The View From Inside

jetsfan58

5 minutes ago, mom says said:

I seem to recall a small sign on or beside the balcony door asking that the door not be left open. But that may not be on all ships. It should be, IMO.

It sure makes a lot of sense.  I just can't remember a notice like but that doesn't mean it isn't there.     I seem to recall a notice that the A/C was off while the door was open.  Very likely I'm thinking of a cruise ship balcony but saw the sign on a hotel balcony.  

18 minutes ago, clo said:

Maybe the cabin's stewards should have little cards explaining what the deal is and leave it for the offenders.

On Princess, Norwegian, and Carnival, there have been cards attached to the wall right beside the balcony door stating that the door needs to remain closed. I don't remember reading anything in the daily newsletters, however.

Edited by mammajamma2013
Add a comment
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It sure makes a lot of sense.  I just can't remember a notice like but that doesn't mean it isn't there.     I seem to recall a notice that the A/C was off while the door was open.  Very likely I'm thinking of a cruise ship balcony but saw the sign on a hotel balcony.  

I will check it out when we resume cruising in 2021... we have been cruising since the l980s by the way. I would think I would have noticed such a message.  

2 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

On Princess, Norwegian, and Carnival, there have been cards attached to the wall right beside the balcony door stating that the door needs to remain closed.

Remained closed what does that really mean?  I always close the balcony door when we leave the cabin, could mean that.  I will ask next time on board.  

Just now, pris993 said:

I will check it out when we resume cruising in 2021... we have been cruising since the l980s by the way. I would think I would have noticed such a message.  

Funny you should say this.  I was just thinking if I get on a  cruise ship again, the first thing I'm going to check is exactly this!  As Mrs Ldubs will attest, I frequently forget important details (sometimes on purpose) but this will stick with me! Haha.  

1 minute ago, pris993 said:

Remained closed what does that really mean?  I always close the balcony door when we leave the cabin, could mean that.  I will ask next time on board.  

"Remain closed" means keep the door closed. I would think that means unless you are going out to your balcony or coming back in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Funny you should say this.  I was just thinking if I get on a  cruise ship again, the first thing I'm going to check is exactly this!  As Mrs Ldubs will attest, I frequently forget important details (sometimes on purpose) but this will stick with me! Haha.  

Yes, when we return, given concerns over the virus, I would guess many more people would prefer fresh air by the way.  I will check with  maintenance, if not a problem will continue doing what I have been doing. 

4 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

"Remain closed" means keep the door closed. I would think that means unless you are going out to your balcony or coming back in.

I did a quick search and every result said keep it closed "unless you are going out...or in." That ought to be enough for anyone.

22 minutes ago, pris993 said:

I don't really seen the need to keep the balcony door closed unless there is a big different between inside and outside temperatures.    I really don't like air conditioning.  I keep the temperature in our cabin set at the lowest setting for heat so I don't have the air conditioning going.  

But see it's really not what we as individuals "like." If my being comfortable negatively affects others then I have to put aside my preferences.

53 minutes ago, clo said:

But see it's really not what we as individuals "like." If my being comfortable negatively affects others then I have to put aside my preferences.

Give up you are not the cruise police.  I said I would check if I can still do it will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Give up you are not the cruise police.  I said I would check if I can still do it will.

Sheesh.  Seems pretty clear to me.  If the cruise line says no, then don't.  If they say yes, then it is your option.   My guess is the answer if "no" but for this I would be guided by the cruise line, not a forum.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

You of course mean 2023. It is quite unlikely that cruising will resume in 2021.All the mail and e-mail I receive daily are for 2022 and 2023.

It is interesting talking about inside cabins

then asking what, who is a host... and finally about leaving the balcony door open ....well you can't leave the outside door open on an inside cabin......

So back to inside cabins.... and   people like them because they are cheap and don't spend much time in them.......  or is it,  they don't spend time in them because it is an inside cabin ?????

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Sheesh.  Seems pretty clear to me.  If the cruise line says no, then don't.  If they say yes, then it is your option.   My guess is the answer if "no" but for this I would be guided by the cruise line, not a forum.  

I would like her to consult someone other than a 'worker bee.' Those people are there to please us. IMO.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

You of course mean 2023. It is quite unlikely that cruising will resume in 2021.All the mail and e-mail I receive daily are for 2022 and 2023.

That's my conservative thought. We have a cruise booked for 9/22 but I'm completely comfortable that we may need to cancel due to ongoing COVID issues.

20 minutes ago, clo said:

I would like her to consult someone other than a 'worker bee.' Those people are there to please us. IMO.

I want her to go straight to the captain.  😀    

Edited by ldubs

25 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

So back to inside cabins.... and   people like them because they are cheap and don't spend much time in them.......  or is it,  they don't spend time in them because it is an inside cabin ?????

I don't know.  Probably both, but again I'm sure cost is the significant factor.   I don't much hang out for fun in my cabin (with some exceptions), regardless of the type of cabin. 

But now, I'm going to agree it is to avoid the balcony door issue!  😀  

• Like 1

If there there is a notice on on the door "" please keep closed ""  then do it.....

So the little light on the dashboard reminds you to put your seatbelt ON....

Do you do it ??? .... the world is full of rules..... which most people follow...

Then there are the one... who think it doesn't apply to them..... or go to some higher person....

It is simple  the sign says it all "" please keep closed "" pretty simple......

What next are we to question ""Crew only""  and  ""emergency exit ""   Signs as well ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, clo said:

I've been known to go to CEOs of major companies when I want THE WORD.

I believe you.  I think we might be investing too much in this balcony door issue.  🙂

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

I believe you.  I think we might be investing too much in this balcony door issue.  🙂

Agree. I first read about it here probably from @chengkp75 and that was good enough for me.

1 minute ago, getting older slowly said:

If there there is a notice on on the door "" please keep closed ""  then do it.....

So the little light on the dashboard reminds you to put your seatbelt ON....

Do you do it ??? .... the world is full of rules..... which most people follow...

Then there are the one... who think it doesn't apply to them..... or go to some higher person....

It is simple  the sign says it all "" please keep closed "" pretty simple......

What next are we to question ""Crew only""  and  ""emergency exit ""   Signs as well ????

Looks like balcony doors are going to live a long life today.  Lol.   

I don't think anyone suggested the posted rule not be followed?