my 5/30 cruise on Douro FINALLY!!

If I understand the rule's origin, it's to protect the TAs who advertise on CC.  So no agency or personal names.

Meanwhile, that's great (if still really late) news about your cruise.  I'm planning a Douro cruise for 2022, and after comparing many different lines I'm leaning toward Scenic.  You might want to consider them for the rebooking.  [Don't let them pull that 'suspended' business.  Your cruise is cancelled and you should demand your money back.]

33 minutes ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Oh sorry. I thought you meant their given names. Mea Culpa. BTW. Uniworld just suspended my 5/30 cruise on Douro FINALLY!!

Sorry about your cruise but at least you got an answer.

20 hours ago, Lance88 said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on a hotel in Porto where we can stay before the cruise departs.

Unfortunately my trip to Porto in January 2021 was cancelled for obvious reasons, but I did a heap of research, and from what I learned, I would agree with JP.  Pestano Vintage Porto definitely seemed the nicest at a half way reasonable price for having a lovely view.

I still actually have a reservation with them for next January, but our government will not open our borders by then, so I have to cancel it unfortunately.

@CUTTERSAM, glad you finally got word on your cruise, sorry you now have to go through the ring to cancel all the other plans.  I hope you don't have as hard of time getting your funds refunded as you did getting an answer as to whether or not the cruise goes.  

Good luck, and just think...now you have a lot more time to plan...trying to think of some good for you. 😉

• Like 1

Glad to hear that Uniworld finally did the reasonable thing and suspended your May 30 cruise. We are still waiting for a decision on our June 6 cruise. I don't expect one until there is a decision from the EU this week on allowing US tourists. If it goes ahead , I am sure we will be scrambling with testing , transfers , etc. I am also concerned about being the first cruise.

44 minutes ago, Lance88 said:

Glad to hear that Uniworld finally did the reasonable thing and suspended your May 30 cruise. We are still waiting for a decision on our June 6 cruise. I don't expect one until there is a decision from the EU this week on allowing US tourists. If it goes ahead , I am sure we will be scrambling with testing , transfers , etc. I am also concerned about being the first cruise.

The EU voted to allow all vaccinated people into the EU.  No date announced.  They also raised the threshold for “red” countries.

Be careful nothing is ever straightforward with the EU. Don’t get me wrong as there are I think 27 countries and although their respective EU representatives agree it then has to be ratified by their respective heads of government. I’m keeping everything crossed as I can see the U.K. being banned for several reasons not the least being the Indian variant, at the moment I wouldn’t blame them. CA

Canal archive, I agree. The EU only gives a recommendation. The governments decide.

In Germany the UK is already back on the risk list due to the quality not the quantity, this means although the infection rate is below the threshold, the Indian variant is the deciding factor to determine that the situation in Britain (UK) poses a risk.

Just when I was thinking that things may be better in August and I could perhaps go to the island, the situation deteriorates.

Also be aware that getting to a river cruise transiting the UK may cause a problem. No idea what the rule will be, but be aware of that, especially as the UK is not part of the Schengen area.

notamermaid

I’m booked in France for a June 20th river cruise.  They might be asking the passengers if we would like to learn to be deckhands, waiters or butlers.  I fly direct from Dallas into Paris.  Macron says he will open France to vaccinated Americans on June 9th.  Yes, I’m fully vaccinated.  The cruise is totally within France’s borders.  I connect thru Heathrow on my return flight.  I need a covid test to transit Heathrow and one to enter the US.  Will find a test that satisfies both.  Unless things go bad in France, I think this will happen.  It will be an adventure.

Edited by GoesBoom
  • Like 1

Still no word from Uniworld on our June 6 , 2021 Douro cruise. They apparently have enough information to cancel cruises in June in France but not in Portugal. They don't even have the courtesy to send an email advising customers what is going on and when they will decide. Just terrible.

Phoned Uniworld again regarding our Prague and Danube Cruise on 28th June as it has disappeared from web page. Informed that it might just be because they are not taking any more bookings for June cruises!!! and these dates are "under discussion" she said that Cruises have been cancelled until 14th June - so far.

We are now less than two weeks from our June 6 Douro cruise and still no decision from Uniworld. When I talked with them yesterday  they claimed that the cruise was still on and I would be contacted if anything changed. I asked them when I would be getting my cruise documents and they had no response. I expressed to them by dissatisfaction with how this was being handled and they asked for my patience. They apparently don't care how they are treating their customers. 

10 minutes ago, Lance88 said:

I asked them when I would be getting my cruise documents and they had no response.

I am sorry to read that. If the cruise is a go I do not understand why you cannot get cruise documents now. Two weeks out seems rather short - and apparently they cannot say when they will send them. It sounds fishy to me and I fully understand your annoyance. Is there some legal implementation that if they send you the documents and then the cruise does not sail, it is of negative impact to the company? Never heard of such a thing, but I have only sailed on one cruise. That was under normal circumstances and with EU rules applying so not comparable at all. I don't know, but judging from many reports over the last three years on this board, Uniworld has lost some of its customer service and reputation in my mind. Unfortunately not just in mine.

I do hope this will sort itself out soon to your satisfaction and that your Douro cruise is all that you wish for, with service on the ship that completely outshines the office service you have experienced so far.

notamermaid